Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

In the immortal backtracking words of someone. I wouldn't lol.

Brook! likes this.
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I will throw my thinking into this thread.

First thing, you will NOT draft a better edge rusher with your first round pick next year than Mack.

It is a dire need.

The money isn’t an issue. We have tons of cap space and can front load the deal.

I would offer the raiders the first round pick plus a player or two. The players wouldn’t be Trenton Cannon level nor would they be Leo Williams.

If you can answer your Qb problem AND your edge rusher all in the same calendar year...I think you pull that trigger.

FJF and cgrec like this.
  3. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

You obviously don't know what you're are talking about than. Just because you don't know some of other team players( can't just look at a depth chart) , and assume Jets have so much quality depth + better talent - doesn't make it true.

Let play a game give me the positions you think the Jets are better than the Raiders.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If the Raiders make Mack availble due to failed contract talks, it will be a buyer’s market.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This particular time frame is a bit bad for the Jets. Giving 1st away is well within reasons for a player of Mack's calibre, but if Jets part with 1st, they are left with 3rd round pick come spring and draft. And it's probably pretty high pick too. They would have to get some picks in return if they part with 1st.

Jets 1 next spring + 2 or 3 the year after for Mack and 2nd next year seems like a decent trade to me, and I would do that deal in my sleep.

#45 Zach, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I really don't see a package of 2nd and third sting players getting a deal done for one of the best pass rushers in the game.
    A team like Green Bay , with multiple first round picks is a much more likely trade partner.
    Mack will surely fetch a package of picks.

7. TonyFtLaud

We would still have over $80 million in cap space.

8. TonyFtLaud

And Bradford went for a first and 4th.
    Sheldon coming of 2 down years, tons of off field issues , no where near the level of player as Mack got a second and Kearse. Garropolo was an unproven back up and still garnered an offer for a first and second from Cleveland. No idea why they rejected that offer.
    Mack will definitely net Oakland a first round pick if traded

9. TonyFtLaud

He wants to exceed Von Miller's contract. So in excess of $19 million per season.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are we one edge rusher away from being a SB contender? If so, make the trade. If not, pass and buy one on the FA market.

HomeoftheJets and NYJFOREVER like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thinking like that and you will find yourself always waiting for the right time. Like the farmers say, you make hay when the suns out.
    You add premier players when they come available. Mac should be sending a phone call that way and gauging the situation

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. Yep.

And the team’s main remaining needs (1.Left tackle 2.Pass rusher 3.Explosive skilll) are all the types of positions where you have to pounce if its a need regardless of the timing.

If they could somehow land Mack or even Fowler while keeping their 1st rounderr it will remove the 2019 pre draft debate of “OL vs pass rusher” in round 1 as both positional groups appear very strong. Mack would check off a major major need & if the price is right it’d be foolish not to pounce

FJF likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well if they can't afford him and forcing an unhappy player to stay for two years can only cause harm to the squad in the end, they have an arse as coach who is not speaking to the guy already anyways by all accounts.

I doubt very much somebody would get him for a 1 only but the above are valid reasons why they might, maybe more likely next season.

I would love him but not sure I would love the 118m price tag it would cost, we have so many needs.

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

If he becomes available by Oakland could we get him? Absolutely. We have the space to pay him, plus have a huge need. The guy is a monster, and one of the best players in the NFL let alone at his position.

The question becomes what is the price. I can't see us being able to do it without giving up a 1st and other picks plus a player.

So is the question can we? Sure we can. And frankly, he would fill a gaping hole in our defense that has existed since John Abraham.

In fact, we'd be able to sign him, and still have plenty of cap space in 2019 to go after Lev Bell and offensive line upgrades.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

At first thougth I was against this, but the more I think about it, the more I'm for trading next years 1st for mack. I'm sure it would take more, but he is an elite player and a better gamble than whatever pick we get next year. It would be nice if Bridgewater were any interest to them as we would be able to sweeten the pot with him, but I don't see the Raiders needing him and I'm not ready to give up all our picks next year either.

Next year's free agency would then become keeping our players that show anything this year and building an offensive line.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m keeping an eye on the jags qb situation. Teddy for Fowler just seems perfect for everyone

KurtTheJetsFan and stinkyB like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm hoping that litter is cats and your kid doesnt shovel snow....?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Raiders are so stupid. Mack is a truly dominant pass rusher in his prime. Gruden seemingly doesn’t care????

Hell yeah id trade for Mack. I’d give next years first or pretty much any player they want outside of Darnold. He’s worth it

FJF likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

They can easily afford him , $45 million plus in cap space next year and over $114 million in 2020.
    He's on his 5th year option so it's only 1 year, unless they franchise him.
    I'm sure he will show up once game checks are on the line.

20. Weve seen this movie before though. New coach w big ego comes in..seems lukewarm on impact player in contract dispute despite plenty of funds & an otherwise talent scarce roster..now he wont even acknowledge the player..do these deals ever tend to get done or is the silence a cryptic death?

Maybe itll be different this time but these disputes rarely end w a new contract & mended walls.More likely than not Gruden doesnt like him and/or wants the ammo/cap space from a trade to bring in his guys.