To Which Team & When Teddy Is Traded?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships:
    I see all of these points I made went right over your head.

As in. He's here on a 1 year deal and is to be used as trade bait in order to receive assets in order to build around Sam Darnold.
    Um. Who said anything about "not keeping him up until the trade deadline"? Not i (and you'll see below).

What's so hard to understand? Sam Darnold is our Franchise hopeful and one we traded up to 3rd overall to draft. Not Teddy Bridgewater. He's here as trade bait. Plain and simple. Maccagnan will look to trade Teddy Bridgewater for the best offer and rightfully so.

Anyone who feels different is naive if you think that A.) Maccagnan has any future plans for Bridgewater a Jet after the drafting of Sam Darnold and/or B.) Teddy Bridgewater has any future dreams of playing for the Jets after the trade up for & drafting of Sam Darnold.
    And that's just the reality of it all.

In a perfect/fantasy world Teddy agrees to an extension with NYJ. But I'm talking reality here. And The NYJ book was closed on Bridgewater the moment Sam was drafted.

The ONLY Bridgewater plan for Maccagnan is to pray to God that Teddy Bridgewater continues to look awesome throughout the remainder of our preseason in order to create a buzz around Bridgewater's name in order to come up with a sign and trade to another team while gaining assets for next year's draft in order to BUILD AROUND SAM DARNOLD .

P.S: I was being sarcastic when stating we should have never drafted Darnold if Bridgewater were some type of long term option. For the fans too naive to understand he's here as trade bait and has zero intentions of staying in N.Y after Darnold's arrival.

Teddy is gambling on himself. He's not a Jets fan. He's not loyal to this franchise and he has zero desire of staying here past 2018.

Darnold: Franchise.
    McCown: Mentor.
    Bridgewater: 2018 Trade Bait.

It's really not hard to understand.

Holy shit that's a long post.

[​IMG]

QUOTE=NCJetsfan:

Dude, you need to get a grip.

I see all of these points I made went right over your head.
    You didn't make any points.

Um. Who said anything about "not keeping him up until the trade deadline"? Not i (and you'll see below).
    YOU did in post #15 of this thread. See below for your exact words!

But we can not keep him long term or even as you stated, for a while. We just can't.
    What's so hard to understand? Sam Darnold is our Franchise hopeful and one we traded up to 3rd overall to draft. Not Teddy Bridgewater. He's here as trade bait. Plain and simple. Maccagnan will look to trade Teddy Bridgewater for the best offer and rightfully so.
    It's not a matter of understanding, but if anything, you are the one who doesn't understand. Teddy was signed before the draft. There were no guarantees that we'd get Darnold or that the QB we wound up drafting would develop. Saying that Mac brought in Teddy solely as trade bait is absurd. He wasn't signed after we drafted Darnold. Teddy was probably brought in as insurance in case we didn't get Darnold or Mayfield or the QB we got didn't develop quickly. He was also probably signed because the team needed 3 QBs and McCown is 39 and has an injury history. He was also probably brought in to help mentor the rookie they drafted. For you to say he was brought in solely as trade bait is simply laughable. You don't know everything even though you obviously think you do. NONE of us knows the exact reasons Mac signed Teddy or what he was thinking. All we can do is guess.

Anyone who feels different is naive if you think that A.) Maccagnan has any future plans for Bridgewater a Jet after the drafting of Sam Darnold and/or B.) Teddy Bridgewater has any future dreams of playing for the Jets after the trade up for & drafting of Sam Darnold.

