Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Signing Bell to a large contract would overtake Neil O'Donnell as the worst free agent signing of a former Steeler in the history of the Jets. I doubt Macc wants that stank on his watch.

2. Im ok w waiting till next offseason to get the pass rusher..we just better not be having this same convo on 8/15/19.Pass rushers are hard to come by & itd be disasterous to pass on Mack & somehow miss out next offseason as well.

I think Mac will make a move though.The regime has more to lose on defense this year than on offense which is accepted as being under construction to suit Darnold. Alot of resources on D for a defensive HC.If they get the same pass rush of the last several years & the overall D suffers greatly as a result(very possible) that could affect their job security.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly agree more. I think the guys who want the Jets to sign Bell are nuts. He wants too much money, is too greedy, and he is a loudmouth punk. He's had a lot of carries and pounding. No way he's worth what he's asking.

BudJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Spending big FA $$ on RBs--even great ones--is a huge mistake.

Would rather spend the $$ on OLine or OLB/pass rusher.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Good OLs can open holes AND protect the QB.

Good RBs - NAH.

I wouldn't throw away half the money to Le'Veon Bell even if he is the second incarnation of Barry fucking Sanders.

6. NCJetsfan

Disastrous? A bit of hyperbole, n'est ce pas? We don't often disagree, but we do here.

Disappointing? Yes, Disastrous? No. No one wants a stud pass rusher more than I. At this juncture, it has to take a back seat to protecting Darnold. What would be disastrous is either trading our #1 for Mack and then not being able to get a quality LT prospect in the draft, and then Beachum's play falls off a cliff or he gets re-injured or retires, and Darnold winds up suffering a major injury.

I disagree with your second paragraph as well. While they may have a shot to make the playoffs this year, the team is really a year or two away from being ready to be a serious contender. Mac would have to be nuts to trade his #1 pick in next year's draft for a 27 year-old player, even as great as he is, especially when one considers that we don't have a 2nd round pick in next year's draft. Even if we did, great LT prospects usually don't fall into the 2nd round, much less middle or lower part of the 2nd round which is where we could be drafting if he were to swing a trade for Mack. Could Mack really elevate the play of our D? Of course he could, but I don't think our D would "suffer greatly" without him. Between Shepherd, Williams, Luvu, Copeland or Donahue, we could have a better pass rush this year than in year's past.

In addition, there could be 3-4 topflight pass rushers available in FA next season and there will be several good edge rushing prospects in the draft. IMO it would not be wise to miss the chance to get our future LT to protect Darnold's blind side due to being impatient and trying to force the rebuild ahead of schedule by trading for Mack. With some patience, Mack could get both our future LT AND an excellent edge rusher next offseason. With both, plus an upgrade at other OL positions, the Jets could be serious contenders next season. Conversely, with Mack and an injured Darnold, the Jets will be going nowhere. Even if the Jets were to totally miss out on getting an elite edge rusher next offseason, it wouldn't be disastrous. Some of the young guys could develop further and improve the pass rush. Even if not, if they fixed the OL next offseason and maybe added a good RB prospect or FA (not named Bell), then they'd be heading into 2020 with edge rusher and #1 WR as their only real needs.

It will probably be 2020 before the Jets will be ready to be serious contenders. By that time, Mack will be 29-30. That's not what you want. You want a young edge rusher poised to enter his prime, or entering his prime, not leaving his prime years behind.

#226 NCJetsfan, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  7. For a supposed defensive team that deploys a 3-4 to go this long w.o anything close to a legit edge rusher along w the assets the team has between now & next offseason combined w all the edge rushers thatll supposively be available between now & then i think it would disastrous.Esp considering that as the rest of this team continues to improe the lack of rush will stick out like a sore thumb.

As for left tackle/OL..well if they somehow miss out on that next offseson thatll be a disaster just as well. Psss rush & Ol are the priorities..not one over the other.And if theres time A #1 skill & a nose tackle.

However..i take issue w this idea that quality OL can only be found in round 1.I strongly disagree w that.It just comes down to good scouting

Jason Spriggs (2nd Round)
    Cam Robinson
    Jake Fischer
    Cordy Glenn
    Roger saffold
    Kelechi osemele
    Phil Loadholdt
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Michael Roos
    Andrew whitworth
    Marcus mcneil
    Khalif Barnes
    Matt light
    Langston Walker
    Chad Clifton
    Jon janson
    Flozell adams

Terron Armstead(3rd round)
    Ryan Harris
    Charles spencer
    Eric Winston
    Kareem mckenzie
    Travelle wharton
    Earl dotson
    Kevin Donnely

Bobby massie(4th round)
    Doug free
    Jahri evans
    Todd herremans
    Stacy andrews
    Brett williams
    Ryan diem
    Jason fabini
    Jon Runyan

Brandon shell(5th round)
    Ricky wagner
    Marcus cannon
    Breno giacomini
    Carl nicks
    Tony pashos
    Fred miller

These are just OTs & the same holds true w the other OL positions. Conversely edge players beyond round 1 has not wirked fir the jets..and need to target an elite edge presence that can only come via round 1

themorey likes this.
  8. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed. Would be one, if not THE dumbest move ever made by the organization. Probably the easiest skill position to fill in later rounds of a draft.

themorey likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think Macc gives up his 1st - let alone other assets - when he doesn't have a 2nd at this point. Maybe if he can trade Teddy for a 2nd, then he might consider giving up the 1st, but even then, I don't think so. I think he's committed to getting his blue chip pieces via the draft, not FA, especially when it's a virtual given that you overpay for FAs. There are exceptions, like if he felt they were one major piece away and a young stud were available, then I think he's open the wallet.

Both DWC and Browning Nagle mentioned Clowney and because of his under performance so far, maybe Macc could get him for the right price, and that would make sense. But I don't think he's going to deviate from his plan, especially after seeing what spending on all those vets his 2nd year produced.

10. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree regarding whether it would be "disastrous" or not.

I never said that good OL can only be found in the first round. In fact, I have consistently said the opposite. The only OL that pretty much needs to be taken in the 1st round is the LT. Yes, some can be found in lower rounds than the 1st and even in UDFA, but those are the exception rather than the rule, and even then often need a year or two to develop. We won't have that luxury. We need someone who can come in and start day one. Also, some of those guys you named suck and defeat the purpose of your listing them.

11. Everyone of the names was at starting level..whether they “sucked” within that portion is up to subjectivity.There were other names i didnt include that were starters as well.Figure 3-4 per round sven more within 2nd round.

My point was that w only 1 first round pick & OT/Edge as our 2 needs i would firmly lean towards OLB based on the team’s recent history & overall draft history.

I trust the jets to find a 2/3rd round sleeper at OT more than i do an edge.The team refuses to sacrifice edge setting/Run defense ability for the sake of finding a pass rusher.See:Jordan Jenkins. The only way to find true 2 way OLB w upside & no projection is in round 1.

12. kleckotheman

kleckotheman Member

While I would love Mack (who wouldn't) I believe someone like Dante Fowler is more realistic.
    Jax did not offer him a contract for next year so he is an UFA after this year.
    Jax is loaded with pass-rushers at both LB and DL.
    Fowler has already been suspended for a week for fighting in practice.
    Fowler garnered 8 sacks last year in part-time duty. He is a perfect fit for our scheme.

Could Bridgewater for Fowler happen?
    Really good QB insurance for Bortles on a team only thinking Super Bowl.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I wouldn't wish for a player to get injured, but in the unfortunate even that Derek Carr got injured in the preseason we may be able to move Bridgewater and 4th or something.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yea but bro it's great to build through the draft and all, but when you have 100M+ in available cap space? As a GM and as an owner? You must land this team, this Franchise and our starved fan base a true game changing Franchise player through either the draft or Free Agency. We deserve it.

Look. Our (imo) best overall Footballl player was not even drafted by us. Curtis Martin. He was I believe 25 years old at the time and signed on the first day of Free Agency.

If Khalil Mack can be had, you trade for him. He instantly transforms this current defense into a title contender.

