ESPN: Jets' Sam Darnold wins over Josh Norman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 14, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

RICHMOND, Va. -- Washington Redskins corner Josh Norman wasn't prepared to like New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold. After three days of joint practice sessions, Norman felt he didn't have a choice.

Darnold, the third overall pick in the draft, worked against the Redskins' No. 1 defense during practices.

"Someone asked me about him the other day, and I was like, yeah, whatever, he's just a guy," Norman said. "Then you go out here and see him making these throws and you're like, all right. That's not so much a college-level throw. He's putting them on the money."

Darnold is competing against Teddy Bridgewater for the starting job. Both worked against the Redskins' defense in various situations, from full-team work to 7-on-7s and one-on-ones. But even if Bridgewater ends up starting, Darnold is the Jets' future.

Norman said he was impressed that Darnold didn't make mistakes and was accurate.

"It's like, dang," Norman said. "You get rookies in here, and you try to mess them with a little bit and bait them a little bit into thinking they're throwing a route, and you can make a play and he's not having it. It's so crazy to see that at an early age. Dak [Prescott] has that; Carson [Wentz] has that. So it's like, man, they must come in here not wanting to screw it up, and he's so far impressed me and I didn't want him to. I wanted to break all rookies. He's been doing a great job."

Norman said that on one play Tuesday, he tried to fool Darnold into a throw, playing a little tighter on an underneath route, knowing another receiver was just a little behind him.

"I gave him some cheese," Norman said. "He held it, and he was going to throw it, and he pulled it back and I jumped back real fast, and I was like, you little devil. OK, I see you working really good right now. I couldn't bait him like I wanted to, and he saw it and he read it out, and he read it out like a vet. You tip your hat to a guy like that, learning at an early age when guys are messing with him and when they're not. It's pretty awesome."

Had the New York Giants selected Darnold at No. 2, Norman might have faced him twice this year and in future seasons. The Giants selected running back Saquon Barkley.

When asked about the Giants' passing on Darnold, Norman said, "I don't know why. But it is what it is. I don't coach teams, but from what I'm seeing with that kid, he's all right, man. He really is. It's going to be interesting to see. He has the smarts and wittiness about him, and he'll make the plays when it comes his way. He'll be successful in this league if he keeps doing that."

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hell yeah. I know I know. Another Darnold thread but man. Not easy not to get excited.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24374490/washington-redskins-josh-norman-praises-jets-sam-darnold

Jets' Sam Darnold wins over Josh Norman

RICHMOND, Va. -- Washington Redskins corner Josh Norman wasn't prepared to like New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold. After three days of joint practice sessions, Norman felt he didn't have a choice.
    Darnold, the third overall pick in the draft, worked against the Redskins' No. 1 defense during practices.
    "Someone asked me about him the other day, and I was like, yeah, whatever, he's just a guy," Norman said. "Then you go out here and see him making these throws and you're like, all right. That's not so much a college-level throw. He's putting them on the money."

Darnold is competing against Teddy Bridgewater for the starting job. Both worked against the Redskins' defense in various situations, from full-team work to 7-on-7s and one-on-ones. But even if Bridgewater ends up starting, Darnold is the Jets' future.

Norman said he was impressed that Darnold didn't make mistakes and was accurate.

"It's like, dang," Norman said. "You get rookies in here, and you try to mess them with a little bit and bait them a little bit into thinking they're throwing a route, and you can make a play and he's not having it. It's so crazy to see that at an early age. Dak [Prescott] has that; Carson [Wentz] has that. So it's like, man, they must come in here not wanting to screw it up, and he's so far impressed me and I didn't want him to. I wanted to break all rookies. He's been doing a great job."

Norman said that on one play Tuesday, he tried to fool Darnold into a throw, playing a little tighter on an underneath route, knowing another receiver was just a little behind him.

"I gave him some cheese," Norman said. "He held it, and he was going to throw it, and he pulled it back and I jumped back real fast, and I was like, you little devil. OK, I see you working really good right now. I couldn't bait him like I wanted to, and he saw it and he read it out, and he read it out like a vet. You tip your hat to a guy like that, learning at an early age when guys are messing with him and when they're not. It's pretty awesome."

Had the New York Giants selected Darnold at No. 2, Norman might have faced him twice this year and in future seasons. The Giants selected running back Saquon Barkley.

When asked about the Giants' passing on Darnold, Norman said, "I don't know why. But it is what it is. I don't coach teams, but from what I'm seeing with that kid, he's all right, man. He really is. It's going to be interesting to see. He has the smarts and wittiness about him, and he'll make the plays when it comes his way. He'll be successful in this league if he keeps doing that."

NY Jets68 likes this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Hearing this coming from a good CB in the league who has played against him and not just some speculation from a beat writer speaks volumes for how good Sam is at this point in his development.

5. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

It's like deja vu all over again...

