3 Realities after Redskins game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 16, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While it wasn't a great game for us, it was the 2nd preseason game. Teams aren't exactly gameplanning and playing to win. Let's see how they look next week when the starters will play the longest. I do agree that the OL and pass rush need to be addressed in 2019.

playtowinthegame and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am actually POSITIVE about the Jets going forward

Frankly I am sick of : 1 Talking about O line problems ...if management doesn't see THAT they should go 2 Looking for miracles from observing preseason games so far 3 Being a grumpy darksider who thinks this is a 3 win season...actually I think we get to 6 WINS ..ahahah

..keeping Teddy around is a BIG reason for optimism, Sam is on a quick learning curve, the kicker looks good and their are some standout players eg Shepard

So the third preseason game with most starters out there will tell us a lot more...yes

Interesting contrast between Bowles and Gruden last night..one was engaged on his headphones talking to his Coaches... the other staring off into space like he's in the Dead Zone ..hmmm

tomdeb and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

That's like saying a dead clock is right twice a day. Historically speaking? That's a bit subjective because imo, if the fans had the opportunity to run this franchise it would have most likely moved out of NY metro area years ago - to someplace west of the Mississippi. Fans can arm chair all they want about which players they despise or want to rid of, but in the end it's all about coaching.

I can pick a few other players on both sides of the ball to ream .... and when the dust settles , will there be a team left? Players need time to develop. Look at Jordon Jenkins - up to this point what has he accomplished? Nada, zilch. The LB corp has been disappointing as a whole.

Ok , I'm in the Darnold camp but he's best put on the bench until we can really see how the OL pans out. Unfortunately, Bridgewater and McCown will have to be the sacrificial lambs.

edit: It's also the fickleness of the media , besides the fans. Would it be right to anoint the starting QB for game 1 to Darnold based on 2 preseason games? It would be a disaster, imo.

#23 BomberJet, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Can't believe no one is talking about the best, or at least second-best, unfamiliar new player over the first two preseason games. That man's name is......

Bertolet

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The media guys said all week that the Redskins were simply better. It was on display last night. The Redskins dominated in the trenches. If that was a regular season game they win easily

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. A.The OL is completely ineffective in all facets
    B.We have zero pass rush
    C.Our prized secondary was getting torched by back-ups

It was just preseason,we had a unique week logistically & plenty of injuries..but i have a hard time not believing my eyes that this is 4-12 all over again..bc so many other preseasons have looked just like this

tomdeb, 94Abraham and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I do think that that is what it comes down to. The eyeball test says that the obvious weaknesses of the Jets (weak o line, no pass rush, weak LB play) are still there, whether it's preseason or not. I'm not convinced Washington is all that good, but there's no evidence to suggest the Jets are.

tomdeb, TonyFtLaud, FJF and 2 others like this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Agree.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good analysis. I hope the Redskins are good. Otherwise it’s going to be a lonnnnnng season

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Eh, pre-season. Remember when the Jets went 5 - 0 in '92 in the pre-season and then choked during the regular season? 4 - 12, infamy is thy name. I guess it's an indicator of sorts. Like a failed polygraph test.

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm generally "glass empty" when it comes to the Jets, but there were a lot of positives last night.

1. They were playing on the road where it's always tougher to win.
    2. And this is big IMO. The whole off-season was taken up by the Cousins story and the subsequent Redskins signing of a seasoned veteran, Alex Smith, to replace him. Now, so the story goes, the Redskins will have a proven offensive QB who'll put up more points than Cousins could dream about. Well, he started the game and drove the skins down the field, but he stalled in the red zone and the Jets D held them to a FG.
    3. Jets D allowed no TD's for the 2nd straight game.
    4. Teddy played well again and led a 4th Q comeback.
    5. Thought Darnold came back to earth a bit, but still looked like he was in control. He had a few bad breaks, but the score was such that had he stayed in the game, he could have rallied to win it.

Negative:

1. Agree that Lee is not up to the challenge at ILB. He is getting beaten badly on running plays at the LOS. With his supposed speed, why don't they try him on the outside?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

All this vanilla talk

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

How much of a factor is #2? Being at another team's field, I think one day's practice was cut short due to weather as well, is bound to impact to some extent. There are clearly benefits to going up against someone else in practice, but surely some potential negatives too. As the visiting team then you would think there would be more impact on the Jets than Wash?

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Vanilla coke in vanilla ice cream.

15. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

This x 1,000,000,000.

Just because he has been a clear failure at MLB doesn't mean he has to be a complete failure in general. I think his size (lack thereof) was a pretty large concern when he was drafted, so why not try to best use his skills? In that situation, I would think with the roster as currently constructed they should play a 4-3 (My thought has always been if you have shitty LBs you should NOT play a 3-4).

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

we don't have a MLB

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Williamson is a MLB and a good one.

18. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

we don't have a mlb that can cover

19. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Bottom line: Which unit on the Jets is better, LBs or D-Line. I understand that neither is a top 5 unit, but D-Line is definitely the superior of the two. Thus, I prefer the 4-3. Stop the run, and what should be a great secondary can prevent the big plays. Bend don't break defense.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The thing is, they're already pretty much stopping the run except for some rookie blown containment. We don't have any legit 4-3 DE edge rushers either. I'd love to convert to a 4-3 D as well, but that would delay the rebuild another draft or two unless Mac could sign all the missing parts in FA next offseason.