Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think the real problems are

1. The Raiders are not trading Khalil Freaking Mack, not until they are absolutely forced to and that won’t be for another couple years.

2. Even if the insane possibility did exist that he was available it would start at a 1st rd pick and who knows where it would end, probably a shit ton more than that.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The choice isn't Mack or a first rounder. It's a 27 year old Mack costing 20+ million a year or a 22ish year old first rounder under team control for five cheap years, plus additional picks we'd have to give up, plus the FAs we could have spent the 20+ million a year on. And God forbid if Mack gets hurt, drops off, or doesn't want to be here. Best case scenario is he helps us as much as Von helped the Broncos last year, which wasn't much considering they finished worse than we did. Unless you think they would've been Cleveland bad without him, which I don't.

mrjet80 likes this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

But it's also a risk of using the pick(s) on an unknown, without any guarantees vs. a sure thing. Anyone can get hurt, Mack isn't any more of a risk given his injury history than a draft pick. As for the Von comparison, he was a big part of why the Broncos D was the 3rd best in the NFL. Who knows how many games they would have won with a leaky D?

It's a tough call but what are we hoping to get with next years 1st? Someone as good as Mack?

TonyFtLaud and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It isn't just the pick though. I think we'll have to give up more than a first rounder. Plus we'll lose out on the opportunity to sign free agents we could have otherwise. Yes, we'll still have a ton of money next offseason, but with Mack's contract on the books, our cap will be much less pretty in a couple years from now, which is when our window really begins. So by choosing Mack we're putting all your eggs in one basket. Which means if he gets hurt or disappoints we're screwed.

I doubt we'll get someone as good as Mack with our pick. But IMO the combined value of the pick and everything else we'll get instead will help us more than Mack in the long run, i.e. in a couple years when the Pats are done and we're trying to win the SB.

Denver won 5 games last year even though Von was terrific. If they spent the money on other defensive free agents, I don't think their record would've been much worse. An elite QB is a priceless game changer, I don't think an elite pass rusher is.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Depends on what the price is.. Mack might well become the best LB we've had but at what price? Is he worth our 1st round picks for several years? Take this year as an example. Would you rather have had Mack or Darnold? We get Mack for our 1st and poof, No Darnold, no FQB. How do you even know you can lock Mack up with a long term, cap friendly deal or do we blow up our cap just so we can have our edge rusher? If OAK can't afford him, what makes you think the Jets can with all our other needs? Our cap number doesn't say unlimited and we do have other needs to fill. If we can possibly get Mack via FA, fine. Mortgaging the future for him? I have my doubts.. Then again, its not like Teams haven't mortgaged their future for a single player before.

Sam Hammer and mrjet80 like this.
  6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

On the rare occasion that a player makes it clear he's not playing for the team he is contracted for, his trade value goes down. Carson Palmer & Brett Favre come to mind. I'm not saying that's what going to happen, just that if he does refuse to play for the Raiders - the price probably won't be as high as you think. It will come down to a bidding war of teams that need an edge rusher and have the cap space to pay him.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I don't see the Jets trading for him.....it wouldn't go along with the team's philosophy over the past 2-3 years. Mac is slowly building a competitive roster and will have a lot of cap space for next year. He isn't going to break the bank for one player...and let's not forget Mack is 27 years old... there's a huge difference between say 25 and 27 in the NFL. The Jets would be getting most likely only 3 solid years out of him.....in the 2019 draft they can get a younger cheaper EDGE - maybe not quite as talented but then again you never know maybe he would turn out to be as good or even better.

I like the position the Jets are in right now assuming Darnold is the real deal. By as early as next year I can see this team taking off......without Mack. I say NO.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ok. Thnx and I don't know guess I just had mistakingly missed it (struck out) nonetheless thnx for the find & quote of @TonyFtLaud.

So over 80M+ in available cap space, even after Mack's next mega deal?

Good Lord.

That's literally enough to make a run for Le'Veon Bell.

And still have insane cap space (even) after the additions of both of Khalil Mack & Le'Veon Bell in order to sign our home-grown players long term? Nuts.

Just imagine these 9 faces as the faces of the freaking N.Y Football Jets.

Sam Darnold.
    Le'Veon Bell.
    Robby Anderson.
    Khalil Mack.
    Leonard Williams.
    Jamal Adams.
    Trumaine Johnson.
    Marcus Maye.
    Darron Lee.

Good God.

