Mehta: Sam Darnold sure looks like the savior...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

That is a great picture. Of both Darnold AND of Bowles. It makes me chuckle because Darnold looks happy, and Bowles looks haaaaaa ppppy. If we could see his thought bubble it would probably say something like "**** yeah... I'm gonna keep my job for awhile now!"

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just to be specific:

“I will not overreact, I will not overreact, I will not overreact, I will not –
    HOLY SMOKES! SAM DARNOLD IS RIDICULOUS.”

This is not journalism. This is drivel.

Brook! and Kris 15 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've never read anything from Mehta that enlightened me, and more often than not I completely disagree with him. He's a waste of bandwidth.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

First preseason game, folks. Deep breath everyone

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Interesting that Sam says he finds it easier to see the whole field in the NFL as opposed to college because the hash marks are closer.

Still can't believe we got this guy.

jetfan2k3 likes this.
  6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Manish still garbage

Report facts only please. Your newfound homer mentality is only for clicks anyway. You don’t think it’s obvious? I know you read these forums.

What ever happened to journalism? (Not getting political)

My 2 memories of journalism class were to report facts and never ask yes or no questions.

NY Jets68, Brook! and GQMartin like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've never been a big fan of paid N.Y beat writers. Because I rather read and discuss football with die hard passionate fans. Which is why I love TGG.

But I disagree with your assessment. It's hard for any football fan or writers alike, to not be gushing over the thought of San Darnold.

Many of these sports writers, not just NYJ pundit writers were gushing over Sam Darnold as he threw for over 500 yards against Saquon Barkley's PSU team during the Rose Bowl months before he ever became a Jet. Just as sports writers around the Country did with Andrew Luck.

You can blame and attack or question these hacks for just about anything Jets related. But not when it comes to the thought of Sam Darnold you can't; because it's mentally impossible not to change your writing style for this kid.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I also liked the play at :25. The snap was high, which made him lose a nanosecond to make sure he didn't lose the ball, he saw nothing downfield immediately, saw an opening, made a run for it, took a good, safe slide, and still managed to turn zero into something. Someone slap me so I'm sure I'm awake. As so many others have opined, the OL has me terrified, but I try not to let my mind go you know where.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Fans dont, I didnt, think about what beat guys would like to see. Saw an interview with a local guy and he was talking about how the beat guys DO like players on a team, DO get to appreciate a team and want more than anything to get the opportunity to cover a team that is on the rise or doing well. How much their job sucks when they're covering a team that cant win. Dont think i ever thought of it that way.

If Mehta was only doing this for clicks he would have done it years ago. Because I've yet to read where people arent opening optimistic articles so his click count will suffer. I sure as shit read many posts saying just that when he was killing certain players or criticizing the Jets.

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I hate the knee jerk overreaction to 1 preseason game.

Savior?

Darnold was a top pick, who had a pretty excellent career at college and has the tools and size. but i mean, savior? he has thrown 0 regular season NFL passers. he hasnt been hit. he hasnt seen exotic coverages. he hasnt been scouted and adjuted to. he hasnt faced adversity. he hasnt played in tough weather. he hasnt playe din big spots

awful click bait article

11. LF911SC

Fine and what about what he's done in OTAs, camp and the one preseason game says that he can't handle the situations you listed? That he's played really well, has handled everything up to now?

I don't get how some can understand why fans and others are encouraged after a slew of encouraging signs. And more so want to tell them to tone it down, not report all the really good things we've all seen or read about

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

"up to now" is a few days in camp after contract negotiations and 2 quarters of a preseason game. im sorry, but you really get very little if anything from that. in addition to it being an incredible small sample, its in low leverage situations vs. backups and guys who may not even stick with NFL rosters in a game coaches are more concerned about looking at individual players then they are winning he game.
    Who is saying that? of course be excited, any top 5 pick should be someone to be excited about.

of course be encouraged, he looked good.

but thats not what we are talking about here... fans being encouraged. we are taking about journalists saying the guys is savior and carrying on and on like he just beat the pats in the playoffs or something. all im saying is lets see the guy do this sort of thing when the games matter.

i liked what i saw from darnold, especially the mobility. but we know little now that we didnt know before.

save the savior talk for when we are in the playoffs

HomeoftheJets and Wahoo like this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think the general tone around here I'm picking up is collective optimism.

But is it not reasonable to get that, for some, they need to see a body of work before ordaining him?

The jury is still out for me with Watson -- even though everyone has him in the HoF. I'm sure he will work out to be a great pro but I need to see more games before I can be a believer. Griffin III is a great example. Great first season and then what?

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Something tells me he doesn't want to stick to the downs of a rookie QB because he's trying to save his own rear end

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

If Manish identifies as Hindu there are many deities, gods and goddesses. What an unbearable article.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hype train has left the station. Hope it doesn’t derail after the first pick.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.
  18. LF911SC

So your guess work or crystal ball or the it could go downhill theory trumps all he's done in the months of camp, practices and the game he's played. Ok

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am cautiously optimistic, but something tells me this guy is gonna be great.

Brook! likes this.
  20. LF911SC

No. But it's reasonable to say it's really good up to now, stop being a typical Jet fan waiting for it all to go to shit, lol