Sam Darnold, Jamal Adams & Leonard Williams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jul 30, 2018.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

As of right now. Imo. These are the "3 faces" of our current Franchise.

Which look to be great building blocks moving forward; as were Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Darrelle Revis & David Harris (all drafted within 2006/2007) as our 'fantastic 4'.

Those 4 players mentioned above, unfortunately, were a Franchise QB away from sustained success and possibly a SB title.

The book is still open in regards to Sam Darnold due to being a rookie without playing experience just yet. But it's hard not to dream about our future after drafting "our guy".

With that said we now have a great opportunity to build around our QB position behind a boat load of salary cap space.

I'd love an outside pass rushing dominant OLB.

I'd love a manhandling Center.

An explosive X-Factor HB.

Etc, etc.

But i feel as if a Franchise LT is what's needed most moving forward in order to protect our 5 star blue chip QB prospect while giving this kid as much opportunity as possible to reach Franchise QB status.

Leonard Williams.
    Darron Lee.
    Jamal Adams.
    Sam Darnold.

Those have been Macc's four 1st rounder's thus far. 2018 has yet to begin & I'm already looking for next year's 1st rounder.

A Franchise LT is a must come 2019's 1st round, even if we're forced to trade up again.

It'll be well worth a trade up if it means adding a Franchise LT alongside the likes of Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams and Sam Darnold as the faces of our Franchise moving forward.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Should be interesting to see if any top OL or pass rushers become FA's next offseason. Teams usually don't let these guys walk, but you never know. Ideally, we sign a Jake Matthews in free agency and grab Bosa in the draft. Maybe we can lure Martin away from Dallas too. :D

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Impressed by how small Lee is in person.

dmw likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets need a lot of things but depending on the FA results next spring I'd say EDGE/OLB would probably be Mac's preferable first round choice. If it were a Bosa type it would just about round out the major defensive needs and franchise pass rushers are slightly harder to come by in FA. My gut tells me a big chunk of the FA money will be geared toward the offense - OL and a skill player or two...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yea. Bosa would be a luxury that we haven't seen since dating back to J.Abe, I just feel as if a Franchise LT is a no brainier must after the trade up for Sam.

And speaking of Dallas. They're a perfect example. I believe they have three 1st rounders on their offensive line in Tyron Smith (2011), Travis Frederick (2013) and Zack Martin (2014).

But that's only because they've had a Franchise caliber QB to build around in Tony Romo throughout those years.

Which is why I could never understand NYJ fans harping over Macc for "avoiding" our O-Line. If Dallas were stuck with QB's such as Geno Smith, an aging Michael Vick, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown etc etc I can guarantee you that Dallas wouldn't of had the luxury to go O-Line 3 out of 4 years with their 1st round picks throughout 2011-2014. Which also allowed them the freedom and luxury of drafting a HB in Zeke top 5 overall (2016).

Now that Sam Darnold is a Jet. Macc will focus on our offensive line. There's no doubt about it. Macc will now focus on our offensive line but he never had the freedom to do so; until we landed Sam Darnold. Now? He will.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

As far as OLB's go, I wonder if the Texans will be able to afford Jadeveon Clowney?

In regards to spending a chunk of cap space on an offensive playmaker?

Le'veon Bell is the offensive X-Factor that I want most. And one who could take both Darnold and our offense to the next level. He'll only be 27 come next offseason, still in his prime while being the NFL's most versatile back.

And Vegas does have our Jets as the #1 favorite to land Bell too.

°Darnold as a potential FQB.
    °Bell as a dynamic weapon.
    °Robby Anderson as a deep threat.

That's a sexy offensive trio of QB/HB/WR right there.

Throw in a drafted 1st round Franchise LT and suddenly, out of nowhere; the Jets would have one of the league's most feared offensive attacks for the first time in like, forever.

Brook! likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've always considered RB a position you draft and get the most productive years out of the player. As good as Bell is, he might command too much $$$. The OL and pass rush are bigger priorities IMO.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm with you. But if Sam Darnold becomes who we think he'll become and/or who we think he is? Then a Franchise QB in Darnold and an instant impact RB in Bell could re-vamp our offense over night. If he's available and open to becoming a Jet? It's a must sign with our cap space.

We need Darnold to become our 1st Franchise QB since Namath. A Franchise LT combined with a 27 y.o Bell and our offense will be ready to break out for the next 3-4 year's.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Due to Darnold’s mobility, I’m not sure LT is a higher priority than EDGE.

I know some will vehemenly disagree.

10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I'd rather get a RB who gets fewer yards by seasons end but doesnt break the bank and is coming off of years of overuse heading into the down side of his career. Who is here for the payday and nothing more

Donttasemebro likes this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I have to be one who disagrees.

Regardless of mobility ability, nothing is more important than protecting your prized QB's blind side from attacking OLB's.

I'll never stop believing that Defense Wins Championships but after the drafting of Sam Darnold I have to put more stock into the drafting of a 1st round LT over a 1st round OLB.

We've drafted defense after defense dating back to after the drafting of Mark Sanchez. Now that Macc went offense with Darnold. Next year's 1st must be spent on offensive line.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Your points are absolutely fair and I am absolutely not against taking OL with the first round pick.

But that being said, the pocket formation isn’t going to manifest for Sam in the traditional sense. Also the new zone scheme should account for this and it shouldn’t have to fall on one player.

My thinking is that if the Jets are drafting top 5 (which I actually doubt personally) they really can’t pass on Bosa (assuming he performs this year).

Brook! likes this.
  13. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I like how you are thinking but i think it's more likely they part with Mercilus. They arent parting with Clowney, a former 1st overall who is younger and starting to play his best football

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I admire the enthusiasm Defense ...tbh I see big hopes in Sam Darnold

Show me the evidence how Darron Lee is not a bust!

Leonard Williams is either being played out of position poorly coached or just ain't all that on a Defense that declined badly

Adams is also an unproven commodity..looks great on paper but where was Mac shoring up a OL when he took Safeties back to back..not smart imo

tomdeb and boozer32 like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we better not waste our money on Bell. Steelers have been running him to the ground.

CotcheryFan and themorey like this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

To be fair Darron Lee has been far from a bust, still only 23 years of age and heading into his 3rd season.

He's combined for 167 tackles, 4.0 sacks and 2 forced fumbles throughout his 1st two season's of play.

Last year he improved upon his rookie season ala 94 total tackles, 3 sacks and 2 Forced Fumbles.

Which were better #'s than that of his rookie year (73 total tackles, 1 sack and 0 Forced Fumbles).

With that said...

If Darron Lee improves during his 3rd year this up coming season, when in comparison to that of his 2nd season last year?

As he did during his 2nd year last season when compared to his rookie season of the year before?

Then we'll have us a ball playing IMLB heading into his 4th season come next year.

But to label him a bust after showing improvement as a 2nd year player is harsh. Vernon Gholston was a bust. Lee on the other hand has already shown improvement. He has all the physical attributes to break out into a freak. Once he learns how to take better angles I believe we'll begin to see a playmaker out there .

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  17. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Only time will tell...

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Jesus Christ.

Dierking likes this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

That kid Jesus, he was the original x-factor.

20. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

We really have to hope that a few teams feel desperate enough to over reach for a Q/B in next years draft - pushing other players with more talent, further down the board

NCJetsfan likes this.