And that's just the reality of it all. In a perfect/fantasy world Teddy agrees to an extension with NYJ. But I'm talking reality here. And The NYJ book was closed on Bridgewater the moment Sam was drafted.
    You're making a straw man argument here. No one is suggesting that Teddy is likely to be here long term. Several of us love Teddy and would love it if he could stay, but with the way Darnold is developing and playing, that's not gonna happen, unless Teddy decides to just be happy being a backup QB on the Jets, which I don't think would happen, nor would I want it to. He deserves to be starting for some team in the NFL. Still, perish the thought but what if Darnold went down with a career-ending injury before Teddy was traded? Do you think Mac would still trade him? So to say that the NYJ book was closed on Teddy the moment Sam was drafted is BS. Every other team's QBs could stay healthy and perform to their satisfaction and no team could make Mac a decent trade offer. Mac isn't gonna give him away for a 6th round pick. Teddy could also wind up starting the season for the Jets this season. If he does, and the team starts out 5-0, do you seriously think Mac would trade Teddy if he wasn't offered at least a 2nd round pick, if at all?

Getting a draft pick for Teddy isn't the only consideration. The Jets need 3 QBs for the season, especially with their OL being questionable and McCown's age and injury history. Mac might be perfectly happy to keep Teddy for the entire season and then let him walk next season and get nothing further from him.

Holy shit that's a long post.

[​IMG]

Holy shit that's a good post.

[​IMG]

#41 joe, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    TonyFtLaud, themorey and FJF like this.
  2. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Wait until a team offers us a very good starter especially on the O line. If not he is excellent security should one of the other GB's goes down.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This is another hang up I have in the Bridgewater debate. The idea that he "just wants to go be a starter" I mean I agree to that in principle and I'm sure he'd like to be, as would about 200 other pro QB's out there but where exactly is this going to happen so easily?

Exactly nowhere at the moment. Injuries happen but there literally isn't one team out there where he could easily just waltz in, toss his duffel bag in the corner, and take command of the situation. If there was such a place he would have signed there a few months ago. The Vikings obviously didn't think he was up to it. At this moment (ironically) the Jets might offer one of the more likely paths to playing time for him in the entire NFL. Its not even out of the question he starts the season for them as some have suggested.

I'll bet a nickel on it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't spend the entire year (at least) with the Jets and if they do trade him away they better not end up needing him. Otherwise I'll be one irritated Jet fan unless they get some outrageous haul for him.

FlaJet, NYJetsO12 and LarryAlRalph like this.
  4. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

^This. Geez guys, one exhibition against a team that sat a bunch of vets and already half the roster here is smelling where they peed? Here's two words for you: Derrius Guice. What happens if one of the three is injured? So just cool your jets (to coin a phrase). Watch. Learn. Darnold may be the future, but he hasn't proved it yet. And it's a long way to Sept 10th.

FlaJet and Wahoo like this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm sure some, maybe even most will disagree with my thought process but I'm just trying to look at things through Mike Maccagnan, and only Mike Maccagnan's glasses.

My theory (below) goes like this. And that's only if i were Maccagnan, the GM.

I just gave away multiple draft picks and traded away valuable assets in order to move up from 6th overall to 3rd overall. I was so scared that the draft would go Darnold/Mayfield 1-2. But it didn't.

And I just walked away with Sam Darnold.

My job now. Is to build around Sam Darnold.

So far i feel as if I'm off to a good start. And below I'll explain why.

First and foremost my Rookie QB investment and prized 1st Rd draft pick in Sam Darnold now has a returning veteran mentor (with 17 years of NFL experience) in Josh McCown here; in order to help ease my rookie's transition from USC & into the Pro's. My rookie quarterback is in good hands.

I'm also sitting on a former 1st round Quarterback who's in the midst of a magical comeback attempt/return to stardom from a career ending (threatening) type of knee injurie(s) in Teddy Bridgewater.

I'm playing with house money here.

And thats because i signed him for pennies on the dollar during Free Agency.

He's betting this preseason, on himself.

With Teddy I've now created the classic example of a guaranteed low risk / potentially high reward payoff.

I signed Bridgewater as "draft insurance" just in case the draft process went south. I decided later on (shortly thereafter) that I still needed to trade up from 6th to 3rd overall.

I wasn't happy enough with just McCown as an aging soon to be 40 year old vet and Teddy on a 1 year deal as a medical question mark. Not after what I seen happen to #24 Darrelle Revis I wasn't.