If Le'Veon can be had, you give him the money at 27 years of age. He's not only the best 3 down back in the game today but he's also one of the top 5 offensive skilled position weapons within the entire league ala 160 pass receptions over the past two years. He's more than "just a RB" as some like to claim; Le'Veon Bell is a down right NFL Offensive nightmare for opposing defenses. Instantly transforms your offense into a dynamic one. He'd be great for Darnold to utilize over the next 3-5 years.

If either of Khalil Mack or Le'Veon Bell can be had, even at the prime age(s) of 27; you pull the trigger.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is a crash in performance waiting to happen, the Wilkerson of the RB class.

No thanks

16. K'OB

The problem with you spending all our cap space on Mack and Bell is...

It leaves the well dry for the future good of the team, I can agree on Mack as we desperately need a sack monster and with the added benefit of probably freeing up Williams and we get a 2 for 1 deal :)

Bell could and probably would be good but he has a larger risk factor to throw in and do we want to risk all that hard saved cash on a guy who could last just two seasons after being rode into the ground by the Steelers, nearly 600 rushing attempts in the last two seasons, his tanks might just throw up the empty signal at any moment and knowing our luck it will the week after we sign him to a multi-million dollar deal baby.

Too much risk for me.

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It just hit me while reading the which team will Bridgewater get traded to thread.

Can you imagine if the Rams lose Goff to a serious injury or Carr gets injured or just isn't a fit for Gruden's system, I've read that there are concerns about how that relationship will work, if the Jets can package Teddy Bridgewater with some other compensation to get Donald or Mack?

Whoo boy!!!

That kinda stuff doesn't happen to the Jets.

Normally I like my DTs HUUUUUUUUGE not smallish like Donald but man from what I've seen of Donald that guy looks like Warren Sapp reborn. I don't know what the Rams are doing a slong as he still hasn't received a long term deal I'll dream.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

I understand you may not be a fan of giving a FA RB a large contract but let's not use "Neil O'Donnell" as an example to a Le'Veon Bell.

Neil O'Donnell was A.) Never considered as being the NFL's best overall & #1 rated QB (as is Bell @ RB) and B.) Neil O'Donnell only had 1 pro bowl season in comparison to Bell who's (already) a 1x Second-team All-Pro, a 2x First-team All-Pro and a 3x Pro Bowler. And still not yet finished.

Also Neil O'Donnell was 30 years old by the time he came to NYJ compared to Le'Veon Bell who's currently still only 26 years of age (PS: Curtis Martin was 25 once arrived in NYJ as a FA).

In closing LaDainian Tomlinson was already 31 by the time he arrived a Jet. STILL put up over 1,000 yards from scrimmage during 2010.

And yes. Bell @ 26/27 is way more explosive than L.T was at 31 (2010).

Give us 3-4 years of Le'Veon Bell and watch our offense contend while Darnold develops.

But comparing Neil O'Donnell to Le'Veon Bell is just wrong, and inaccurate in so many ways.

19. Outside of Trumaine Johnson we pretty much have no massive contracts on the books. Additionally we’ve had oodles of cap space heading into the offseason for what seems like years..sooner or later that $ can & should be spent.

Im not all in on Mack or Bell by any means..there are pro & cons to both.That said some playmakers would be nice & at 27 years old,the arrow pointed up & all the ammunition we at least have to consider these type of names

The idea that we’re gonna sit on our hands for 2-3 more years as we fill every remaining key need w blue chip 1st rounders sounds good in theory but likely isnt sustainable.Somwhere down the line we have to use FA.We could do a whole lot worse than 27 y.o Khalil mack & Bell.

20. K'OB

Indeed but we could maybe fill three positions of need in place of Bell, Mack is a harder player to find, good QB botherers are harder to find than good RB's, there are plenty of good ones and granted Bell is way above good but look at Murray and all those runs for Dallas and then the tank emptied fairly rapidly, the RB position does seem to be the one that is risky in this regard, yes you get the odd one like Gore who keeps trundling on but he is just trundling nowadays, but fair play to him at 35yo.

Very soon we are going to need some very good OL and we will have the cap space to provide the talent, hopefully, we will have the future QB that they will all want to defend on the way to multiple rings, sounds so easy when put like that eh lol