Revis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Haters gonna hate

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it amazes me how butt hurt fans are because a guy they lauded ended up wanting to get paid what he was worth. you know because none of us has ever asked for a raise or anything, or used leverage to create a more lucrative deal for ourselves. this is the part of football i hate, the judgement and involvement that fans just have to have outside of the game.

he was the best cornerback we have ever had in jetsland. he was probably one of the top 5 cornerbacks i can remember seeing play and he played his last number of years on a knee that had been severely damaged. while i wish he still tackled like he did his first 5 seasons i also can understand how a guy who gave everything he had and then asked for a raise got completely shit on by an entire fan base would say ahhh you know what fuck that mess.. as anyone who has had or been in contact with someone who has had microfracture surgery you would understand you are really never the same after it. it should be no surprise that revis post 2012 was not quite the same player he was pre 2012.

or you can continue to hate one of the best players this franchise has ever had. its up to you.

westiedog1, LF911SC and Aero like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

For me, it wasn't what he did...it was how he did it.

Then he topped it off by playing for our most hated rival in division.

Too bad that we've had so few premier players.
    Makes retiring #24 almost palatable...

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

As much as that SUCKED, the reality is that he was a free agent, and P*TS showed him a chunk of $$$

Idzik could've looked like a wiz, if he just parlayed an injured Revis to the BUCS as a one year rental in what was going to be a down year anyway for a 1st round pick..... but the reality with Revis is that he was never the same after his injuries. Some guys recover well, some do not... Father Time wins again, especially when his competitor had enough cash in the bank to not need to fight back

All Gas No Shake and Aero like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey...I get it.

It's a matter of perception. Fans perception in this case.

He should retire as a Patriot if it was all about the money.

6. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The Patriots aren't going to do that for a short-timer like him. The only team he played multiple years for was the Jets, so that sort of limited his options.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can't he retire as a Lone Wolf?

[​IMG]

FJF, Jets69 and Since1969 like this.
  8. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Better yet, he can retire with a jersey with no number or team logo, just this: "This space for sale or rent."

Jets69 likes this.
  9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

thats sour grapes, your obviously mad he went as a free agent to what has become most jets fans most hated rival, and won a super bowl.

that doesnt change what he was for the jets before they decided to get rid of him.

remember he was injured and traded. if I were him coming off needing to have microfracture surgery i would be looking to secure as much money as possible. you know because i have another 50 years of life ahead of me and the nfl doesnt give a half a bit of a shit once you arent making them money.

Aero likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

His 2nd stint as a Jet was embarrassing, but that's not on him ... that's on Woody Johnson and the GM for offering that contract in the first place.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

2016 was embarrassing, but his first year back, 2015, wasn't. Games against Hopkins and Watkins showed he lost a step, but expecting Revis to be at the same level as he was in 2009-2011 would have been wishful thinking, at best. In the latter's case, against Watkins in week 17, Bowles not adjusting the gameplan/coverage was always the more frustrating aspect.

His 2016 performance was unfortunate, but this team had so many problems that year that I can't bring myself to care that much. What does hold my attention, though, was an otherwise stellar career where he played at a HOF level for multiple years as a Jet. As a fan, holdouts and contract drama were frustrating along the way, but I can never blame a player for going after every penny that they're worth in a league where players are unceremoniously cut after major injuries.

Bottom line, I'm happy he's signing a one-day contract to retire a Jet.

All Gas No Shake and RPOZ51 like this.
  12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It pissed me off to see him say he wished he never left the Jets. His selfish ass had a choice in the matter, if he didn’t constantly demand top dollar they never woulda had to trade him

——

When Mangold and D’Brick retired they gave them the nice tributes, and it was well deserved. As a player, Revis was a great one but for what he meant to this franchise, he means less than those 2.

We had teams on the cusp of the Super Bowl. If Revis wasn’t so damn selfish every freakin year maybe we coulda signed someone else to maybe get over the hump. Mangold, D’Brick, those guys took paycuts for that reason.

FJF, MoWilkBeast and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I watched Revis' Press Conference and the best I can say is at least he isn't fake. He was his usual cold, anti-social, don't care about anyone but himself self. Barely mentioned the Jets or the fans. Maybe you need that type of attitude to be a shutdown corner, who knows? There is no denying his talent, but he is not a fan-favorite type of guy. Like I posted before, that is too bad, because he could have been one of the most loved players in franchise history.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Do you really blame him for wanting top dollar, when he was a top dollar player? If I was the best burger flipper in the world I'd want the biggest paycheck of any burger flipper, speaking honestly. Sure I'd feel some kind of loyalty to McDonalds but when a 5-star burger joint offers me the big bucks I'd definitely take it.

Happy he's retiring a Jet. He had his best years with us, had QBs around the league shook. This coming from a guy who gave away his Revis jersey to my Giant's fan brother.

All in all, not a big deal. Past is the past, gave us good and bad. Gave us his knee so I can't really complain.

16. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Anyone know what Revis's signing bonus was for his 1 day contract and if it counts against our cap space?

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

As a fellow man I can’t blame him, hell good for him for gaming the system and squeezing every last dollar out of the Jets

I’m just saying because of that he shouldn’t be honored as a great Jet like he was today. He wasn’t a team player. Thus the team shouldn’t honor him as one

And it just pissed me off that he said he wished he never left the Jets because it was a flat out lie.

FJF and Since1969 like this.
  18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

1/365th of $16 million (...always $16 million). Guaranteed for skill and arthritis.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Technically he didn't "Leave" the JETS.... Idzik traded him to Tampa, then when Tampa released him, Idzik didnt try to resign him, the PATS did.
    It still sucks but that's the facts

101GangGreen101 and alleycat9 like this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Darrelle Revis was one of the greatest DB's to play the game. As fans, we are fortunate that we got see his best years as a NY Jet. Prior to him, pundits were saying that there is no longer any such thing as a "shut down" corner. Offenses are too sophisticated, WR's and QB's too good to expect to take your opponents best receiver out of a game. The last shut down corner was Deion Sanders who retired in 2000. Then along came Revis and proved them wrong. For his career he only averaged about 3 interceptions a year. Nevertheless, we all know that QB's just stopped throwing to the receiver he covered. The telling stat for Revis is the amount of receptions by the man he covered. That number was close to zero in his prime.

Like RB, a CB has a limited lifespan in pro-football. The position requires speed and quickness which diminish substantially after 30. I don't hold it against Revis that he tried to maximize his pay in a multi-billion dollar industry. To expect players to put their team ahead of their own (and family's) welfare when people all around them (including owners) are clamoring for top dollar is unrealistic. I will leave it to his teammates to determine whether he was a team player or not, however, I suspect you would have a hard time finding any former teammate who would criticize Revis for his career moves.

I think the lesson of Revis is: that despite his greatness, the position of CB is not as important to overall team success as QB, WR, RB or DE. For this reason I don't think the money Revis was asking was worth it, and therefore, don't blame the Jets for letting him walk, and thought it was a bad move to give him a big contract to return. Conversely, if the Jets had a QB that rose to the level of greatness that Revis did for his position, I think the Jets would have celebrated at least one SB and maybe more during his playing span.