I needed a long term solution. A Franchise caliber signal caller through the draft. For a Franchise starved of one since dating back to Joe Namath of 1969.

So with that said I'm sorry, but if Teddy Bridgewater continues to absolutely impress opposing GM's throughout the remainder of our preseason games?

Creates an even bigger NFL buzz around his name?

And teams come knocking on our door (before or at the trade deadline) with an offer of a 2nd round draft pick for Teddy or a trade package consisting of a 3rd & 4th round draft pick(s)?

Well then if you're Mike Maccagnan, you then strike and take the best return trade assets possible.

We got Bridgewater for pennies on the dollar with Josh to groom and potentially ease Darnold.

So in closing:

If you're able to flip and later on turn Teddy into yet another offensive weapon for Sam consisting of either an Offensive Tackle prospect with pass protection ability, a Center with road grader potential, an explosive Running Back out of the backfield, a dynamic big play Wide Receiver on the outside or a "can't miss" vertical deep threat of an extremely athletically gifted pass catching TE...you pull the trigger and you don't look back.

Are both of Maccagnan and Bowles gambling on Bridgewater, or are they betting on Sam Darnold?

The answer to this solution for me is a no brainier.

Teddy continues to shine throughout preseason...

And you then approach an extremely talented team and potential contender (such as a) Jacksonville with an offer.

You wait for Bortles to struggle.

And you then wait until they make us an offer you can't refuse.

It's not rocket science.

#45 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    BudJet likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

And last but not least, but if you're Teddy?

Come the offseason?

With dreams of returning to NFL stardom?

Would he look to restart his NFL run with...

The Eagles with Wentz?
    The Rams with Goff?
    The Colts with Luck?
    The Raiders with Carr?
    The 49ers with Jimmy G?
    The Cowboys with Prescott?
    The Titans with Mariota?
    The Falcons with Ryan?
    The Seahawks with Wilson?
    The Packers with Rodgers?

Etc. Etc.

If no, then why in the world would he seek out staying in NY (past 2018) just to compete against a #3 pick in Sam Darnold every day?

Why?

When there are (potentially) other teams out there, with more of an ideal QB situation, and who offer more opportunities such as...

Jacksonville with Bortles on the QB hot seat and with Leonard Fournette and a stacked defense already in place.

Tampa Bay (Winston may not last too much longer down here).

N.Y Giants with Eli Manning aging and Saquon/Beckham Jr already there.

Denver Broncos as still being a solid QB away from being a heavyweight contender.

Etc. Etc.

These types of teams want Teddy?

And they make the call?

Then I bet he'll be more than happy to accept a long-term sign and trade in order to get out of here asap with a nice contract. Ala the gamble on himself paid off and now being completed.

He brings us trade asset's before the trade deadline or he's gone elsewhere come 2019.

But he's not going to agree to remain a Jet past 2018.

The writing is on the wall. The writing has been on the wall.

Macc knows what to do. And he knows what situation he's currently in. He's ready to cash out.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

To be fair the Vikings saw Teddy while he was working back. And they have SB aspirations and there's no way they were going to gamble on Teddy while he was working his way back, not with that roster being SB contenders. They couldn't take that risk. Also again he just finally made it back on the field last year, likely not at 100% neither.

Mind you some say Teddy's injury was so bad they didn't think he'd play again. The Jets had the perfect opportunity for TB to come here because he didn't have expectations here except to show he can be the QB everyone thought he would be again. Say the Jets drafted someone who wasn't on a path to be ready by week 1, TB coulda been and still could be that guy to on pace to start. It just so happens the CS seems to be sold the Sam can handle being the starter and seem prepared to hand the reigns to him. Sam could perform badly and you still got TB as an option just in case.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Unfortunately the fact that we signed him for only one year will negate any chance of trading him for anything worthwhile unless...a major contending team has their starter go down for any length of time over the next 3 weeks and them maybe we get something in return. Otherwise a 3rd round pick would probably be the best we can hope for.

