Improving the O-Line before Week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 17, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He needs to get a pash rusher and upgrade the OL next offseason. Supposed to be a deep draft for both and there could be a few good FA's.

LF911SC, tomdeb, TonyFtLaud and 2 others like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes he does.....and I'm sure he's well aware of this. The OL will get a face list this coming off season. EDGE will probably be the first round priority unless Mac finds a way to get Ansah or Lawrence...

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. Bingo.Disregarding the OL in almost the exact same manner likely cost Reese his job w NYG.

While the jets have very different expectations & circumstances than last year’s Giants team..ignoring glaring needs & counting on improvement from basically nothing more than hot air is def a recipe for getting fired.When you add the lethargic pass rush that was here when he arrived & has not changed they better hope they can make chicken out of chicken shit for one more year..bc if it goes sour theyll be gone no questions asked

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

For this season, I think our OL will be as follows(last yr under contract in parenthesis):
    Starters= Beachum(19), Carpenter(18), Long(21), Winters(20), Shell(19)
    Backups on 53= Ijalana(18), Harrison(18), Dozier(18), Qvale(18), Garcia(20, if we inherited his contract from NE, which I believe we did)
    Practice Squad= Golson(20), Shepley(20), James(20)

2019 & 2020-
    -Carpenter won't be renewed after the season, which leaves a hole at LG, or Winters slides over from RG to LG.
    -Opened spot will try to be filled with above average talent in FA market, if not there, I believe an early pick in the draft will be spent on G or C. If center, Long moves to Guard. The one guard spot is more of a priority in the FA/Draft than OT, because in 2020, we COULD roll with Shell/Garcia as our OT.
    -Also believe a draft pick will be spent on an OT that may be able to play LT. Beachum will still be the starting LT in 2019 I firmly believe. He's solid and I would say, our best OL on the roster. I'm higher on him than most.
    -Garcia will be the understudy of Shell at RT in 2018 and 2019. In 2020, a re-signed Shell could slide to LT and Garcia be at RT, if the 2019 draft pick doesn't pan out.

Ptflea2 and mrjet80 like this.
  5. Well lets be fair 12-4 winning the division & making the AFCE is tad better than beating Buffalo to finish 4-12 & moving down 3 spots in the draft

6. mrjet80

This is pretty well thought out........

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My priorities are not turning Darnold into the Sanchez. The jets failed to surround him with talent after the 2011 season and it ruined him.

8. PennyandtheJets

So based on your logic, there won’t be ANY Olineman that pan out after the 2nd round of this years draft...hmmm

9. Its not important what i think of the OL after the 2nd round.Its what the Jets thought of the OL prospects.Before even considering it was a weak talent pool the Jets are switching to Shanahans zone blocking scheme which is very unique in terms of what skillset is necessary from Ol prospects. Its very plausible that there simply wasnt alot of worthy names to pick from

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

That’s my point though. Are we really saying that the Jets couldn’t find themselves a single Olinman to develop? Didn’t have to be someone ready to play year 1.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

OL in FA in '19. . Next year's draft is absolutely loaded defensively. . Pray at least 2 QBs (in what looks like a weak QB class) will emerge that will push the 6-7 "top 3 talent" picks further down in the upcoming draft. .

And, Maccagnan grabbing a QB this year while holding onto a 1st round pick for next year's draft was huge.

Pags2112, Brook!, FJF and 3 others like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Could go either way. I could see OLB addressed in free agency and o line addressed in the draft too. Both positions are very strong in round 1 and it seems like the Defensive positions will be better options in free agency. The right free agents could easily turn the D into one of the best in the league.

13. mrjet80

Jake Matthews, Cameron Fleming and Taylor Lewan are 3 names to keep in mind if the Jets go OT in FA. All are young and will be expensive but if not tagged Max will have plenty of money on hand.....for EDGE Clowney and Lawrence will be there also.

