ESPN: Jets' Sam Darnold wins over Josh Norman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Sam is going to face a pass rush when he starts regular season so why not give him a taste of it in preseason so he won't be shell shocked on day one. I hear the people that say protect him, but I think giving him experience outweigh the fear of injury.

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Best thing for Sam is to get experience playing with the starters if we want him to start day one:D
    I have to admit I was one of the ones that said hold Sam back a few games and let him learn on the bench, but much to my surprise Sam is way ahead of where I thought he would be mentally. He seems to be grasping everything with flying colors. My thoughts now....play Sam day one, even though it is 2 prime time road games & 1 home game in 10 days.

#22 BudJet, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Josh Norman: Darnold is better than Hackenberg!

joe likes this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's tempting, but I think the Jets want to give Teddy B. a chance for a few games so they can trade him for some value.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

and what if Bridgewater leads the team to wins in those games? It doesn't make sense to dump him when he and the team are playing well.

NY Jets68 and FJF like this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't make these decisions, but consider that in that scenario, the Jets may still see Darnold as the their franchise QB. They wouldn't need Bridgewater and could possibly trade him for a 2nd round pick. Then they could use that pick to fill other holes, such as offensive line. If McCown retires, it would not be difficult to pick up a competent backup.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^^^ . I counted TWENTY FOUR NFL player's names in this post. . 24.

on-topic: Josh Norman's playing possum and baiting Sam by blowing flattering smoke up Sammy's ass in advance of Thursday night when they're on coast-to-coast TV.

p.s. the jets do not have FOUR 1,000 yd. receiving threats on their roster...

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I hardly think Sam's game will be effected by Norman's flattery. Sam is too smart for that.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup. And 11 (almost half) of those player names mentioned above were drafted on defense during the 1st round dating back to Darrelle Revis. Which is why I emphasized them when speaking Sam Darnold.

Um. Yes, they do.

If you don't feel that the Jets have not one, not two, not three but four separate individual receivers with 1,000 yard like capabilities, well then you've either been asleep, haven't paid close enough attention or simply not aware of current reality (so below I'll leave a history lesson).

Robby Anderson put up 941 receiving yards as only a 2nd year WR last season (with Josh McCown as his QB).

Without question a 1,000 yard type of NFL receiving threat).

Jermaine Kearse put up 810 receiving yards during 14 starts as a 1st year Jet last season (with Josh McCown as his QB).

No doubt he's a 1,000 yard type of NFL receiving threat.

Quincy Enunwa is still only 26 years of age and put up 857 receiving yards back in only 2016 (with Ryan Shitzpatrick as his QB).

No question about it he's a 1,000 yard type of NFL receiving threat.

Terrell Pryor has already posted a 1K+ season with 1,007 receiving yards back in only 2016 as a 1st year WR (with Josh McCown as his QB).

Yet again, another 1,000 yard type of NFL receiving threat.

And Jesus Christ we're not even talking Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Joe Montana or even Andrew Luck types of QB's here, we're talking about the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick (Quincy Enunwa) and Josh McCown (Robby Anderson, Jernaine Kearse & Terrell Pryor).

Heaven forbid Sam Darnold is the real deal. Good Lord would Robby Anderson, Terrell Pryor, Jermaine Kearse & Quincy Enunwa all become down right impossible to contain let alone stop.

NY Jets68, Brook! and GQMartin like this.
  10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Disagree. He knows what it feels like to get hit. He played for a major college program. He's not the shellshocked type. I just don't want him to be getting hit when it doesn't matter.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

No one is gameplanning now.

Still it's promising to hear/see this kinda stuff about him.

It sure beats the alternative.:)

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Back to the topic at hand I find it intriguing how the likes of our coaching staff, Jet teammates, media pundit hacks such as Manish Mehta and now a Pro Bowl/All-Pro Defensive Back (CB) have all either given high praise of Sam Darnold or outright currently gushing over him. It's been awesome to say the least.

NY Jets68 and legler82 like this.
  13. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Im wondering how much of his statements are a set up, giving Sam a false sense of confidence and causing him to look awful tonight.

14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I was thinking this too, and then I was talking to my friend who is a big Giants fan and he reminded me that when they put Eli in the Giants were 4-2. Warner's passer rating was around 86 at that point too, so definitely a similar situation outside of Teddy being a lot younger and coming off of two years off due to injury. I don't know, it would be a difficult situation but the team KNOWS that Darnold is the future. And so does Teddy.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I forgot about that. Great point.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

There’s no denying that Darnold has the football IQ to be a QB... that was the biggest knock on Geno... he had all the skill but not the head .
    I realize D- coordinators don’t game plan in the pre-season and pretty much everything is basic , but you can see him making his reads and finding the open guys ... most of these guys lock in on their targets and get burned for it .
    I’m no scout/coach but I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen so far ... I think the guy is going to be a great pro .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and BudJet like this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'll play along.
    Mayfield with Landry, Gordon and coleman plus. And a much better O line.
    Rosen with Fitz, the rookie Kirk, who despite playing 13 fewer games ,fell just 29 receptions shy of breaking the SEC all-time receptions record. ( Your beloved Confrence)and since you did throw Powell into the mix a couple of times, David Johnson.
    So tell me, which Jets Reciever are going to have 1000 yards Recieving this season? Enunwa, coming off the neck surgery and injured during camp?
    Pryor coming of the foot injury, currently recovering from surgery last week? Robby (still waiting to see how many games he will be suspended) Anderson? The future looks bright, but there is still alot of work to be done on the roster.
    There is a reason the teams who drafted a rookie QB, drafted a rookie QB...... They suck.
    Name the last rookie QB to win a Super Bowl. Or easier , the last rookie QB to start a Super Bowl?
    I'll save you the trouble of googling it. No rookie QB has Won or Started a Super Bowl.....
    But you did pick the right flavor of Kool aid. Red!
    Love the optimism , but personally would temper the expectations .

Acad23, NCJetsfan, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

NOt to nitpick, but Coleman is a Bill now and Gordon may or may not be with the team this year and last I read was currently not in camp while fighting a child support battle. .

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Gordon is expected to report next week and has been working on his mental health, anxiety issues which led to his drug issues. Your right about Coleman, I forgot they traded him but DFW Should be excited by Callaway. Miami kid , played for the Gators in the SEC. As he would say.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner