Adam Schefter Just Said He Expects Darnold to be the Opening Day QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Aug 6, 2018.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Or what about when our coaching staff had to bring out the "Red-Light/Green-Light signals" during practices? Because as a rookie Sanchez could not stop turning the ball over.

Who could forget those days. Sad now thinking back. If only Rex had a QB to lead his defense. Damnit Mark.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I could care less.

Ralebird, jonnyd and FJF like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It would be similar to what Russel Wilson did in Seattle. He simply beat out the veterans and did a good job of transitioning into a very good QB. Granted he had a running game to help him develope.

I agree that if Darnold outplays the veterans then he should start.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Name rookie QBs that started the season playing 3 games in 11 days? Don't be ridiculous. LT ain't 100%, there are plenty of concerns in terms of that.

5. 101GangGreen101

I don’t think a rookie QB should endure 3 games in such a short span. VERY limited practice time, it won't be easy. Jets would learn a lot about Darnold, but at the same time I find it to be risky. Preparation takes time and 3 games in 11 days is challenging I am sure for a veteran.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I agree with this concern. Listen, I understand the “if he’s better than the other 2 then play him!” argument, I really do. I see the merits of playing right away if they truly think he’s ready. However, there are definitely two sides to the coin. Not only will HE be overwhelmed with 3 games in 11 days but so will the rest of the team, most specifically the offensive line. And I’m worried about starting his career off behind a shotty o-line that is exhausted. I’m worried even putting him behind this O-line AT ALL.

He clearly is a confident kid and has work ethic and all, but that can all change with a couple of blowout losses with multiple bad sacks and fumbles. I don’t think this TEAM is ready to be great yet this year, thus I don’t find it important enough to rush him in to start from day 1. If he is showing incredible progress in practice during midseason and the team is kind of on autopilot by then (and around 500) then i can see bringing him in to try to spark the season at that point.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, when looking back on that era the only thing preventing the Jets from getting to the SB was the lack of any vision on offense or even how to develop one. Our defense was good enough to win games but our offense wasn't good enough to get us to the SB. If only Rex had some feel for offense.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Our passing game wasn't good enough. We had a dominant o-line and running game.

HomeoftheJets, Cman68 and JetBlue like this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Rex and Tanny’s desire to be liked. If they would have told Favre that he was either going to play for the Jets or spend his year riding his ATV, the ‘09 season could have been much different.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

x10

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Man, how the history of the NFL could have been altered. Rookie HC Rex Ryan & unretired Favre lead the Jets to back to back superbowl victories while Sanchez learns on the bench. A statue of Rex Ryan gets erected in Times Square. Mark Sanchez gets indicted by Mueller for doing blow off the asses of underage Russian hookers in Trump Tower.

Rex & Tanny would probably still be running the show.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. jetophile

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ stuff that fickle fuck into the nearest locker..

Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. jetophile

Ha, I was gonna say no wonder Richard Todd tried to choke him out. The fact that Marty Lyons ignored it is hilarious to me.

joe likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He's ready to be an NFL quarterback, or he's not - it's really pretty simple. Some here would have us believe there exists a secret cadre deep within the league that does whatever it can to make things tougher for the Jets than any other team.

16. 101GangGreen101

He might be ready, but 3 games in 11 days with potentially the LT being out is an issue.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

oh shut up......

[​IMG]

K'OB, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. Like I said, the Lions and Dolphins games really are not an issue. The problem would be 3 days rest to go on the road to play Cleveland. The alternative thought to that would be he would get 3 games under his belt, review the tape and continue to learn, then have 10 days to prepare for potentially the best Defense in the NFL in the Jaguars.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Looks like Manish is joining Schefter

The Jets really are setting up a PR disaster if Darnold shits the bed in the preseason. Hopefully he doesn’t...

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In fairness to the Jets(assuming Manish's sources are true), they believe he will be the week 1 starter. They haven't declared him to be the week 1 starter.