Revis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Jul 18, 2018.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Fans hold players to entirely too high set of standards. Like they're and elected official and NOT an athlete who is there for our entertainment. This notion that they should do certain things that supersedes their best interests for the sake of some abstract "loyalty" concept is asinine.

If you take the emotions out of everything thing and just look at his career decisions objectively, he may just be the savviest NFL player from a contract leveraging standpoint ever.

To say anything in a negative way about his on the field or locker room performance/character in very misguided and uninformed. In this regard he has always remained the consummate professional. I think where spin is introduced into this belief is from his level of play in his final stint as a Jet. The fact is you can call it what you will "taking plays off" or what have you, but at this point in his career he was just done. He did not age gracefully his talent fell off a cliff. The brightest star fades the quickest.

If I may, I have a few points I would like to make in response to some of the remarks.
    • Don't be ridiculous and say he's not one of the greatest Jets ever. If he's not in your top 3 your opinion is void.
    • Don't project on what another person should do/have done career wise unless you yourself have turned downed 10's of millions of dollars in a pursuit of tribal loyalty.
    • Revis is unquestionably the best cover CB to ever play the game, hands down. The fact that the only player people can even point to and claim "might" be better or as good, isn't even making that argument from the sole basis of his skills at the position they are referencing (CB). Instead their only defense is to bloviate about their special teams contributions. While this does make for a good debate on which player was more valuable from a team aspect, it's important to have clarity when making claims of player vs position. PRIME DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING TACKLE!!! Did Revis?.. Go ask Eddie Royal.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Spot on. Revis is a bitch. He was never a leader and not someone many would be proud to call a friend/teammate. He's kept to the shadows and tried to bleed everyone dry. He is not personable or even likable. He probably barely has a personality. A stud and the best to play the position? Absolutely. A team leader and a someone to look up to? Absolutely not.

Curtis Martin, Testeverde, Pennington, Coles, Mawae, Chrebet, D'Brick, Mangold, T-Rich, etc., those are the guys you wish well and want to meet. Revis can eat a dick.

Jetphan73 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

This is a horrendous take. He was All-Pro 5 times and Pro Bowler 7 times. 2-3 elite years?! You're obviously biased because of the holdouts. He's a top 3 cb of all time and a Top 3 Jet of all timer. Neither is all that debatable.

Bowles Movement and westiedog1 like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good ole Uncle Sean. In fact, he was Revis' biggest adviser.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Only 2 years?! From the INT to win the season opener against Pennington in 2008 to the day he tore his ACL in 2012, he was, by far, the best CB in football. Arguably the best of all-time. He also played #1 CB seasons from 2013 - 2015, not that anyone seems to care about that.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

At least they were able to draft Dee Milliner to replace him....

7. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

One of the greatest Jets of all time. And his career highlight is winning the super bowl with the patriots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. I get tired of hearing "he should fight for every penny, teams show no loyalty & their career could end at any moment". And yeah..players have the right to pursue the highest contract possible & need to show foresight given the grim realities of a playing career. By no means am I suggesting that the $ should stay in the owner's pockets. But this is supposed to be a TEAM game. At some point a players "Brand", "street cred" & salary based "Respect" needs to take a backseat to the front of the jersey. The inherent risks are what they are...the player knows what they sign up for & they get paid handsomely even at the low end of salaries. I don't wanna hear about post career, or Uncle Sean or any other crap. Uncle Sean did quite well for himself in his career despite making an ass of himself for holdouts just like Darrelle. It's not about after the playing days. That's just a load of crap. At the salary Revis was getting on his WORST day..w. some responsible planning he'd be set for life w. plenty left over for future money Grabbing generations. Thats nothing more than an excuse. It's not about feeding the family, post career security or anything relatable. It's about ego & status. Pure & simple.

Not one time in Revis entire career did he ever put a team first. It was always about what he was getting paid. He's far from alone in today's NFL. We're getting to the point where all these guys are mercenaries. There is literally no sense of team shield, loyalty or otherwise. This isn't MMA, WSL or Motocross. It is a TEAM GAME..I think by pardoning these guys & relating them to your average joe going to the boss looking for 5k more a year so he can buy his family a house..we've empowered alot of selfish misguided perspectives that are not good for the game.

