Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Honest question: if somehow Mayfield and Darnold we’re both available at three, do the Jets still take Darnold? I know it’s academic, but I’ve heard so many conflicting things I’m wondering what the feeling is out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think about 95% of people, myself included, take Darnold in that situation. Not that I don't like Mayfield, but Sam was clearly the best of the QB prospects this year.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Tough question. There's really no way to know without knowing the mindset of the Jets draft staff, and even there I'm sure there were differences of opinion. We can know that the Jets in settling for the 3rd overall pick could not possibly have been targeting Darnold all along, otherwise they would have done whatever it took to get the No. 1 choice from Cleveland. Therefore, I think they would have taken Mayfield because that's who they figured had the better odds to be there at 3.

As you said it's all academic now. As most on this board know, I liked Mayfield a lot, thought he was the best prospect. I think he 's going to be a special player for the Browns. However, after watching Sam last week, I'm ecstatic about how it all played out.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s just that the Jets seemed to be playing up Mayfield as their preference, then seemed to say it was Darnold they wanted all along. No matter now; let’s hope he stays healthy and is successful. I think we’re due for some good luck, no?

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That seems like some convoluted thinking there. You say they were thinking Darnold would not be available at the 3rd pick but if he was there they would still take Mayfield? They may have felt Mayfield was an acceptable consolation prize, but just because they didn't want to give up a kings ransom to get to number one is no reason for them to not take a QB they had rated higher if he did fall to #3.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

I think you are confusing the Jets and the Press. I don't think the Jets were playing any prospect up. A look at each of their respective Pro Days should tell you where the interest was. Maccagnan, Bowles, Heimerdinger, and Bates were at Darnold's. Mac was the only one at Mayfield's I believe.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think you only have to watch/listen to the clip when they phone Darnald and tell him glad to have you man, we didn't think we had any chance of getting you etc etc.

They wanted Darnald all along, the clips of Mac standing in the just behind the coaches watching Darnald closely speaks volumes on who he wanted, of course, there had to be a contingency plan and that would have been Mayfield imo but we will never know for sure.

FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think their draft order was Darnold, then Rosen, then Mayfield. I think they take Darnold over Mayfield in that situation.

KurtTheJetsFan and Wahoo like this.
  9. westiedog1

Not going to defend it, because I really don't know. I figured if they really wanted Darnold they would have ponied up to get him, also probably a little bias thrown in there. However, in hindsight, having witnessed what Darnold did in his first pro game, would you have paid the king's ransom to get him? I would.

10. The Waterboy

I think 3 was a good spot when you balance out what choice they would have at 3, likely Darnold or Rosen, vs ponying up much more in picks to have their 1st choice.

I just didn't understand your reasoning that the Jets would take their number 2 ranked QB with their number 1 ranked QB still available.

11. westiedog1

Okay, but you you'd have to convince me that Darnold was the No. 1 ranked QB on their board. Haven't seen any proof of that.

12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think their draft order was Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen--never figuring they'd land Darnold.

Silly Giants.

A RB over a franchise QB.

Btw, we'll never know but I don't think the Jets were very high on Rosen but would have taken him if Mayfield/Darnold went 1/2.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Francesa & another columnist(cant remember who) seemed to think they liked Rosen over Mayfield.

I also think theres a difference between having a player ranked #1 & being “who they wanted all along”. Seems pretty clear Darnold was their #1 but they wouldve traded to #1 if they were dead set on him as they felt the whole process through he was going 1st overall. They liked Darnold the best but clearly also really liked the other 2 hence the trade up to 3.Darnold falling was just the iving on the cake

Harpua likes this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

Yeah, we'll never know, a bunch of other folks had Mayfield as the Jets number 1 choice (after Darnold).

Not sure Cleveland or the Giants would have traded out of 1 or 2 for any price. Like a few years ago with Mariota, TN was not trading that pick for anything.

I still can't believe what morons the Giants were for taking a RB over Darnold.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. westiedog1

Don't agree. They obviously think Eli has a few more years left and so do I. Eli is not the transitional QB his brother was but if surrounded by talent on both sides of the ball, he has proven he can win. Having Barkley gives the Giant offense a whole other dimension that defenses have to worry about. One of the aspects of the championship Giants was a strong running game. Now they have that again, provided Barkley stays healthy. Had they drafted a QB, it would have meant retooling the entire offense. Plus, it's not like there'll never be another promising QB coming out in the draft, and if I'm wrong, they'll have an opportunity to draft one sooner rather than later.

16. Rollo Tomassi

I get that rationale but I really think Eli is close do done and IMHO Darnold is a generational talent.

I’m not a Giant fan but if I was I would be all over a rebuild for the next decade with another franchise QB.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. westiedog1

And I get where you're coming from too. Either you like Eli, or you don't. I happen to like him. Nevertheless, I would venture to say that most Giant fans want him around a bit longer judging by the commotion when they benched him last season.

BTW, I agree with your first line in your previous post about not knowing how each QB was ranked.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Reminds me of me - I say 'Can't wait til next year' every year

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member