Five Predictions for Tommorow’s Matchup

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrisJetLife, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ChrisJetLife

ChrisJetLife Member

1. Sam Darnold will be the starter

After what has looked like a solid training camp for Darnold, I expect him to be taking 1st team snaps tomorrow. The kid has shown his ability to make all the throws necessary to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. His ability to move around the pocket and keep his eyes downfield has always been a strength. A flaw of his, noted in his college statistics, is his turnovers. So far so good but the season is young. Look for him to continue making strides to become the Week 1 starter.

2. Trent Cannon gets the nod

The Jets are in love with this young running back out of Virginia State. He will be given every opportunity there is to win that 3rd back role. His speed and his ability to find the holes has impressed many at camp. After a fumble last week, look for him to improve his skills as a Punt Returner. With his skill set, there’s no doubt that he can easily be one of the 53 men on the roster come September.

3. Offensive Line Troubles

Today the Jets lost a very versatile Ben Ijalana and placed him on IR. In a corresponding move, we have signed former Panthers Gino Gradkowski. A group that hasn’t seen much improvement in the regime of Mike Maccagnan could be the deciding factor for the 2018 Jets. Without a stead offensive line, the ability to have a running game will hinder the performance of any Quarterback that is under center. Keeping them upright and establishing a run game will be key in Bate’s system. I’m looking to see how well they perform, especially against a team that is not known for their dominant pass rush.

4. Defense dominates once again

After an impressive shut out win last week against the Falcons, I expect this defense to do much of the same. The starters will be given about 3 to 5 defensive series to really show exactly how good this defense can be as a unit. The word unit is important in this. A clear weakness of this team could be a pass-rush but, with an improved secondary, it could definitely null in void this issue. Looking really to see if New Jack City can come out and create a turnover, an issue for Jets defenses over the last few years. My player to watch? Nathan Shepherd. He could fit nicely with Williams and Co.

5. Penalties

The Jets have had their share of penalty push ups at Training Camp this year. After having 8 penalties last week against Atlanta, I’m hoping to see a discipline team that will play hard, fast and most importantly, smart. Nothing worse for a Rookie Quarterback to have a drive stalled by penalties. If the Jets can avoid this, I do think the conversation on Friday will be “Why hasn’t Darnold already been named the starter for Week 1?”

Something to keep an eye out for:

Over the next few weeks, I expect the Jets to really be evaluating what is the right move going forward with Teddy Bridgewater. A fan favorite as well as just an overall good teammate, it just doesn’t make sense for him to be on the team going into week 1. There should be an opportunity to trade him and I think if the return is anything close to a 2nd Round pick or 3rd rounder, the Jets would be dumb to not even consider it. Maybe Dante Fowler Jr. from Jacksonville? Just a thought...

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Great work.

I’m thinking the Jets gave Darnold the work this week to showcase Teddy tomorrow. I know that sounds counterintuitive but teams consider these “controlled” practice environments game situations because the players give extra effort.

With the OL injured right now, are they really putting Sam in harm’s way?

LAJet likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nice post. I'm really getting worked up this season.

I predicted we'd make the playoffs...and that was when I thought Bridgewater would start over McGown.

I'll stick to that prediction.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree pretty much with everything except I think the defense might have a tough time containing the Redskins passing attack. I read that during the practices Smith was carving up our defence. I hope they come up big like Atlanta game. Atlanta really didn't play their starting offence against us, but our second stringers sure handled Falcons second string offense. Can't wait till tomorrow...GO JETS!:D

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

My prediction?

Pain.

themorey and FJF like this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Other than Darnold continuing to excel, I’m hoping Leggett, Stewart and Hansen step up.

It’s really the O I’m hoping is the story. I think the D will be routinely stout.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I predict massive over reactions.

Sam Hammer, stinkyB and ConcordeChops like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I just read that Enunwa isn't playing. As long as he's ready week 1...

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'd love for Darnold to impress once again, but at the end of the day I just hope to see him remain healthy and escape Washington with experience and a better feel for the speed of the game.

