Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, May 17, 2014.

1. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

This. I'd also add in the potential to watch a random movie on TV that's on...

Local sports, national sports (nfl and nba), tv shows and movies is worth it.

Plus $125 or whatever the triple play from Comcast I pay a month is nothing...

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

What do you cord cutters do to get Jets games?

3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Stream it on the internet or go to a bar I would assume...

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Pop in an antenna and watch the games on CBS hd for free. If a game is on ESPN it will show up on pix 11. This is of course assuming you live in the NYC area.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

5. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I am setting up an HD slingbox at a relatives house on Long Island to view through an Amazon Fire TV box to my 65" TV in Atlanta. Will test this month to see if stream holds up HD picture quality. Excellent internet bandwidth (Fios/Comcast) on both ends.

6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to put this out there if anyone was interested. HSN.com has the Roku 3 for $89.95, same price as Best Buy and other retailers but if you set up a Visa Checkout account you can get $25 off orders of $50 or more, with tax got the Roku 3 for under $69.
    This $25 off actually applies to anything on HSN but was thinking of this thread when I ordered my Roku, the 3 is down in price since the 4 is now out.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

9. The Waterboy

Been a while but had some more questions. Still sticking with basic cable and my Roku with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, actually got Hulu for free when I got my new phone.

Anyway, just ordered a TV for the bar I am doing in my back room, Toshiba 50-inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with HDR - Fire TV Edition for $289 because of Prime Day on Amazon.
    My questions is what free VPNs are people using? Since I plan on using this TV almost exclusively for streaming sports I figured best to use a VPN.

Already talked to someone about setting the TV up to stream but if what they told me doesn't work I'm sure I'll have questions about that too.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ehh, Free VPNs aren't usually good ones ... I use firestick + sling + prime and I have IP Vanish, pretty decent VPN. Very cheap as well.

Windscribe is a decent free one, but I've seen inconsistencies in terms of network connections.

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

If you're using it for sports, my best advice is to use Chrome with AdBlock extension, (hdmi to a laptop if you have to), and use bosscast.net That's my go to site for all sports events. The links always work.

12. The Waterboy

Thanks, I'll probably start with a free one and if it doesn't work out I'll switch over to a paid service unless just decide to not worry about it. I streamed almost every week of the season last year without a VPN, still going to be a while before the bar is ready to go anyway.

I was thinking of maybe just running a long HDMI, with an extender if the signal gets too degraded, from my PC through the attic and to the TV. That would be my easiest solution except for the crawling in the attic part. I added bosscast to my streaming bookmarks though, thanks. I already use Adblock Plus with Chrome and Firefox.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Out of curiosity WB, how much bandwidth are you working with? The quality of your service will depend on how much available bandwidth there is available for the stream. HD streaming can use a lot of your available bandwidth especially if someone else in the home is also using that bandwidth for other applications.

14. The Waterboy

It's 100Mbps, usually will just be me streaming and on here during the games. Wife usually finds something else to do on game day but even if she is here, the most she would be doing is using FB.

Cman68 likes this.