To Which Team & When Teddy Is Traded?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Said no one, ever.

Please stop acting as if a former Rookie of the year & former 1st round pick turned Pro-Bowler with a career winning percentage of over 60%, a career accuracy percentage of 64.7%, a career QB Rating of 87.0 while posting an 11-5 record as only a 2nd year player (2015) and still only 25 years of age "isn't worth" anything more than a "4th or 6th round draft pick"...

Despite the fact that Sam freaking Bradford went for (value) and was traded for a 1st round draft pick (+ a 4th round pick) even after two ACL injuries, a head concussion, multiple knee bruises, multiple left (non-throwing) shoulder injuries, 3 (high) ankle sprains along with not one, but two season ending ACL injuries) etc etc

But yet Teddy Bridgewater at only 25 years of age (after a potentially outstanding Preseason performance) is now only worth a "4th to 6th rounder at best" from a QB starved franchise during a sign and trade? Since when? Complete horse shit.

It's both hypocritical and funny how you can sit here and claim that Sam Darnold as a Rookie is being "robbed" of Training Camp reps but then immediately use "Tom Brady" of all QB's, as an ''example".

As if Tom Brady wasn't backing up Drew Bledsoe during Brady's rookie campaign.

Tom Brady only played 1 game as a rookie and was Drew Bledsoe's water boy during 1st team practice reps up until week two of Brady's 2nd year.

Teddy Bridgewater is "hurting" Sam Darnold? Let me guess, did Drew Bledsoe also "hurt" Tom Brady (asked no one, ever)?

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Is there another type of concussion?

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

If we could keep Teddy, I'd never demand trading him for draft assets.

In a perfect world, yes, Teddy Bridgewater would create for the best backup QB this Franchise has seen since the days of Chad Pennington before became starter.

But that's the problem. This is not a perfect world and we can not keep Teddy on the bench as being "one of the league's best backups".

That's wishful thinking, but it's just not football reality. You can never consider a player who only agreed to sign a one year contract as a 1 year rental (to begin with) as being some type of a "great insurance policy". You just can't.

By the time Teddy ever started to cry for a trade, he'd already be out of N.Y as an up and coming Free Agent come the offseason. Therefore Maccagnan loses him for nothing in return.

You can not confuse a Teddy Bridgewater who's on an NFL comeback trail to stardom with a Ryan Fitzpatrick or a Josh McCown type of career NFL backup. You just can't. Teddy doesn't want to be anybody's backup. He has different dreams than the dreams of Fitzpatrick & McCown.

He's either traded for future draft assets or he's gone come free agency for nothing in return. It's as simple as that. But becoming and then being a long term 2nd string option of a backup QB behind a rookie in Sam Darnold unfortunately... Just isn't an option. Not for Teddy Bridgewater the person or the competitor it isn't.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I forgot Macc had to out-bid 30 other teams to steal this great former first round QB. I thought pretty much no one wanted him.

As far as a rookie QB getting reps in TC, I thought that was important. My bad. I never realized a rookie QB in his first NFL TC could lose half his reps to a marketing ploy and he'd be just fine. I learn something new every day!

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm all for Darnold becoming opening night starter @ Detroit if he's able to continue proving his worth and capability throughout Preseason. I would truly and absolutely love it.

But let's stop acting like...

Terry Bradshaw never backed up Terry Hanratty.

Steve Young never backed up Joe Montana.

Aaron Rodgers never backed up Brett Favre.

Tom Brady never backed up Drew Bledsoe.

As rookies.

Even the likes of Brett Favre, Tony Romo, Philip Rivers and Kurt Warner all started off as backups.

My best advice is to study and learn the history of football before making outlandish remarks such as Teddy is "hurting" Sam Darnold as a rookie while "stealing" First-Team reps.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

There is the rare hemorrhoid concussion, quite devastating. It is cause by sitting at a computer typing out agonizingly long and tedious posts on message boards.

NY Jets68, NotSatoshiNakamoto and FJF like this.
  7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

jacksonville is finacially committed to bortles for 2018 and 2019. theyre well over the cap next year and cant afford both QBs past this season ... that trade doesnt make much sense for them or teddy

denver is looking really shaky at the qb postion. keenum hasnt looked good and lynch has been terrible. their current backup is chad kelly and i dont think hes quite ready for that role ... id hate to deal teddy within the conference, but denver is the team that i would engage

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

You make good points about Jacksonville and their lack of available cap space.

But Denver is also financially committed to Case Keenum for the next two years ala cap hit of 15M (2018) and $21M (2019). And Denver is also in a bit of salary cap hell themselves. Come next season they'll be bottom 5 in available cap space only behind the Dolphins, Vikings, Jaguars & Eagles.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Keep him.

McCown should be the odd man out.

Ya never know what can happen.

This dude could turn out to be our Nick Foles.

10. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

yeah except for the super bowl thing. have you even looked at our oline?

11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

So you think nothing has changed, people aren't looking at Teddy differently since he signed with the Jets? You think that his knee being a total unknown at the time of his signing, when his coach at Minny told all that he wasn't healthy, is different today? Jets had a need, Jets had a hole at QB, Jets had more cap room and Jets were in a position to take the chance on Teddy.

Oh, and Macc of the Jets was smart to take that chance.

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Nick Foles was on a two year contract.

Teddy is not.

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I really can't pinpoint the when, but I can see Tampa Bay, Denver or Jacksonville.

14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

if keenum is cut next year, denver saves 11 mill with 10 mill in dead money. bortles would save jax 4.5 mill with 16.5 in dead money. hes nearly impossible to cut

denver will cut d thomas, e sanders, and a few fringe players in 2019 to get well under the cap

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What does any of this have to do with our franchise rookie QB getting every rep he can possibly get in his first NFL TC? Wouldn't Darnold benefit from those reps taken from him to showcase Bridgewater? What's more important: Getting Sam as prepared as possible -or- getting a 4th instead of a 6th for Teddy in next years draft?

16. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

So Foles is down. If he’s down for any significant time and Wentz isn’t ready, the Eagles will panic as they want to keep their SuperBowl defense hopes alive. Perfect trade partner for the Jets, out of the conference too.

We also play them game 4 of the preseason so they’ll see him firsthand for an audition. Maybe they part ways for a 1st as it’ll likely be a late rounder anyways. Use that 1st and maybe our 1st or 3rd for Mack. Then the Pats only gave themselves to blame for solidifying our defense.

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't Know if the Eagles will come calling but Foles is the biggest competition for Teddy in the trade market. One less option makes Teddy more attractive

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Eagles are good at QB. They just signed some dude named Hackenberg.

themorey, JETS1116, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've been big on trading Teddy especially if it's for a 2nd but I'm not against many of you who feel like keeping him for 2018. We'd lose him for nothing as a FA but Bridgewater has absolutely looked outstanding throughout his 1st two games.

I'd love for Darnold to take the league by storm from day one, but if not, I can 100% enjoy this 2018 team with Bridgewater under Center.

Trade him. Keep him. I'll support any decision because I do like Teddy a lot.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And Nick Foles got hurt tonight. No on knows how serious the injury is yet. Could Philly possibly be a trade partner with the Jets? If Foles is seriously injured, with Wentz still out, Philly might be ready to make a move. There other options would be Sudfeld or Hack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.