You give that core group a good 3-5 year run and you might just see N.Y make multiple trips to the Super Bowl.

Sam Darnold becomes the truth and that offensive trio of Sam Darnold/Le'Veon Bell/Robby Anderson then becomes an NFL offensive juggernaut with the sickest Jets Defensee (ever) behind them while being led by Mack behind a Franchise caliber signal caller.

✓ Khalil Mack, Le'Veon Bell and Trumaine Johnson (our 3 Non-Drafted stars).

°With...

✓ Sam Darnold, Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Robby Anderson, Marcus Maye and Darron Lee (All Drafted).

Why not? I'm ready.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Only a fool would do that :rolleyes:

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I'll tell you why not....... $$$
    Bell- 17m
    Johnson-15m
    Mack-19m
    Williams-20m
    Adams-15m
    May-11m
    Anderson-13m
    Darnold-35m
    Albeit some future contracts are debatable not to mention costs of a few NEEDED OL FREE AGENTS
    I think take out Bell & Mack. To rich for my blood. Draft a stud edge rusher with #1 Draft pick next year &
    Hope we can grow a RB through the draft.
    Mack & Bell gives you about a 3 to 4 year window of opportunity where drafting edge rusher & RB gives you a 7 to 8 year window at a lower cost.

#130 BudJet, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm very confused by this post. What are those numbers? Per year? If so there are a lot of unrealistic situations there and you're listing some people that wouldn't have those cap numbers for another 4/5 years.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I'd be very surprised if he or any player walked away from $17 million, but if things got that bad between Gruden and he, and he didn't want to be chained to the Gruden and the Raiders for another year or so, I guess it's possible.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well of course it depends how much but theres people here saying thy wouldnt give up a first. craziness! Aand we already have DARNOLD!. Once you have ( hopefully) your QB on the roster than you can certainly afford to trade a number 1 for an absolute proven stud game-changer playing a top 3 position ( QB and Left tackle)

As fas as affording him, we have the most space in the league- thats why we can afford him and the Raiders cannot.

Name me 1 first round pick in the last 20 years you wouldnt have switched out for Mack. ( other than FQB)

14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The person I quoted was thinking of the future of the team in the next few years with all these players and I basicly looked at the cap with these players in the long term and if it's logical or not. Obviously the cap hits are up for debait. Could it be a quick fix yes, but I don't believe it benefits the team long term

15. jonnyd

ahh in teh poll....but since i quoted your post and olded parts, teh poll obviously wasnt what I was metioning. It is a very interesting topic, agreed

16. NCJetsfan

To begin with, the Jets (or any team for that matter) would only trade for him on the condition that they can sign him to a long-term deal. If it would be only a one-year rental, no team would probably give over a 3rd round pick for him, unless a couple of playoff teams both had needs at edge rusher.

It's hard to say how his contract would affect the salary cap or how much cap space we'd still have because no one knows what the new contract would be. He might get paid the $17 million this year, but might get less for more guaranteed money and a long-term deal. I don't think any of us are capable of giving you an answer because we don't have a crystal ball.

17. jonnyd

Darron Lee is off the table if youre the GM of the Jets before anyone even makes an offer?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I already submitted my offer in this thread.

I think you draft, develop specific players to do specific things and Lee with time, can bring a lot to the table in this era of football. They are the core of the football team, and I would rather not trade Lee.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's a good skimming of the surface but some of that isn't realistic.

Adams and Maye aren't due for new contracts until 2021... so there's a strong possibility Trumaine Johnson may not even be under contract by then and Adams would have to be a top 3 safety in the league to make that kind of money. Maye would have to be top 10. Same thing with Darnold... it will be 2022 before he's making big money. Would Bell even sign anything more than a "3 year" deal (think Trumaine Johnson)? Probably not. Also if we give Anderson $13 mil, Macc should be fired.

I get what you're doing, but I don't think it's that cut and dry.

20. NCJetsfan

I think Middleton would help their secondary, and I could see Gruden having some interest in him.

Why would Oakland want Powell? For that matter, why would we trade him? He's probably our starting RB. Who knows what kind of shape McGuire will be in once he returns. Cannon is a raw rookie. That would leave us a lot weaker at the RB position. Yes, Powell's a very good back, but they already have two older RBs who are very good when healthy. Powell has had some issues with getting banged up.

Lee has improved and still has potential, but I'd trade them Lee for Mack in a NY minute.