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I cannot agree with those who think if we keep Teddy we got nothing for him.

If he stays the entire year and doesn’t play at all, we still got exactly what we paid for - a 1 year insurance policy.

If he happens to start some or even play then we got a 1 year insurance policy that we got a claim paid on.

I personally do not think the Jets are getting a 2nd or even a 3rd for Teddy when any team that wants him can get at the end of the season. If some catastrophe happens and a team is that desperate for him which means Mac has the leverage we better hold them to the fire and get a 2nd plus for him to be worth it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Wait it out. The problem is right now the Pats and Giants are the two best places for Teddy. That's not going to fly. Keep him until someone gets hurt on a contending team.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This thread turned into an abomination.

Also @Brook! can you please update the thread title? It makes absolutely no sense and it's triggering to stare at in the main Jet forum.

Maybe: "To Which Team & When Teddy Is Traded?"

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Sounds like a smart guy.

Btw, I’m not suggesting we trade him in the next 15 minutes, just in advance of the trade deadline.

But folks suggesting he may just be happy with a long term gig as Sam’s backup, sit back and collect paychecks as a desirable alternative to being an NFL starting QB....are just Jet fans.

He’s not a Jet fan.

LF911SC, themorey and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i woudlnt trade teddy unless we get a huge godfather offer. i mean, the guy was a high prospect who player well prior to injury and looked decent in his first action back.

insurance is huge in this league and teddy is young enough to be long term insurance

FlaJet likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So you consider 1 year long term insurance?

Leicester Jet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

FlaJet likes this.
  17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

If it was really just a 4th round pick, I would rather keep him as a quality back-up all year even if he did walk at the end of it and we got nothing. We won't really know anything about Sam until the real games start.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The smart play is to start Dranold and keep Teddy as the 2nd string back-up. McCown should be the 3rd string QB who we don't have to include on the 45 man active roster every Sunday but can still be on the sidelines to help Darnold. McCown is getting paid 10 million dollars this year not because he is worth that as a player but because he of what he can provide Darnold and Bridgewater on their headset, sideline and in the locker/meeting rooms.

All that said, if a team becomes desperate after an injury to their starter and is willing to shell out a Day 2 or higher pick for Bridgewater, we have no choice but to jump on it.

FJF likes this.
  19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Because there's not going to be enough reps for everyone if they keep all three around. I do think they'll start the season with all three given they have three games in eleven days but after that I could definitely see a deadline deal assuming none of them have gotten hurt by then.

It's gonna be fascinating to see how they work this out. Even though Bridgewater's a lot younger than McCown for all intents and purposes he's basically a one-year guy too. If he's good he'd walk at the end of the year and sign where he'll be a starter anyway. Clearly they want Darnold to start and if he isn't completely ready he looks darn close already, so it's a matter of which guy is the better complement - the older mentor or the young guy who's a better talent?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. EAF29

EAF29 Member

If Bridgewater plays well again on Thursday, to the Bucs for a 2nd or 3rd.

Dirk Koetter and Jason Licht are on hot seat and have Fitzpatrick starting against the Saints, Eagles and Steelers to start the season. 0-3 in a division that sent 3 teams to the playoffs last year is not good for their long term job outlook. I know they picked up Winston’s 5th year option, but this allows for them to stay competitive during the first three weeks. If Bridgewater plays well, it allows them to move on from Winston a little easier, bc clearly he doesn’t get it off the field, and his potential hasn’t really translated to success. His $5 million salary this year won’t hurt their cap and if so inclined the Bucs could try and void Winston’s contract for personal conduct issues (not sure of success).

All indications are that Darnold will probably start this year. McCown is an able back up and I am speculating here, but the QB coaching position was not filled bc they want him to be a player/coach this year and fill that spot next year. They can bring in another arm as an emergency third, but they are not all that concerned bc this isn’t a Super Bowl or bust situation. Bridgewater will not be a Jet next year so get some value for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.