Early predictions for our offense this year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 17, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Have to say I'm a bit shocked to see the Jets turning up 32nd again in some of these polls. Last year yea I could see it. The Jets are a favorite whipping boy of the media and when looking at the pure talent some were predicting (and hoping to see) a historically bad offense. Of course that never came to fruition. Heck until McCowns injury we were pretty decent

This year I'm incredibly optimistic. But once again we are getting shat on because the talking heads and keyboard warriors don't see a headline making superstar talent player. And yes they're right there is no Beckham or Gurley or Gronkowski or Julio. But we have quality depth all around. And I don't mean just 5 David Nelson types...actual good players

Our QB room has improved by leaps and bounds. Whoever starts I believe will be able to move the ball. McCown is old but is coming off a very good year up until his injury. Bridgewater is looking solid. The knee seems to be no issue. He's performed at the NFL level before. Darnold is already wowing people. Intelligent kid, learns quickly. All the tools. His ceiling may be top 5 QB in the league. And I don't think his floor is anything worse than 14-16th best in the league.

Robby Anderson, Enunwa, Terrelle Pryor, Jermaine Kearse. All 4 have had seasons of 800 or more yards. That's outstanding depth. Plus you add a rising Chad Hanson and this is a solid group. And who knows maybe somebody like Peake or Stewart surprises

Crowell, Powell, and McGuire will be a solid RB rotation. Perhaps Rawls steps up and becomes the 3rd guy instead of McGuire. But all have had success in this league as runners and receivers and all have a measure of explosiveness. Plus Dimitri Flowers who was the best fullback in the draft.

TE's are a bit of a concern. Walford is nothing special but has proven he can play in the league. Herndon has some talent so hopefully he works hard and learns from his stupid mistake. Not sure about Tomlinson and Leggett. If they become anything at all

O-Line - disappointing they didn't do more but Long will definitely be an upgrade over the nightmarish Wesley Johnson and that helps. I also think they will no doubt pick up one of those solid surprising cut down day veterans later this summer. Or swing a trade. I just don't see them going in with this unit as it is now

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

New systems being installed means growing pains. I have a feeling its gonna take more than one TC and one season for all the moving parts start to act as a well oiled machine. We'll know by say, game 5 or so if the offense is starting to gain traction and be successful. Keep in mind this is also Bates first stint as an OC in quite a few years so he's gonna have to get a feel for the flow of the game and balance that against what Bowles wants.

Again, a lot of moving parts that have to mesh in 2018. I'd be happy with a mediocre showing all things considered.

NYJetsO12, Peebag and themorey like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Our skill positions other than a question mark at tight end are solid. I do not understand why writers are slamming this group. We do not have any elite players, but enough options to give a QB to be successful. I think the old Jets would have felt that media pressure and gone after a Dez Bryant simply for his name and he would have been paid all this money to then not surprisingly look old and tired on the field.

My main concern is the offensive line. I have been writing on this board that the reason we haven't made deep playoff runs since 2009 and 2010 is because we never came close to having an offensive line as good as those years. We now 5 adequate players which don't impress me, but hopefully we have no weak links at least. Last year our QBs were under pressure and many times we got 0 push in the run game. I am not sure changing out the center will correct all of that, but we can only hope.

LF911SC and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

If not for McCowns injury the Jets would have had two WRs with over 1,000 receiving yards. Think about that. A lousy OL, weak running game and a journeyman QB yet they somehow managed decent production. There is potential here and something to build on

Brook! likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And those 5 wins ;)

6. LF911SC

Which was around four more wins than predicted. And with McCown I can make a strong case for a couple of more wins. NO and SD games were there for the taking of not for Petty

7. forevercursed

Yea Petty was such a disappointing mess. After always looking great in the preseason every time he was handed the ball in the regular season his accuracy goes to shit. If this were baseball he's be what you call a AAAA player.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. LF911SC

Huge difference between the preseason where there is no game planning and regular season. Plus in the preseason a lot of throws in week 4 or 4th quarters against Philly grocery helpers

KurtTheJetsFan and Jets69 like this.
  9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Most on this board can't distinguish between preseason and the regular season, why this fan base always obsess over scab QBs, hence Petty.

NYJetsO12 and LF911SC like this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

My only hope is that Grandpa McCown doesn't see the field, play Bridge he's 25 till the kid is ready or start the kid

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  11. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I hope the best option at QB plays, whether it is McCown, TB or Darnold is unimportant to me. Let them fight it out in camp and the best option plays. For the first time in a very long while we have good options for QB. That's exciting!

FJF likes this.
  12. LF911SC

Ratliff was the craziest. Well Simms was up here too, lol

Jets69 likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think we have a mid-tier offense. I'd bet our running game will be the biggest disappointment on the O side of the ball.

I also believe our O will be better than our D. Our D will not get to the next level without a pass rusher.

FJF likes this.
  14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Well - at least we have options at QB.....:(

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm gonna say lower tier mid of the pack. probably rank around 20ish i hope i'm wrong though

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Vegas oddsmakers have the Jets winning 6 games

Yes the curve is pointed upward butthe bad coaching, Bowles will screw with Bates like the others OCs and Mac can't get a decent OL together..our "holes to fill " on the whole team have been there year after year and D always get the advantage for FAs and draftees..brilliant

I see flashes of greatness from a number of players but this schedule is just murder

3 wins....4 if we are lucky

CBG likes this.
  17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Surprised Vegas has such a high number with the common knowledge that Bowles will "screw with Bates like he did with the other OC's".

Plus, although Mac may have filled the biggest hole they've had for decades he's done nothing to build the team otherwise. Nevermind what looks like a good stable of skill guys and that he signed three or four OLinemen: he also signed and drafted D players...how silly is that?

#17 Walt White, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  18. forevercursed

You're overrating the teams on our schedule. I'm not an optimist by nature but I feel like we can do 3-1 or even 4-0 vs. just Miami and Buffalo

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The problem is Miami and Buffalo fans would say the same thing about us.

FJF likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter