2018 Yankees Season Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by GQMartin, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

This team is impressing me less and less. They're lethargic and don't seem to have any fire. Yes, the loss of Judge is a big one, but they have enough talent to overcome it. Unfortunately, last year gave us very high expectations, and the media hyping this group as the new '98 Yankees didn't help.

Boone's Barney Act (you're all super-dee-duper) is wearing thin. Enough with the excuses. This is the major leagues and New York, All excuses will get you is a bucket of shit and a bus ticket home.

I saw only part of yesterday's game, but I saw Bird loaf to first on his groundball in the 7th inning. When you're hitting .211, you should at least run hard. Now, Boone is suggesting that fatigue is Bird's problem. If so, why are you playing him? There's a place for fatigued players; it's called the bench. Beyond that, why would a 25-year-old be fatigued. I wonder if Cashman is scanning the waiver wires for a replacement first basemen. I hope so. There comes a point where a GM has to say this guy may never get it and we can't wait around for him to try to figure it out.

As for Cessa, there's a great book by Roger Angell called A Pitcher's Story that documents David Cone's last year with the Yankees. In that book, Cone is very perceptive and offers a lot of good insights (far better than he ever does on YES). He called guys like Cessa "low-aptitude guys." They have great stuff but can't win. Pitching is an art, and guys like Cessa don't understand that. Guys with lesser stuff win consistently, but guys like Cessa don't.Again, there comes a point where a GM has to say this guy may never get it and we can't wait around for him to try to figure it out.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Only have to look at the softball managing the team

Girardi would be lighting a fire under their asses instead of holding hands and discussing feelings

3. Since1969

The conventional wisdom is that when you replace a tight-ass (like Girardi), you go to a looser guy. Think Bob Lemon replacing Billy Martin in 1978, or maybe Torre replacing Showalter in '96. The problem is that Cashman may have gone too far the other way when he chose Boone. Even Torre, who was considered a player's manager, would ream his troops when necessary. Ultimately, choosing a first-time manager is a crap shoot. The larger question is what leverage a manager has over his players these days, other than blasting them in the press or tearing them a new asshole behind closed doors.

4. Since1969

Does anyone have a reaction to Pedro Martinez's comments about the Yankees? I hate to admit it, but I think he's on to something. This team doesn't seem to play with much passion or fire. There seems to be something missing. Sure, they've had key injuries, but that doesn't explain lethargic play.

By the way, how much longer can they stick with Greg Bird and his .202 batting average (.292 OBP)? As an added bonus, he provides mediocre defense at first base.

Yeah, I'm pissed after tonight's game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/08/22/yankees-pedro-martinez-al-east/1060455002/

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I agree with Pedro. The team lost its fire.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Never saw a team 32 games over .500 with this many holes, spotty starting pitching, bullpen leaking, sloppy defense, poor fundamentals, no backup outfielders, no backup 1st baseman

CBG and GQMartin like this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The Yankees just can't catch a break with the injuries. It's simply insane. I think Pedro's talking out his rear. It's easy and lazy to just chalk it all up to no effort or passion, but the team is legitimately missing major pieces right now and it explains the recent mediocrity.

8. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Charmin Boone sucks, but this is all on Cashman who thought he was smarter than everyone else

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

uniforms are a travesty

RPOZ51 and Since1969 like this.
  10. Since1969

Yeah, there are a lot of bowling leagues and beer-league softball teams out there that would have refused to wear such hideous uniforms.

I can't believe how bad the Orioles are. Adam Jones is the only legitimate major-leaguer in that lineup. I feel bad watching Buck Showalter manage those stiffs. It's like watching Bill Parcells coaching replacement players during the 1987 NFL strike.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

No names on the back is so 1930.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  12. Dierking

I see your Mets are having a nice season

13. Rollo Tomassi

Well that was uncalled for.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Beats no names on the roster.

Dierking likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

I was told there was no bullying on this board.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just like that we're 6 games out with 32 to play. Will we catch the Sox? Probably not, but things have gotten interesting over the last week. That sweep in Boston looms large now. We'd be 4 back if we took just 1 game up there.

17. Since1969

I hear ya, but let's not get too excited over a sweep of the O's. They are truly pathetic. What other team would have Chris Davis signed at $21 ,million per year through 2022. This weekend, his nickname on the back of his uniform was "Crush." "Whiff" would have been more fitting.

18. Dierking

That’s gonna leave a mark

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Only 5 games in the loss column

20. Rollo Tomassi

I’m a Met/Jet fan. My body is 95% scar tissue.

Leaving further marks isn’t moving the needle any.

Since1969 likes this.