IF Healthy....Better Secondary than '09 &'10

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

For the past like 12 years, basically since having John Abraham, have we failed to bring in a legit edge pass rusher. We never had one since we’ve gone to a 3-4. Seems like a broken record in the offseason when we all discuss the need for the position.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

09-11 had better talent, and the coaching on defense was hands down better than Bowles and Rodgers.
    09 team easily had the best defense in the NFL that year....

18 team has a lot to prove yet.

4. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Good post, but Revis makes all the numbers and arguments sorta pointless IMHO. He was such a gamechanger himself that it was other -worldly good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

...and Vince Young was on the Dream Team.
    You compared and contrasted players...how about coaching. A player may have better measureables...doesnt mean he will be the better player.
    Coaching and system plays a significant role in how well a player performs. We see allot of evidence of that.

#25 fansince90, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Early Rex Era:
    Strengths: Dline, Corner
    Weaknesses: FS, OLB

Late Bowles Era:
    Strengths: Safety, Corner
    Weaknesses: OLB, Dline

Revis's presence enabled Rex to throw all kinds of exotic blitzes out there to gain pressure or throw an extra guy in the box to stop the run. I think he made Rex better than he was. I don't think the current Jets have anybody comparable to that. Trumaine is good, but he's not THAT good where he will shut down top 10 WRs consistently without safety help. I don't think this current team is as good as 09/10, but if they can even come somewhat close, I'll be happy. Also if the offense is even above average the Jets won't need them to be 09/10 level good.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think the Revis group is better. This group maybe better overall in a depth from safety to corner but we will see.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

All that 2009 & 2010 defense needed was a monster pass rushing OLB and that secondary being led by an All-Time great coverage corner in #24 Darrelle Revis would have went down in history.

But the past is the past I'm now focused on 2018 and beyond.

I like our depth with players like Middleton & Brooks as backup Safety's along with Buster Skrine who still has value at Nickel etc.

But it's all about Trumaine Johnson, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye and Morris Claiborne for me. I hope they all stay healthy because it's an extremely promising unit.

You give that secondary a Khalil Mack type of dominant pass rusher alongside of Leonard Williams and forget about it. That Secondary then becomes an NFL household name and a QB' worst living nightmare.

I love having two #1 types of coverage CB's on the outside in Trumaine Johnson and Morris Claiborne along with two former SEC beast Safety's out of LSU & Florida in Jamal Adams and Marcus Mayday; it's just disheartening to know that we (still) don't have that dominant edge/outside pass rushing phenom.

Disheartening isn't the word, it's ashame.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Not a chance.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'd consider calling up Derrick Strait just to get rid of Skrine. Hell, call Donald Strickland while you're at it.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

I called him Bucky Lowery after that play for a week.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I don't see a huge difference between Skrine and Lowery, I think Buster is better in run support for sure. 70 million is crazy money, but you have to look at contracts compared to the new salary cap as well. The contract for Revis was crazier at that time than the one for Trumaine currently.

I don't think Tru is a shutdown corner, if anyone is expecting him to be you will be disappointed. He is a very solid and durable player that is going to play the position the right way in the scheme we play. That type of player is at a premium and you will pay a premium price. Same reason why some Olineman are getting paid like stars....

13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I agree with you-- if I was a betting man, I would go out on a limb and say that when our secondary does get victimized on certain plays this year, it will be more on having no rush than having corners/safeties that can't cover. Give any QB enough time and they will find open targets.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think the o line was a bigger strength than the dline.

Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody, that running game was strong.

15. Red Menace

Let’s just hope that Luvu or Mauldin can step up and become the pass rushers this team needs. They don’t have to be pro bowlers, just have really good seasons, enough that Bowles doesn’t have to use Jamal Adams as a blitzer just to generate a pass rush.

16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

No. Because Revis was all universe then. We wont see CB play of that caliber in a long long time

Let's see if Maye and Adams can take steps forward and be more larcenous. That's what we need to take our secondary to the next level. But this year we'll have a strong and balanced unit.

17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Gotta say, I’m really rooting for this Luvu kid.

Not so sure about that Mauldin kid.

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I'd kill to have Calvin Pace, even with his limitations, at LB today getting after the QB.

19. Red Menace

I have been a Mauldin fan from day one but I have to agree that there is a big question mark. I wish the jets would let him be one dimensional, if that’s what he’s good at then so be it, don’t try and bulk him up, just let him go after the QB.

Luvu is explosive, all of a sudden he is just there, making the tackle. I think with some experience he will be a good LB in the NFL.

Reminds me of Yanick Nguye, before he got on the radar at the NFL level.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Mauldin was such a great story and showed so much promise but after the concussion/migraines/neck/shoulder tweaks and IR he really hasn’t shown much.

Now he’s dealing with a hammy and won’t play this week.

I don’t think he’s making this roster which is too bad.

Red Menace likes this.