LF911SC, FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was listening to Francessa on my way home talking about how pre-season is meaningless and you cant take anything from what a player does in pre-season and thats just crap.
    You can see Darnold reading the defense...see him going through his reads... this kid is the real deal.

Brook!, NY Jets68, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Didn’t Russel Wilson beat out the vets in pre-season when he first came into the league?

Seriously, how is anyone supposed to get a read on how these guys are doing unless they see them take what’s on paper and apply it in real game situations?

TC, pre-season it’s the only way to tell.

Oh and are you really listening to Francesca? He was a has been 20 years ago. You’re better than that Joe!

;)

NYJetsO12 and Jersey Joe 67 like this.
  9. LF911SC

10. LF911SC

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Lol I’ve never liked him and hardly ever listen but I’m jonesing for some Jets news !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LF911SC, NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Francesa hates the Jets. He's seething on the inside that we found our QB of the future. He cannot handle on bit a consistently successful Jets franchise, or the Giants ever ending up in the shadow of the Jets.

GordonGecko, NYJetsO12 and BudJet like this.
  13. not so sure about that anymore.That was definitely true under many regimes but more recently he claims to like both NY teams & pulls for both & admits that other than perhaps the Knicks nothing would stir the city more than a Jets SB.

I think Mac is one of his inside sources & has earned over his respect.He also said no team was more gracious or generous for his “retirement than the jets”.

Further hes been very high on Darnold dating back 2 years ago. Even called him the best since Luck.Course im not so sure this is a good thing judging by Daniel Murphy & Jace Amaro.

MeanGreenMachine88 and GQMartin like this.
  14. LF911SC

Agree. He was pissed at the Jets when we initially switched to ESPN and he wasn't getting players first, had to wait for them to be interviewed on a competing station first.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You can say that again!

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Angry Bat Boy loves Sam...too funny

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

It only took a few practices for Josh Norman to acknowledge Sam Darnold. A rookie.

But yet it's considered a crime for a longtime Jets fan to feel Sam Darnold has a real shot at a Rookie of the year like rookie campaign. You criminal.

Can any one of you name me one rookie QB from 2018's draft class out of Baker Mayfield of Cleveland, Josh Allen of Buffalo, Josh Rosen of Arizona and/or Lamar Jackson of Baltimore...

That's currently being surrounded by as many offensive weapons as that of our very own Sam Darnold?

If yes, then who? If not, shut up.

And heaven forbid you mention the fact that Sam Darnold could be surrounded by not one, not two, not three but four 1,000 yard type receiving threats in Robby Anderson, Terrell Pryor, Jermaine Kearse & Quincy Enunwa (not to mention Bilal Powell as a proven pass catching HB coming out of the backfield specifically on 3rd downs) you'll then be mocked like a bird.

Just take a closer look at my forum user name.

Now tell me the last Jets rookie that I've talked up as my clear cut offseason favorite for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year was it Darrelle Revis, Vernon Gholston, Kyle Wilson, Muhammad Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams or maybe even a 2nd rounder in Marcus Maye?

Then and only then can they mock me for my belief in Sam Darnold.

I just think it's been awesome how our GM in Mike Maccagnan became aggressive and traded up from 6th to 3rd overall in order to steal the NFL's best QB Prospect since Andrew Luck in Sam Darnold ala Suck for Luck / Suck for Sam cries.

I just find it pretty exciting how the likes of veteran Jet teammates, media pundit writers such as Manish Mehta and former Pro-Bowl/All-Pro NFL DB's (Josh Norman) are all gushing over our prized 1st round draft pick.

How can anyone hate on this?

#18 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody hates on your ideas.......you bring up good points. The thing is you have to remember is most of the fans on this board ( some older than me ) have been around a lot longer and have seen a lot of things go wrong......from the KC playoff game in '69 to current...they are waiting for the other shoe to drop by habit....

I agree it's very easy to get excited over the reports from TC and other established veterans gushing over Darnold. In fact I'm trying to contain myself.....but when other posters stress it's just training camp and the OL is slightly below average they are correct also. We don't want to see Sam trot out there one day and get concussed or God forbid a knee injury because of a leaky OL. I understand that can happen to anybody even behind a good OL but with an OL as shaky as this one there is a greater chance of it happening and considering prior Jets luck it very well could....in hindsight it would have been better had the OL been reworked before finding your franchise QB but as it turned out Darnold was there and Mac had to take him. The OL will have to wait another year so the team needs to make the best of it and design more rollout plays , quick drops, etc.

But I appreciate your enthusiasm and I think the Jets may have finally gotten their QB issue solved...fingers crossed.

#19 mrjet80, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  19. LF911SC

There is a huge difference between understanding that the OL isnt a strength and needs improvement and its the reason why Sam Darnold should be kept on the bench and held back, delaying his learning stage