Break the training camp boredom!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Aug 13, 2018.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm reading along with the threads just like the rest of you, about each out of character gush by Manish, every post about Terrelle Pryor running fast in practice, or how many tight ends are banged up, or how Sam can throw while running left, what we might get for Teddy, blah blah. It's all we got, and we're champing at the bit for it to count.

Then I stumbled upon this great video piece of Jets history. There's so much in here that's awesome, that I don't know where to begin. Wow! I was 12 at the time, and this game meant a lot for obvious reasons. Looking back now there's so much that strikes me. One of which is that, had you asked me today how the game ended, I'd have told you "Namath naked bootleg" which was not the case. Also, Bob Burns? Who the hell is Bob Burns? haha. Leahy was signed two days ago!

So now, let's go back to 1974 for the Battle for New York, fought in New Haven CT of course...

#1 LogeSection2RowJ, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    boozer32, FlaJet, NYJetsO12 and 6 others like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Great thread. Awesome post.

We should make this the official Jets/Giants preseason pregame Thread. Hah. A classic one.

I just watched and being born in 85' I was intrigued the entire time watching, just knowing that I was yet to be born and wasn't even alive (that I know of) back in 1974 and there I was; watching Joe Willie Namath warming up, dropping back and throwing the football from under Center. Neat bit of NY Football history.

Funny. Me being born in 1985. I was only 12 years old as well. And I also have a game that has meant the most to me. To this very day too.

Week 17.

Need I say more?

Win and WE'RE IN!!

But then Barry Sanders happened.

Got his 2,000+ rushing yards on the year on us and just our luck we had to run into #20 ala 1997's MVP.

That game has stuck with me like none other. My first real Jets heartbreak.

That 1997 loss instantly prepared me for 1998 and Denver. 1999 Vinny. 2009 @ Indianapolis. 2010 @ Pittsburgh.

1997 @ Detroit? Win and we're in? Inside of that loud dome? That day was my first true Jets letdown. 12 years old. Was not fair to me.

If Darnold can't become and break all of Joe's records I'm convinced no one can; Sam Darnold is my last hope.

#2 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. Fiddlesticks Weedpockets

I've been a fan of this team for@40 years. Never easy. My son is a JETS fan(that pains me). All I want is 1. Too much to ask? Seemingly. Remember all of that and so much more. It's coming. First time since Chad that I've felt this way. Maybe I'm pipe dreaming but there's something in the air. Take pride in the missery. It's a big ole nasty badge of honor. It'll get better. The more you know. Cue music.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

My first Jets letdown ( heartbreak ) was the AFC wildcard loss to the Bills in 1981 at Shea. I was 10 years old......anticipating the whole week - can't wait can't wait......Bruce Harper fumbles the opening kickoff and the Bills run it in for a TD....and wind up going up 24-0. I was 10 and wanted to puke....then the Jets made a comeback, lifted my hopes, and Richard Todd was intercepted in the end zone with 6 seconds left reducing this ten year old to tears............it's been a long 37 years.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Doug Brien missing 2 FG's at Pitt in the divisional game back in 2004 was crushing. The second attempt would've left no time for the Steelers and send us to the AFC Championship game where anything could've have happened. We played the Pats tough in NE that year, losing a defensive struggle. I was too young to experience heartbreak over the '98 team blowing a 10 point lead in the AFC Championship game at Denver.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

7. LogeSection2RowJ

Come on now fellas - here I start a positive nostalgic thread to help us through the tedium of training camp and preseason games, and it's immediately pulled into "Jets heartbreak rememberences" AGAIN :(

For the record, I personally witnessed: The Buffalo '81 playoff game, and the Denver and Pittsburgh Championship games. So, you got nothing on me ; )

8. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Nice Drive :) O'Brien was my favorite player when I grew up watching the Jets.

FlaJet, K'OB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

Speaking of 1974 Jets vs. Giants, I believe this was the second meeting between the two teams. The first was an exhibition game - also held at the Yale Bowl in front of 70,000 plus in August 1969. Exhibition games then were unlike they are now. Teams played to win. In fact, coming off their win in SB3, this game was huge as a validation of their title in their own city.

[​IMG]

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, the incidental implications of that. I hope you're not the Jets kicker. Welcome, though. : )

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to see that here - I uploaded that clip to YouTube years ago! I taped the game while I was at the University of Iowa for the 1988-89 academic year. It's one of my best experiences as a Jets fan, mainly because I was a huge Ken O'Brien fan and this win was some sort of vindication for him after he'd been benched earlier in the year. I loved the commentary on that final play too...

Bradshaw: Play action Verne?
    Lundquist: Don't think so
    Bradshaw: Do you take a shot? Sure.
    Ludquist: No play action, but a shot... Touchdown! Al Toon!

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone notice the tremendous blunder by genius coach Bill Parcells? On the first play after the 2-minute warning, when the Jets converted a third down pass to Schuler, Parcells waited 19 seconds to call a timeout. The Giants got the ball back with 37 seconds left - think those extra 19 seconds might have been useful?

Dierking and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Glory Days...they just pass you by...in a wink of a young girls eye

Glory Days Glory Days Glory Days

15. LogeSection2RowJ

Ah, what a great time we had at the game that day. I had six seats back then, so two Giants fan family members came with us. My Jets fan brothers and I had a chant going all day "Jets Eagles Rams! Jets Eagles Rams!" Those were the three teams needing to win that day in order for the Giants to be eliminated from playoff qualifying. Toon made it happen. (Note: we still say "Jets Eagles Rams" to this day, just for the hell of it ; )

ukjetsfan likes this.
  16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I was spending a sabbatical visiting the Biostatistics group at the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center then, and a good friend who was a Giants fan worked in the group. I walked into his office the next morning, yelled "Toooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", and walked out. A vivid memory to this day.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Terrible clock management there.

18. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Was talking about this in another thread. I'm 31 so this for me (the Doug Brien game) was the one that left me with the most crushing feeling. I was old enough to experience that 98 loss (I was 11) and I remember feeling like "Oh, but Vinny is awesome and we're gonna be the best team for a bunch of years now and will have another chance at a superbowl."

So young......so naive.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Can't imagine what shape his knees were. Very sad to see that that's how he ran at the age of 31. Could barely move

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Awesome. And great play by Shuler converting that 3rd down on a high throw from O'Brien

Giants could've still made the playoffs if the Rams lost that night to the 49ers. But the 9ers already clinched their division. They pulled their regulars early and the Rams won 38-16.