Now Teddy Bridgewater is a completely different story. I want him to light it up with QB Ratings over 120+. Improve his trade value. I want him to perform so great to the point where his buzz around the league reaches an All-Time high. Heck, you just never know a QB like Sam Bradford just went for a 1st + a 4th even after suffering not one but two season ending ACL injuries.

People are overlooking Teddy's potential trade value. If he lights it up against both WAS & NYG his trade value is going to go through the roof.

I wanna see Jordan Leggett breakout and emerge too.

Would be epic to see Terrell Pryor embarrassing his ex Redskin teammates.

FlaJet and Freddy Mondo like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Works better when you post the bideo

11. Rollo Tomassi

Haven’t figure that out yet. And my Mohawk is kind of droopy.

12. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

The Irony that people want Bridgewater to light it up so we can improve his trade value is interesting. For a long time we have not had a Star QB. Yes Darnold could be that man! but you never know, it could just be Bridgewater. So we are saying if he has amazing games we will just happily send him off? its a weird scenario.

Shame Enunwa is not playing. We need more out of WR Corps.

I think I would like to see Darnold stay at no.3 on the game day Roster. It was nice to see him get a lot of playing time in the first game. Not just one drive, or one quarter. But I would not play him for three quarters like we did last week. Maybe bring Teddy back in for the 4th?

Looking forward to seeing more of cannon as well. I liked his speed and in built ability to dodge people.

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I predict their plan is

Start Darnold week 2
    Start Teddy week 3

Then evaluate

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I may sing a different tune. You never know. What if Teddy looks amazing and Sam looks like Ryan Leaf during our next two or three preseason games. I may start having to ask questions like, can we franchise tag Teddy 2 years in a row while our CS develops Sam etc etc

But as of right now throughout OTA's, Training Camp and after ATL into the preseason and after the high praise from Jet teammates and even the likes of Josh Norman etc etc I honestly feel that Sam Darnold as our #3 overall draft pick, and after trading up from 6th to 3rd is our future, not Teddy who's on a 1 year deal.

Yes. We all want a Franchise caliber signal caller.

I just happen to feel that it's Darnold. And rather unload Teddy while his QB & NFL value reaches an All-Time high out of fear of losing Teddy for absolutely nothing come free agency. And by unloading Teddy we could potentially replace and turn his assets into an O-Lineman or God have mercy an edge/outside pass rusher or who knows the next Le'Veon Bell 2nd round explosive RB.

I'm anxious to see more of Cannon as well. Looked decent as an HB on offense you can see his speed waiting to happen and every rookie deserves a 2nd chance to redeem himself after muffed punts from a week ago.

If you were to ask every GM if they'd rather take Sam for free. Or Bridgewater for free. Who would they take? Because that's who I think Maccagnan would take as well.

And if teams come calling and knocking down our doors for a QB to trade for, I highly doubt it's for Darnold's services. That kid is currently untouchable. It won't be for McCown's neither.

#13 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

These scenarios with Teddy lighting it up over preseason(and possibly into the first few weeks of regular season) conjures up thoughts of Brees and Rivers in San Diego.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Is it out of the question to think that, if Teddy is the better choice for this year to keep him, extend his contract, move McCown to QC after one of the players comes back from suspension or injury reserve? Am I crazy? . Then if when we trade Teddy is on our terms, while under contract, and get a first or worst case a second for him.
    Probably doesn't make sense I suppose.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If Teddy’s playing well he may not want to sign an extension.

LAJet likes this.
  18. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I predict joy and pain, with sunshine and rain.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

If he’s the starter playing well he’s not going to accept anything less than big time starter money.

He’s not accepting a back up contract or a wishy-washy starter contract with a whole bunch of outs.

He’s going to want the base and guarantees deserving of a FA franchise QB.

And with Darnold in the fold, we’re just not going to do that.

Only way would be to franchise him and then try to work a trade but my recollection of the ins and outs of that are a bit foggy.

LAJet likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

I would have thought this post would have garnered more likes.

21. Rollo Tomassi

Luvu and Donahue each get sacks and either Clark or Jones get a pick.