Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When you trade a player, when do you ever get equal or more value? Usually never. Also, I was thinking first, 2 players and maybe a 4th rounder in 2020.

Gruden talking down on Mack, maybe the Jets could make a trade for him.

2. 101GangGreen101

K.C. traded the No. 27 overall pick, a third-round pick and their 2018 first-round selection to the Buffalo Bills to move up to No. 10 to select Mahomes.

By the draft board projection, the Jets would have a higher pick hence higher value. Then add on players. 2 late firsts to move up to 10 for the Chiefs. Value says Jets pick is better.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Trading draft picks for draft picks is different than trading draft picks for a player.

Teams don't pay steep draft prices for veterans who have to be paid a kings ransom on top of the draft picks......especially if they aren't a QB.

I agree that he'll likely stay in Oak, as they aren't going to get a ridiculous haul for him.

FJF and JetsNation06 like this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It would need to be a few quality starters in terms of the players involved in the deal as well as the draft picks. Sure the Jets would have an outside shot but it seems unlikely. And I agree the Gruden factor can't be underestimated.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't want him. We'll have to give up at least a first rounder and then give him a huge contract that will wipe out the value he provides us. Plus he's a mercenary, and we don't need that. If we were Super Bowl contenders and Mack would put us over the top, that would be different. But we're nowhere near, so signing him now, after the Revis and Mo debacles, would be quintessential same old Jets.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

It's highly unlikely. If you are Mac you are still picking up the phone and asking.

BacktoQueens and JetsNation06 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have our next year's #1 at the top of the list!!!! I didn't give my opinion of what I'd trade. I was asking for others' opinions, but thanks for your snarky answer.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Comeon you really think the Raiders would have any interest in any of those players. If the Jets Mac offered the Raiders that variety of package they would laugh you off the phone, not to mention hang up.( stop thinking other teams GM's are morons - Jets best chance is to draft their own pass rusher next year.( keep their draft picks).

I hope the Jets pay attention to who the Raiders cut on their offense line. ( they are going to cut someone on the offense line that can definitely upgrade the Jets Offenseline this year.

The Jets finally seem to have their franchise Qb, they aren't ready to compete . Going to take a couple more drafts before this team is serious contenders. That's okay .

9. NCJetsfan

It could, but if he's a protracted hold out and not budging, Oakland might decide to trade him rather than have him sit out this year and then walk next year and they get nothing in return. I think the price would depend on how many other clubs entered the competition and what they were willing to give for him.

It would definitely be expensive.
    Mack's value is on the playing field, not in what you get him for, so to say that giving him a huge contract would wipe out the value he provides us is just flat out silly imo.

So you know for a fact that he's mercenary? I know nothing about his contract situation, what Oakland has offered and what he wants. Do you? What he's asking for might be entirely reasonable, but then again it may not. I'm not gonna judge him until I have more facts. I'm not saying whether I'd trade for him or not. I'm just curious what others' responses are. Thanks for your response.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Nope. Not that he's old but he will be 28 next February, he'll cost a huge signing bonus, a hefty long-term extention not to mention draft picks (many of which Macc already traded to move up to #3 for Darnold plus the big payout to CB Trumiane Johnson).

In addition, this upcoming draft is loaded with defensive talent including QB killers in Henry, Bosa, Ferrell, Sweat, Gary, etc. Would rather go young and cheap together (while locking up their own young, e.g. Leo Williams). Love Mack but not quite worth the steep price in the long run imho.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

A first and my first born. Or pick of the litter, I don’t care. Get it done mac

12. FJF

We would be a super bowl contender if mac is right about Sam and we added Mack. 2020 we would be prime.

13. NCJetsfan

Did you pay any attention to the stiffs that are on Oakland's roster? Methinks not. You were too busy trying to be snarky and rude. I think Oakland may have less talent than the Jets do now. I have no idea (and don't think any other Jets fan does, either, as to what Gruden thinks about some of the players on his roster and what he may think about some of the Jets' young players. They could take 4-5 of those young players and a pick or two and quite possibly not only create cap space, but upgrade the talent level at several positions on their team. There might be other Jets players that Gruden might want. I just threw some names out of players at positions of Oakland need whom I thought the Jets might be willing to trade. The Jets wouldn't trade Adams or Maye. They might would trade Lee or Williamson.

I also didn't say that the Jets should trade for Mack.

I love it how some of you guys never create any content of your own, you just sit back and make rude, snarky comments about others' posts and threads, but thanks for your response (I think LOL).

14. NCJetsfan

Thanks for your response. Interesting. I'm not sure that the Jets would trade Powell, especially with McGuire injured and Rawls looking so bad in TC, but they could to get a pass rusher of the caliber of Mack.

I think you're right about sending an edge rusher back, and it would probably have to be one of those two rather than Mauldin, Bass, or Donohue.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing at first (with visions of Mo Lewis - Drew Bledsoe 2.0 dancing in my head) but I also think the Jets are more than just Sam Darnold and Khalil Mack away from VLT contention.

This roster still calls for a significant, across-the-board OL upgrade (read: keeping Darnold off the DL + a complimentary running attack) as well as a true offensive HR threat (Robbie Anderson's not in the Antonio Brown, Todd Gurley, LeVon Bell, Julio Jones class). jmho.

#35 joe, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  16. FJF

In this nfl. Get a qb and someone to get to the qb however and whenever possible. They will hide a lot of warts.

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

If they could get away with 2020 2nd and 3rd round picks, you have to pull the trigger, but I don't think the Raiders would accept that.

The Jets should not give up next year's 1st, it's too critical. Mack would be a huge upgrade and instantly make this defense elite, but taking on a huge salary and giving up next years 1st and 3rd (likely the minimum), is not worth it on a rebuilding team. That's no picks in the first 3 rounds next year when they need them most. I don't want another Jets team that's built completely on defense and limits spending on offense like the 2010 team which was good, but all the talent on offense vanished after a few years because they spent a huge portion of the cap on D, I'd rather add elite pieces on offense to surround Darnold with talent and take our chances with the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of edge rusher, but I think the Jets would be better off drafting one than giving up multiple picks and Mack is going to command a record level contract.

#37 Sam Hammer, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Not the right time to make a splashy move for Khalil Mack. Stick to the plan. Develop Darnold and continue to acquire young/controllable talent in the draft while supplementing with free agency.

joe likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I understand building thru the draft but it's hard not to imagine a defense featuring the likes of.

DE/DT/D-Line: Leonard Williams.
    IMLB: Darron Lee.
    OLB: Khalil Mack.
    CB#1: Trumaine Williams.
    FS: Marcus Maye.
    SS: Jamal Adams.

That's sick.

With a potential Franchise QB in Sam Darnold to continue building your offense around?

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I go back to the Parcells reasoning when he stole Curtis Martin from patriots. YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A PLAYER OF HIS CALIBER WITH YOUR #1 PICK SO MAKE THE TRADE AND CONSIDER HIM YOUR #1 DRAFT PICK. He would transform this defense from high teens to top ten easy. You can bet Williams will make pro bowl with him on the team. If Mac pulls this off it would be a Macmiracle.

Ps. We have a good chance because our #1 pick is projected to be a high pick with the more value than most teams.

#40 BudJet, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018