Mehta: "Oline needs attention" - understatement

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

In a nutshell, Mehta is right. Darnold too many times got flushed from the pocket. Good thing the kid can run. Dennison's run blocking scheme just needs the right people to run it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-sports-mehta-darnold-oline-20180813-story.html

Mehta: Jets can't make the same mistake with Sam Darnold as the Colts did with Andrew Luck by ignoring offensive line deficiencies

By Manish Mehta
    Aug 14, 2018 | 7:20 AM

The flip side to the Sam Darnold lovefest in the preseason opener a few days ago was the elephant in the room that could become a significant issue if the Jets aren’t careful.

Darnold was doing Darnold-like things against the Falcons, displaying his special gifts that have him on track to be the Week 1 starter, partly because of the breakdowns along a suspect offensive line that prompted the rookie to wiggle out of potential disaster.

While we were going gaga over Darnold’s heady 18-yard completion to Clive Walford that set up an even headier 14-yard touchdown pass while on the run to Charles Johnson, we should have stopped to think about why the rookie had to display those skills in the first place.The pocket collapsed.

Darnold’s mobility will help mitigate some of those concerns up front, but the brain trust must prioritize offensive line upgrades moving forward if they don’t want their golden boy to suffer the same fate as another chosen-one signal caller forced to pause his career last season due to organizational malpractice.

Andrew Luck’s body has been ravaged by needless pounding behind a neglected offensive line for years. It wasn’t long ago when Luck was the coveted rookie with fantastic mobility, elusiveness and a high football I.Q.
    The Colts inexplicably rolled out a subpar offensive line rather than protect their most important asset. The result: Luck missed the entire 2017 season with a shoulder injury that surely resulted from an accumulation of body blows.

The Jets simply cannot afford to make those same mistakes with Darnold.

Gang Green’s offensive line, which had the fifth-highest sack percentage and seventh most sacks (47) allowed last season, has been inexplicably neglected during Mike Maccagnan’s tenure. Maccagnan has had 28 picks in four drafts. He’s selected a grand total of one offensive lineman (2016 fifth-rounder Brandon Shell). The Jets have added one notable free-agent lineman: Center Spencer Long this offseason.

That must change if the Jets want to take care of their most important asset. Although it’s unfair to draw definitive conclusions about this year’s line, the early returns aren’t exactly promising. The Jets first and second-team offensive line had an uneven showing in the first preseason game. New position coach/run-game coordinator Rick Dennison’s zone-blocking centric scheme needs a lot of work. Dennison believes that he has “a lot of hard workers” at his disposal, but willingness to get better will only get you so far without top-notch talent. “They’re smart,” Dennison said. “And they’re willing to learn. They’re willing to do what’s best for the team. They’ve done a good job in competing.” Competition obviously is a good thing, but there are some guys who simply aren’t athletic enough to play Dennison’s scheme. The outside zone runs weren’t particularly effective in the preseason opener. There were plenty of breakdowns in the run game (see: every run to tackle Brent Qvale’s side).

The pass protection wasn’t a train wreck, but there were too many times when Darnold was under duress. Part of the beauty of having Darnold, who is in line to start the second preseason game against Washington Thursday night after taking the lion’s share of first-team reps in practice for a second consecutive day, is masking offensive line holes. His elusiveness and prowess throwing on the run will sometimes overcome poor protection. That said, you don’t want to tempt fate by consistently asking your quarterback to leave the pocket. Sooner or later, he’s going to take a shot that he won’t be able to bounce back from right away.

Sure, the Jets have several linemen with position versatility, but how much value does that ultimately have if the players don’t have the requisite skills to consistently keep the quarterback out of harm’s way? The Colts’ old regime ignored the offensive line before GM Chris Ballard invested a first- and second-round pick this offseason to protect Luck. The Jets absolutely need to make a similar commitment in the draft and free agency next year. In the meantime, Darnold will use his skills to cover for the deficiencies up front.

“When he’s out here, he’s just so composed and poised,” wide receiver Jermaine Kearse said on Monday. “You never see him wide-eyed. If he makes a mistake, it’s kind of like, ‘Learn from it and move on to the next.’ That’s what I really like seeing from Sam. I noticed that from the first time he came in at OTAs. He’s steadily getting better each day. He improves each day. His composure is on a vet level.”

The Jets privately have been exceedingly pleased with Darnold’s development that will include a healthy dose of playing time with the starters in the second preseason game. “He’s just got to get used to throwing to different guys,” Bowles said Monday. “As he gets to know the players and know what they can do, I’m sure he’ll figure that part out. Josh [McCown] can help him to a certain degree, but experience can help him even more. So just being out there and getting used to the guys and receivers. And that’s what we’re trying to do with him.”

Although Bowles admitted that he won’t announce any changes to his quarterback “depth chart” that currently has Darnold as the No. 3 guy in the pecking order behind McCown and Teddy Bridgewater, I would be stunned if Darnold were not the Week 1 starter barring a severe regression in the next couple weeks. The Jets have been downright giddy about the rookie’s capacity to learn and transfer everything that he’s seen in the film room to the practice field.

