Teddy must be week 1 sttarter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 16, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The more posts I read from @Charlie Kelly, the more I think he's just a troll who's not interested in discussing football and the Jets.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

So then it's not about the o-line? I can't argue with what you believe to be true but what have you seen, read or heard would lead you to believe that Darnold may not be mentally ready? All reports and video evidence seem to point otherwise.

3. What benefit is there to keeping a QB for one season when in reality this is a 5 win team?We literally gain nothing..hes not here for the long term & isnt helping us get better moving forward.

Id rather start Mccown or have sam struggle through 16 games & get a draft pick for Teddy than see him play.

Unless one thinks this is anything more than our typical embarassing physically inferior team..which it is there is literally no compelling argument other than lack of patience & wanting to win meaningless games to finish 6-10 rather than 3-13..which is where we’re headed. And all this does is hurt draft stock..ugh oh theres that argument again..

Peebag likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There is value at least for this year in having a more than capable back up which may or may not net you a pick depending how the cards fall.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with this. We have nothing to gain by starting Teddy unless it's to boost his trade value and there's no guarantee that happens once the games mean something. He's not signing here as a backup next year so he's not part of the future. We have a small window to capitalize on Teddy... we have to do it. It's tough because Teddy is extremely easy to root for and truth be told, he's probably looked the best so far. And this is coming from a guy who didn't really want Teddy here to begin with for this very reason (logjam).

I dunno, but finally I have some faith that it will work out in our favor.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

What's the $ for franchising a QB?

7. BroadwayAaron

Way way way way more than anyone should pay Teddy Bridgewater, especially when you're trying to build a team around your [at that point] 2nd year QB that has already shown plenty of potential and promise.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's about the o-line too. I trust Teddy with a crappy offensive line, cause he did it with the Vikings. Darnold, from practices I've heard, he's not connecting on the deep ball, he has the arm but I think he's putting too much touch on some of his throws, and I think that's mental. Can Darnold check the offense into the right play? I would like to see Teddy on the field so Darnold can watch a professional execute the offense.

Darnold is doing great, but it's not the end of the world if he sits a few games.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

McCown ?

He was top 14 last season was he not :)

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This year, $23.189 million. Once the Rogers deals gets done, it's probably in the 26-28 million range.

The 2018 Jets are going to be terrible. Maccagnan needs to empty the wallet for free agents in 2019. Going to be furious if we squander a top 3 pick by surrounding him with practice squad talent.

Jets81, NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think they will be terrible, I think the lack of a pass-rush will be an issue, but I think the offensive line will better protect the QB when Beachum and Winters come back. I don't see them being a top 3 pick type team this year.

themorey likes this.
  12. quazeye

quazeye New Member

Especially since Darnold can't seem to throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field, at the moment.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Top 14 ranked
    Top 30 Best

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure this isn’t a wild card contender with teddy at qb. The afc is top heavy and mediocre after that.

BomberJet and Acad23 like this.
  15. FJF

Love the classics

16. BroadwayAaron

1 post. New member. Joined yesterday.

Go back to the Bills board you came from.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gotta love those 60 yard incompletions.

18. FJF

On a screen pass

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whereas it is true that Teddy hasn't played against the other teams' #1 D yet, it is also true that he hasn't played with our #1 offensive unit. With a really subpar OL and offensive players, he has moved the team, put points on the board and almost has us at 2-0. Were it not for several dropped passes by Jets' receivers, he may have led the Jets to 2-3 TDs last night.

Teddy was making reads and moves last night that Darnold can still only dream about. I want Darnold to learn those things from Teddy. Having Teddy around will help Darnold learn and improve more quickly. I agree that Teddy should start against the Giants not only so the Jets' brass can get a better understanding of how he's playing, but also to see if he can further enhance his trade value. I love Teddy, but am torn. I'd love to get a 2nd round pick for him or maybe even a first if another team's starter goes down once the season starts, but I'd also love to keep him for a full season and enjoy watching him play and letting Darnold learn from him. If Teddy stays and starts, our draft position may not be very good; OTOH, if we trade Teddy recoup at least a 2nd round pick and either McCown starts the first 4-5 games and then hands the reins to Darnold or Darnold starts the entire season, I think our draft position will not only be a lot better, but we'll have that additional pick for Teddy and we could quite possibly get our future LT and a topflight edge rusher as well. Then again, if Darnold doesn't develop as fully as we hope, we could easily regret trading Teddy.

I don't think we have any shot at the playoffs even with Teddy. I think Teddy is probably better than a top 16 QB. I think he's more like a top 10 QB. He may not have a cannon for an arm, but his arm is stronger than it was, and he has plenty of zip on the ball. He sees the field very well, is mobile, doesn't turn the ball over often, and makes good, quick decisions. He is a leader and inspirational player and person.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the smart move would be to start the season with Bridgewater but this organization will overthink it and trade him... SMH sometimes they kill me.

mute, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.