Preseason QB Play Time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 3, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Totally agree. As much as Im not opposed to trading him if the right offer comes in, I wouldnt complain for one second if we have him as a safety net on the team. Really wish he doesnt get interest and was willing to stay here but given how hard it is to find an available, mid 20s rising player at QB hes a goner.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So, that should have been the last we see if mccown barring injury ,right?
    Either teddy or Sam will start the season. If it’s teddy Sam is the backup and if it’s Sam teddy is traded. Either way mccown is not the starting qb of the nyj and that’s a step
    In the right direction

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion.
    McCown is currently the starter, and will stay that way until the coaches feel Darnold is ready.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Darnold starting that stretch of games in 10 days, and would rather McCown handle that.
    After that I'd put Darnold in provided he's ready (and it's looking positive on that front).

Bridgewater should be traded.

LF911SC likes this.
  4. FJF

Not sure mccown plays any better than teddy or Sam showed Friday night. I might be a bit ahead of myself put if the 2 play as well as they did throughout the preseason that’s the way it should go.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. I think theres pros & cons to Darnold playing 3x in 10 days.While it be a challenge for him to prepare as well as could affect his confidence down the line..it would also be a great learning experience for him.Darnold seems to be the type who really learns & blossoms from exposure.Preparing & playing against 3 different defenses in that short time frame would really give him a leg up mentally in terms if what to expect for the remaining 13 games.

Lets also bare in mind that it will be hard for the opposing teams in those first 3 games to gather enough film & effectively gameplan against Darnold which will give him an advantage.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

also teddy is only being traded if Sam or josh win the starting job. I don’t see the team trading the best qb in the roster.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I was pretty sure that Sam's play in preseason game 1 had quelled that line of thinking.

Not that it isn't still a concern...but if Darnold continues to play well, there's something to be said about throwing him into the fire and see how he handles it.

Frankly, I'm more worried that our O-line shits the bed.

8. BacktoQueens

I loved what I saw from Darnold in that game.
    He's gonna be out there starting sooner than later.

Learning, digesting and preparing for 3 distinct game plans in 10 days is a lot to ask of a veteran though.
    I don't like him starting that way. Once you put Darnold out there, you cannot bench him if he struggles, so I may prefer to err on the side of caution (unless of course the rest of preseason looks great).

The O-line I agree is a concern regardless of who we start.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

lol how exactly is Teddy the best QB on the roster?
    He hasn't played in two years, and is essentially starting all over and in a new offense.

McCown is a better player right now, and Darnold is the future.
    Bridgewater is expendable imo. Play him a lot in all of the preseason games, and maybe we can move him for some value.

*EDIT nevermind I understand your post now. you are suggesting IF teddy wins the QB battle you shouldn't trade him, and I agree with that..

FJF likes this.
  10. FJF

Did you not read the first sentence? I specifically stated teddy is not getting traded unless Sam or josh win the starting job. As in, playing better than teddy. Not a sure thing after seeing teddy play Friday.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If it works out that way, then I agree. If McCown starts - barring injury to Sam and Teddy - Bowles should be fired immediately.

12. ColoradoContrails

There's no rule that says you can't bench him if he struggles. In fact, that's what I would expect to happen if he does. Frankly though, if he doesn't get hurt, he's the starting QB from here on out.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're gonna fire the head coach at the start of the season?

That is such a bad idea on so many levels.

FJF and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Right. Jared Goff was benched his rookie year and looked what happened to him. Nevertheless, I don't expect that to happen to Darnold because if I remember correctly, Goff struggled in preseason as well. Darnold.....impressive in preseason.....so far.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

What if McCown wins the competition, and looks like the best QB coming out of preseason?

16. ColoradoContrails

At the start of his FOURTH season...which, if he starts McCown is enough for me to say done.

17. ColoradoContrails

If that actually happens then Darnold isn't as good as he looked on Friday, which I seriously doubt. If it's close, I would start Darnold - he's the future, while McCown is insurance at best.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

TB I highly doubt wants to or would be satisfied being Darnold's backup. TB is a one year rental so lets just stop wishing for the impossible. If Teddy continues to play at a high level, I would be shocked if Macc doesn't flip him for a 2nd. rd. pick.

19. ColoradoContrails

I think that's been Macc's plan (best case) all along since he got him.Getting back the 2nd next year would make him look like he had a crystal ball.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This Washington game will be pivotal for Sam.

If he can replicate his last performance, I think he starts the Giants game. If he can do it again, I think he’s declared starter and doesn’t play v. Philly.