“It’s important for every rookie to take it from the classroom to the field,” Bowles said. “The fact that you can learn it and then come out and apply it says volumes about your learning ability and your mentality and what you’re trying to do.”

Darnold is the present and the future. The Jets better invest in better resources to protect him.

tomdeb, Brook! and CBG like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I do worry sick about the O line. Many are going gaga over the potential of getting Mack on a trade. I worry more about retaining all ammunition to beef up the O line.

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I'm at peace with the projected starting line but injuries concern me, particularly LT and C. The 1st team line with Qvale at LT did OK against the Falcons, and so did the 2nd line when TB and Sam had their scoring drives. The line was pretty bad in the 2nd half though.

With the #1 pick next year Macc really needs to target a LT in the draft and target C & G with remaining picks. If he can get Mack with the #1 pick he should consider it but he will need to have a plan B to upgrade the line without that pick.

Sam Hammer, Cman68 and FJF like this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cman,,,,,,,I have been saying and arguing with friends about this for months. I think Macs philosophy of how to build the line is just asking for trouble.ps I would NOT start Darnold from day for t

NYJetsO12 and Brook! like this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

6. Cman68

It wouldn't be so bad if All-Pro linemen were in abundance in FA. Macc so far hasn't really delivered on the OL and his refusal to draft them early will become problematic in the near future. Its kinda like having a Lambo running on retread tires. At some point, those tires just give out.

I would watch closely how the OLine is playing during the preseason.No way would I let Darnold take the ass kickin though. I would start McCown and if he gets smashed, play Teddy. Protecting Darnold should be the priority instead of wins at any cost. Especially if the FO/CS is targeting the 2019-2020 season.

joe, Brook!, hwismer and 3 others like this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

8. Cman68

But what color is it?

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Because of this marginal OL condition, we will be forced to keep a blocking TE and a big blocking FB to double team the rushers. Neither will see much action as a receiver. But protecting Sam is, or better be, number one priority. They better not pull an Andrew Luck cluster fuck move. As much as I like Mac this is his number one weakness. You just don't get top, top OL talent in the later rounds. Not very often at all.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Again, Sam's ability to thrive outside the pocket does counter act the mediocre O-line a little bit.

That being said, it doesn't make it acceptable to neglect improving the OL in the near future.

Problem is, there are several positions with an equal level of need severity and not enough resources to get them.

Right now I have EDGE + OL followed by WR1 with an equal level of importance.

Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Only problem with OL being a problem is it is pretty much a problem for 5 positions. If we were to get an edge rusher, that problem is solved. Signing one good guard, still leaves us at average or below for 4 equally important positions. OL is going to take some major work this offseason.

12. The biggest problem w the OL is that there arent any bulls to lean on.You need at least 2 that the unit can depend on to anchor different schemes week to week. I think 2 clear upgrades would make a world of difference.With carpenter off the books after this year & Beachem upgradeable we could easily see a brand new left side for next season.That will make a world of a diference.If the right side/long falter we can address those spots in 20 & beyond

It would be so huge if Garcia could step up & become the LT.Then perhaps we could upgrade in 2 other spots

As for Mehta’s article.I agree however hes wrong about MAC only drafting 1 OL as he drafted Jarvis Harrison year 1. Also i fear theyll overemphasize the OL & take a “good enough” approach to the skills never exploring a true #1 or big play explosion

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This offensive line sucks

NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Good to see Manish starting to come back to his old self. ;) This is pretty obvious and it's the only way the Jets can F this up. However, of the three QB's which one would you rather have back there when Bates calls more roll-outs to compensate for so-so pass blocking?

FJF likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all but the last sentence. There is no plan B to add your future starting LT. That takes a #1 pick and possibly more if you aren't drafting high enough and have to trade up. Stud edge rushers usually aren't available in FA, but there could be 3-4 next year. There will be no topflight LTs available in FA. IMO the Jets' #1 pick (and possibly more) in 2019 must be spent on their future LT. With all the cap space they'll have, they can sign an edge rusher or two, a better center and a better OG. They can also use their other draft picks on OL. Their LT will have to come from the draft.

Noam, NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's also wrong about Mac signing only one notable FA in Long. Carpenter was a FA. Mac also tried to trade up for Tunsil.

Noam and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The best OL usually don't make it to free agency and next year looks to be no different. There's supposed to be quite a few LT prospects in next year's draft. As much as I'd like a pass rusher with the first pick, OL needs to be the top priority with a FQB. There might be some good pass rushers in free agency next year.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I think they'll definitely be picking up another teams surprise o line cut later on. Can't see them not.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think the team believes in the offensive line more than we do. Which is fine, but they are putting their jobs on the line for it. I think they want to see how Dennison can coach in Bates system and the fact that Winters will be back to form. Beachum is an average left tackle and received the highest rating in our lineman in PFF. Has anyone heard anything about Shell? I mean if he continues to improve then I could see this offensive line being better than we think but more than anything I don’t want to see Sam getting killed out there.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Are there ever any really good "surprise o line cuts"? Maybe someone for added depth, but not a difference maker. Hope I'm wrong.