Pags2112 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

I'd love to see lawrence and Ramsey signed along with Lewan or Matthews.
    Don't know if any of them will actually hit the market but it would be nice. I can't imagine Clowney hitting the market next season .

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Addressing the OL concerns will involve more than one player and considering the Jets don't have a 2nd round pick in 2019 they're not going to be able to go back-to-back OL like they did with the safety position in 2018. In addition, while Darnold's learning the ropes you don't want his LT blind side learning the ropes as well - this is where e.g. Taylor Lewan comes in. . OL (esp. LTs) are now getting big bucks because the spread/air raid offenses in college have had a limiting impact on the number of "complete package/ready-to-play" draft prospects and with the Jets' cap space they should devote their money towards the surer NFL-tested OL option - this is where OT Halvenstein, Matthews and OGs Marpet (TB), Spain (TN) come in. The Titans have the option of franchise tagging Lewan, or tagging then trading him so who knows how that plays out,

Otoh, getting a difference-making edge rusher (one player) can be had in the 1st round (Ed Henry, Nick Bosa, Rashan Gary, Devin White, Clemson DL) , that is unless the Raiders for whatever reason don't resign Khalil Mack which would be insane, or the Texans' Jadeveon Clowney whom they'll probably want to keep paired with JJ Watt. Demarcus Lawrence & the Cowboys "franchise tag" issue will continue to be a very touchy affair with Lawrence using it to 'break the bank' in the long term. Question is do the Jets even with all their 2019 cap space want to go all in money-wise on Lawrence or go 'rookie cheap' in the loaded 2019 draft.

Pags2112, Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Beachum is still under contract through 2019 so if Mac does draft a LT, he would not need to start day 1. I agree the o line needs more than 1 player. LG is one position that needs upgrade, especially if we are going to use the zone blocking scheme. Carpenter does not like the scheme and struggled in it in the past.
    I'm well aware how overpriced LTs are but personally I'm in the minority who thinks that the RT position is actually more important in today's game. When you look across the league, all the top pass rushers line up opposite the RT. It's a shorter path to the QB as most naturally roll right, also a hit is going to be to the throwing arm increasing the chances of forcing a fumble or an injury. Beachum is currently the best O lineman on the roster and in my opinion, not the weak link.
    Lots will change by the end of this season. Free agency should determine the direction of the draft.
    Let's just hope Mac can balance BPA and need. I have a feeling that Mac will add some draft capital before the season ends and we will have the opportunity to make a second round pick.

Ptflea2 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. One thing ive really been contemplating is the notion of doubling up on edge rushers. We could easily sign one in FA & then draft another.

I think the upside is higher on the pass rushers in thedraft compared to the OTs at this early juncture which could change..but one thing to bare in mind is that the team generally scouts OL significantly better than they do edge.

I think Marpet would be a home run.He fits the scheme very well as well as the locker room.Hed pair very nicely w Taylor Lewan. Chance Warmsck maybe another optionHes not quite as good of a fit in a zone but stil adequate w additional size & girth to that of Marpet

18. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Top Ot's don't usually make it to Fa market. Serious doubt any of those three will be out there on free agent market. There is a better chance to get a top Fa guard in free agency.

Likewise it's very doubtful a top pass rusher going to come free in Fa either.( again pass rushers , and Top Ot's are two of the premier positions).

The jets want to address these two weak spots( Tackles, and pass rushers) , they are going to have to find their own in the draft.

Last point Yes the Jets have the most money to play with in free agency, but they are also live in a state with high tax rate. So that means the Jets offer has to be way higher than a team with no state tax.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Mike Mac DRAFT an OL???? Are you serious? 2 total drafted now in 4 drafts, both in round 5.

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think the key is for the whole OL to play at the top of there game like we did against Jacksonville last year. When they are clicking on all cylinders as a unit they are a formidable line. Jacksonville is no slouch and they ran at will for 200+ yards