#48 KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Forget his on-field play. The Darrelle Revis Foundation will be his true legacy.

Here, the founder teaches our youth how to grab the money and run.

[​IMG]

10. jetophile

My rabid Jets fan Vinnie's (he's the best) take on Revis. This is all via text after we were going back and forth on Beningo and also Darnold:

Vinnie: "Revis, one of my least favorite Jets of all time. He had a couple of dominant years, I never really liked him. He was never a team guy, never spoke after a loss, and extorted the Jets time and time again. Agree with you that it's the Jets FO fault for allowing the extortion to happen, but fuck that guy. I was never a fan and never will be.

Held out as a rookie then held out on the deal that he originally held out on, then threatened to hold out again. Goes to a hated rival and gets a ring and then comes back for $17 million and gave veteran minimum pay/play effort and never stood in front of reporters to answer tough questions. You should read the rants to my brother on the Revis topic. My brother wants to go to the Hall when Revis inevitably gets inducted. I told him have a good time, because I'll have to listen to him praise Belichick for helping him raise the Lombardi as he gets inducted as a Jet. I'll pass.

Agreed on the Ring of Fame his # shouldn't be retired. I have issues with it. Only way I'll buy tix to that game is if I know for sure it's happening just so I can see him get serenaded with a chorus of boos. I think the secondary will be just fine in his absence. How many Championships did he help the team who drafted him get, all, one, or none of them. I'll give him this, he seems like a model citizen off the field, so enjoy your "earnings" and leave me alone, cya."

Me: "Good assessment, I must admit. Didn't you just tell me to sit down."

Vinnie: "That's because it's accurate. It's the Italian in me. I don't forgive and forget."

I love my friend, Vinnie. He's one of my most favorite people in the entire world, and he's also one of the most hilarious people I've ever lucked out to meet. And we became friends, because, well, Jets. I used to work with his wife, and at a company party we struck up a conversation. Needless to say, we talked about the Jets for over three hours. I always get this text prior to a game: "Win or lose, there will be pain."

Just to be clear, I never condoned Revis' histrionics. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of crucifying him when there's probably only one or two people on earth who wouldn't steal from a corporation if the corporation let them. That's really all there is to it. And, yeah, the Jets FO was dumb.

#50 jetophile, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Revis in the Ring of Honor-

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Revis straight up quit in his last stint with the Jets. He was not a team player and only cared about Revis. Your post makes some good points but you blew a giant homer jizz load all over them and ruined it. Unquestionably the best cover CB to ever play the game? Child please.

13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Has any other N.Y. football star ever been hated by fans to this degree? The only one I can think of is, maybe, Tikki Barber.

14. Alot of ill will to this day for J abe

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I hate Mark Personal-Foul-#99-Defense-First-Down-Cleveland-Gastineau more than I could ever hate Revis.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, I think Champ Bailey has something to say about that

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The problem with Revis is he has just as many negatives IF NOT MORE than positives.

-Was a Me-First Shut Down Corner from 2008-2011. Literally on an island.
    -All he cared about was money and himself. Holding out several times. He preferred the back of his jersey instead of the logo on the front.
    -He signed with the rival Patriots (at a discount) and won the Super Bowl.
    -Then stole even more money from the Jets, but this time was a flat out embarrassment on the field.

So I am not sure how any Jets fan can truly like Revis. As some have said in this thread, watching him for that 4 year stretch was a lot of fun. He was great. One of the best ever. No debate. Then he ruined it all. How long will it take fans to forget or forgive? For me: never. Just not a fan of that kind of person. It is too bad, but that is life.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He belongs with a Burglary Ring NOT the ROH

Make this shyster and his stupid mark mike macagnan (coughing up all that $) a very distant memory...

to hell with ya MEVI$$$$$$$$$$$

#58 NYJetsO12, Jul 19, 2018
  19. jetophile

The Jets FO . . . stupid . . . just sayin' . . . again. But also saying again that if you don't make a money grab on idiots, who's the real idiot?

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The poster who pointed out that Darrelle didn't mention the fans is spot on.

He was a pure mercenary.

His jersey should have had a giant $ sign instead of number 24.

* #24 is currently unassigned

#60 Acad23, Jul 19, 2018
    NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.