SAM is perfect fit with Jets west coast offence

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It seems like a perfect fit in New York. The New York Jets run the West Coast offense, and it’s a perfect fit for Sam Darnold’s skills.
    The New York Jets are in a great position with their quarterbacks. They have a guy who’s good enough to hold down the fort. They also have a young quarterback with playoff experience — albeit coming off an injury. Finally they have the guy they believe to be a franchise quarterback they drafted this year.

When it comes to running the West Coast Offense (WCO), you need a quarterback who’s accurate. It’s also an offense based on quick and short throws. According to Pro Football Focus, Sam Darnold was the best in college football on the quick plays in the WCO.

He led the nation in accuracy percentage — which accounts for things that could be or are outside the quarterback’s control (ie. throw aways and drops) — on the quick throws. He was also the best at hitting receivers in the best spot to catch the ball.

According the Pro Football Focus QB annual guide, Accuracy+ is “percent age of throws on the receiver’s ‘frame’.” He hit the receiver within that target area 19.1 percent of the time.

While the NFL is a completely different animal than college in terms of coverage, there was only one NFL quarterback with a higher overall accuracy+ rating according to PFF — Tom Brady.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lock it up HOF

stinkyB, Brook! and FJF like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This seems weird. From all the predraft stats I looked at, this absolutely feels like a category Baker Mayfield led in.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not only weird, it's not true. Baker Mayfield did lead in accuracy and Darnold wasn't even close to Mayfield.

#4 NCJetsfan, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You jest but I think if he stays healthy Darnold will eventually become the best Jets QB of all time. I've never been more confident about a Jets QB pick.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Il bacio della morte. Translation: the kiss of death.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think you are misunderstanding the accuracy stat. It isn’t about completion percentage. It’s all about ball placement on the receivers body.

I don’t recall any ball placement accuracy stats from PFF leading up to the draft so perhaps this is something new they analyzed post draft?

LF911SC likes this.
  8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Well yeah, he's from California.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. Ben Mcadoo-doo apparently disagrees.

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

McAdoo doesn't disagree with the accuracy, he dislikes the mechanics and ball security.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They were not clear but they are referring to that Accuracy + statistic about hitting the receiver in the target area to which Darnold had 19.1%
    We would have to look at their metrics to see where Mayfield was.

12. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

They changed the specifics. Note "in the WCO". Baker didn't run any version of the WCO.

13. If I remember right Mayfield obviously had the highest completion % & also lead in completed passes to open targets which PFF views as a good thing rather than a brow raiser.

Darnold had the superior metric as it pertains to ball placement which they indeed measure by balls thrown within the receivers frame.He additionally lead PFF in their “big time throws” metric.Mayfield finished second.

And not re open old wounds but if accuracy has different components ball placement is the most crucial & most valuable. Mayfield has great ball placement but he wasnt the best among the QBs in the class & if ot were to be debated completion % would hold very little weight

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"big time throws" metric. boy if that's not some willy nilly nonsense, idk what is. PFF sucks

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Understood, still would like BudJet to log in and provide the rest of the Accuracy+ metrics for the first round QBs so we have an idea about where Darnold stands in relation to them.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hopefully you are right. Right now, everything seems too good to be true.

Walt White likes this.

17. 5;30-8 minute mark.Darnold finished 2nd in accuracy but first in accuracy+ which is making the perfect throw right on the frame. He also finished first in high end “big time” throws & scored 1st & among the elite in throws under pressure.

They make some interesting points about Darnold’s arm strength. It’s a strange magic for sure. At times it does seem as if the ball lacks velocity however theres no throw he couldnt make & at times really fired the ball.Folks have also posted metrics on here that suggest Darnold has near elite level arm strength & velocity. So not really sure what to make of that portion.Throwing for distance certainly isnt a problem & with the top end ball placement this may just be barking in the dark

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The bolded doesn't make sense to me. I may be mistaken, but believe that Mayfield had more dropped passes than Darnold. It seems to me that accuracy should take into consideration the location of the ball and not just completion percentage, as a great WR who can sky, dive and stretch out for the ball can make a QB look a lot more accurate than he is (like Keyshawn used to do for Vinny or whoever the Jets QB was). That wasn't the case with Mayfield.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Why is Brylcreem Ben spouting off all of a sudden? Is he trolling for an NFL job? Maybe the paychecks from the Giants are about to run out. Is he one of those guys, like Ray Handley and Rich Kotite, that bombed so badly as head coaches that they'll never again sniff an NFL job?

"Good morning, kids. I'm Mr. McAdoo, your new gym teacher."

KurtTheJetsFan and Walt White like this.
  20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Brylcreem Ben, haha. That was his first mistake smh.

We really need to heed what he has to say about managing a QB and an O in NY right?

His agent prolly told him to start bullshitting and maybe ESPN has a place for that trash.

101GangGreen101 and Since1969 like this.