Mike Maccagnan Should Trade for Julio Jones

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GQMartin, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yeah but we also got a 2nd round pick that we used to take Mike Nugent.

So....

Yeah never mind.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good thread question, @GQMartin! Adding Julio Jones would obviously be great for a young QB like Darnold. Cap space really is not an issue either. Mac is building the team through the draft, with minimal big Free Agent moves so far besides Trumaine Johnson. I expect him to be more aggressive in 2019, but we will see. Obviously doubtful a move for Jones happens, but I think it is a reasonable idea.

GQMartin likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Leon was dynamic , brad smith was a home run hitter, Shawn geeene popped a bunch of long runs behind a good o line and looked like he could be a bell cow for a minute. 30 something Thomas Jones carried an offense to the playoffs. A good o line will create offensive weapons. Trading picks and cap space for a Julio Jones does nothing to cure what ails this team .

ConcordeChops likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

But they never won a SB with Randy Moss.

I’d rather spend early draft capital on OLine or pass rush.

Plenty of playmakers in later rounds.

And I love WRs.

FJF likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

They were extremely close in 2007 and probably win it if it weren't for the Eli escape from a sure sack and throw to Tyree. But, we arent quite where the Pats were in 2007 prior to trading for Moss.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Only counts in hand grenades and plutonium bombs.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i meant stacked in terms of how many we have. we don't have the luio type top 5 WR but i do feel anderson has that potential. what we do have is 4 WRs who are at worst good number 2 WRs and at best 3 of them are good number 1s. behind them is 2 mid round draft picks from last year as well and the 7th spot will likely be taken by a returner so there really isn't any room for julio on our team.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Hey, I'm not complaining that they lost. Just trying to be fair and objective.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well why would we want him and a guy who is effectively going on strike for more cash despite having nearly 3 years left on a deal he signed just 2 seasons back, isn't this why you sign contracts to at least honour it and renegotiate in the last year maybe 18 months or so, not before it is half way through, the club has every right to say sod off you have a long contract already.

I don't like this business of them holding out, fuck me he is on a massive wage already, sheer greed.

Bowles Movement likes this.
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

kind of a silly argument though isn't it? They had the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL. You won't find any reasonable person who would argue that Moss wasn't a big part of that.

Winning a championship is obviously the goal but surely the discussion is more nuanced than that.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know if this is directed at my post and I get where you're coming from, I just think it's bad timing. Obviously a big time WR would help Darnold tremendously but he's realistically not going to be ready to potentially lead a team to the promised land until 2020 earliest.

I'd feel much safer about his chances of ever realizing that potential if they put some better quality protection in front of him in the mean time.

12. FJF

There’s always room for a Julio Jones in the team. Just not at the price it would take to acquire him in our scenario.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Just the facts Ma’am, just the facts.

14. Leon & Smith were both part time players.Jones & Greene were productive but not dynamic.

Im referring to the team adding a legit #1 level skill that is a full time player,productive & a home run threat thats going to be here & still under 30 4 years down the road.

OL provides balance to an offense which yes can allow offensive weapons to flourish. But shouldnt we want more from our WR/TE/RB than “good enough the OL will sort out the differences”?Afterall this is a game of balance & the goal is to have quality talent everywhere.

An elite skill group can raise the level of a poor OL by backing defenses off & creating space in the tackle box.If a Defense cant match up outside & the QB can get off quick passes that can be lethal taking trenendous pressure off of an OL. I could go on but i think ive made my point.It works both ways & its about balance.Why would we deliberately “settle” at any position group much less the ones that actualy put up the points??

We need OL AND Playmakers.Its not one or the other

15. Not directed at you my friend or anyone specific.I agree its bad timing &not a good fit.

All im saying lets not let the need at OL overshadow the need for a #1 skill.They are both equally important & should be treated as such

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I didn't ready any of this. Trade for Julio Jones. That is like trading for Craig MacTavish (Rangers) when the Stanley Cup could actually happen. Pass.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There's no place for that here.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Seriously tempted to violate TOS and create a dual account just so I can like this again!!!

19. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

We need to address the OL & DL next year no thanks.

20. FJF

I feel like you moved the goal posts on me a little bit. Not sure anyone would object to having a legit playmaker under 30 for four years. There’s only really one way to acquire those though and that wasn’t what this thread was about.