It Finally Feels Like We're Getting it Right

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 15, 2018.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Of all the years of watching the Jets organization, it finally feels like we're getting it right. I can't remember the last time we blew it up and committed to a rebuild without manically changing direction and firing a coach for the polar opposite personality, or going on an inexplicable spending spree in free agency.

It really feels like we're FINALLY doing this the right way. We have consistency year over year in our coach, through some tough times, blew it up, stuck to it, didn't overspend and are set up to have a monster free agency period next offseason. All while drafting our potential franchise QB and developing the young guys on our roster.

I am really excited for the direction of this team in a way that I haven't been before. We are going for, and moving toward sustained success. And we're doing the damn thing the right way.

That's all I got. I just felt the need to highlight how this organizational change (which started when Woody went to England), is noticeable from the top down.

2. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Bottom line: We need Sam to be good, and the strategy will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Now that it is spring in Jet land, I expect a great poster like you to post more. Or else I will curse at you in Turkish. Lol.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yarrak kafa, ananı sikiyim! Let's get this party started.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  5. TurkJetFan

Yes. But the bottom line is we have every reason to be optimistic. Even the simple fact that we are committing to doing it correctly is a HUGE step in the right direction.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Except Mac forgot about the offensive line which is going to be the 2018 downfall. Other than that I agree 100%. Next year we make our run

7. TurkJetFan

I think next year ways always our design to make the run. We will shore up the line and get a couple of blue chip FAs in the process.

sec314 likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Haha. You are one strange cat jeto. If we could replace you with @TurkJetFan it would be dandy!

TurkJetFan likes this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Honestly, have to give a lot of credit to Mac.

Other than reaching for the golden ring/trying to catch lightening in a bottle with Fitz year 2, and a couple of flubs like Hack, he's done an admirable job building a roster that looks like its ready to compete for the foreseeable future.

I get some folks hate him, but if Sam does what we all hope this year and we compete into December--he could win GM of the Year again.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It looks like the chips are starting to fall in the rite places. Every team needs a little luck, which is something that the Jets have not had since I can remember, a good move to move up in the draft...followed by a little luck & and we end up with the best QB in the draft. We actually have drafted arguably the best players in the Draft 3 of the last 4 years. All of a sudden things will click....probably next year with a 1st round pass rusher and a few free agents, especially on the OL. Just like Jacksonville & Rams progressed from year '16 to '17 is what I am hoping to see from Jets in years '18 to '19. Like you said it seems like we're doing it the rite way. The next LUCK, or good move from Mac would be to get a good Draft pick or player for Teddy. That would definitely help the process. I think Mac & Bowles deserve some credit for changing the culture of the team & going from an old under preforming team with no cap space to a young over achieving team with tons of cap space in one year! We're doing what took Jaguars, Rams, & Browns 6-7 years to do in just 2 season '17 & '18.. It was a rebuild...but a fast rebuild. Yes we still have a ways to go but I am extremely optimistic about this team.

#10 BudJet, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily think we were doing it "wrong" in the past. I think we had a bad sense of talent for a QB in all the previous drafts. Rebuilding is easy when you draft a franchise QB. Mac swung and missed on a few prospects but he seems to have hit a home run on this one. If Darnold pans out like many here think he will, everything starts falling into place. Receivers look better, the running game opens up, defense performs at a higher level and the overall attitude in the building improves dramatically.

I credit Mac for everything that has been done but if Darnold doesn't pan out, it was just another failed attempt at a rebuild. A rebuild starts and ends with the QB.

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Even if Sam for some crazy reason, as Ray Lucas says POOPS IN THE BED, Mac still did it the rite way and drafted the best QB in the draft. Can't ask for more than that. Drafting players is a cap shoot & sometimes it works & sometimes doesn't.

Noam likes this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree 100% but that always falls back on the man who drafted him. But like I said, it would be just another failed rebuild.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

• A young team.

• A potential Franchise QB.

• The most available cap space of any NFL Franchise come next offseason.

This just feels different heading into 2018.

Easier said than done but I believe we're literally a Franchise LT and an edge/outside pass rusher away from becoming a legit title contender (only if Sam is the real deal).

After LT/OLB...

I feel as if an All-Purpose RB and a true physical #1 WR on the outside would simply be icing on the cake.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

gotta love the optimism around here, should change in about 2 days should the team struggle

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Still need to upgrade the OL and pass rush, but it does look like Macc's been improving as a GM since he arrived here in 2015. I had doubts after the Hack second round selection and the back to back safeties last year, but if Darnold's the real deal, all will be forgiven.

17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

He had to take Adams at 6, he was the overwhelming choice there.

And you can hate on back-to-back safeties but not the player- Maye is an incredible talent and the safety position, barring injury, is set for a decade where we never have to think about it again.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I felt that Mahomes should've been the pick given that we had no FQB. But yeah, I don't hate the players. As I said, Darnold becoming that FQB will make me forget about the past.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bobby Darin says:

Now on a sidewalk huh huh whoo
    Sunny morning,un huh
    Lies a body just oozin life, eek
    And someone's sneakin round the corner
    Could that someone be Mack the Knife?

Now that Macky's back in town ...do we get 6 wins?

If we do..Look out, old Macky's back

Mack the Knife lyrics : Weill, Brecht, Blitzstein

boozer32 likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Mahomes (QB or not) was no where near the level of prospect as that of a Jamal Adams and the entire world knew the types of 2018 QB prospects that would enter the draft the following year. Jamal was a no brainier.

No GM is perfect and none have ever batted 100% but the one thing I do absolutely love about Maccagnan, is how other GM's all passed on Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold. But not Maccagnan. They fell right to us and he knew enough to not pass on them (as previous GM's did). That alone is an awesome characteristic to have; the ability to know who (not) to pass up on can not be overlooked.