Break the training camp boredom!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

A trip down memory lane.

1998 @ Denver still bothers me to this day but that 98' Jets team is my All-Time favorite Jets team. Ever.

And only a Jets SB winning team can capture my heart as that 1998 team did.

2009 felt magical and 2010 was an amazing run eliminating the likes of Manning & Brady both on the road but that 1998 Jets team. I was 13 at the time. And there was just something special about them to me.

So many household names.

• Bill Parcells (Big Tuna).
    • Broadway Vinny.
    • Curtis My Favorite Martin.
    • Keyshawn throw me the damn ball Johnson.
    • Wayne Mr. 3rd Down Chrebet.

That offensive attack was so much fun to watch and when in sync was a well oiled machine behind a Kevin Mawae led O-Line.

Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Bryan Cox, Victor Green, Otis Smith, Jason Ferguson, Anthony Pleasant, Rick Lyle, Pepper Johnson etc that defense was forreal under Bill Belichick as DC.

boozer32 and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

When Namath scores on the bootleg you can see a beer bottle thrown into the end zone lol. I saw one of these Yale Bowl preseason games. The one when John Riggins was just drafted by the Jets.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Keith Byars was the GOAT of that game. Fumbling the ball. The Jets were playing as well as I've ever seen them that year.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was on the sidelines not too far from that when it happened - the hit by steroid-freak Romanowski was brutal. I can almost forgive Byars for it. If I remember correctly, we caught a bad break on the bounce of the ball, since it could have easily went out of bounds.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Gang Green snapped and ended a 5 game drought (1996-2011) against Big Blue on this day.

Hard to believe that we've only played the Giants 13 times (5-8).

2015. Crazy game. Overtime victory. Me and my older brother went absolutely ape shit throughout that 4th Quarter comeback.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

Question: Where the Jets playing preseason games at the Yale Bowl then, or was it only the Giants? Fans of today forget, they used to play SIX preseason games, and played them as if they counted. (Most of the time). It seems so foolish now, but it's what they did. I attended a 1976 preseason Jets Raiders game in "New" Yankee Stadium. Rookie Richard Todd had a six yard punt.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry to correct U but that was the 1st game ever played between us & the Giants. I was there live & in person & after SB3 & the PO Game vs Oak in 68 iit was the 3rd best game I ever saw as a STH 1st even though I was not there in person was SB3 2nd was the PO game vs Oak in Dec68 & lastly this game in Aug 69 which was in New Haven CT :)

9. championjets69

Only the NYGs played at the Yale Bowl those days Shea was home base for us :)

\

10. championjets69

That's all the team has given us since 01/12/69 is memories :mad:

11. LogeSection2RowJ

I didn't need correcting. I started this thread with the first ever regular season game against the Giants ('74) but later commented that the '74 game was the second meeting - the first being the '69 exhibition game of which I posted that newspaper image. Semantics.

Where I might need correcting - or better put, additional information from you is, whether or not the Jets played the Giants in exhibition games between '69 and '74. This I could use some help with.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

get off the cross already.....

[​IMG]

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Two thing that saddens me about that 1998 team (such a special team) are..

A.) Marvin Jones missed the entire season (so sad what could've been).

and

B.) The refusal from both Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick to unleash a young (then a 2nd year player) James Farrior. He had a strong rookie year in 97' with over 70 tackles but yet the coaching staff completely stopped playing him in 98 outside of a couple plays per game, if that. And used him as only a reserve LB. Big, big mistake.

To make it worse he finally has a break out season 2001 with 142 tackles (100+ were solo tackles). Only for us to allow him to walk the following offseason as a FA; only to become an NFL Household name and blew up in Pittsburgh.

James Farrior should have been a Jet during those Pennington & Martin days. He was still exploding in 2009 & 2010 for Pittsburgh too. Hah!! What should've been...