Where the Jet coaches REALLY rank historically..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

boozer32 and mrjet80 like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I read this last week - my observations........

I don't think I'd place Herm Edwards above Walt Michaels. Michaels endured a lot of losing early on as he rebuilt the team from inside out but the man knew football. Herm wasn't a bad guy or a bad coach but he did misjudge the clock an awful lot....I'd drop him down below Michaels but ahead of Walton who I would probably drop below Mangini who I think endured some bad luck with injuries especially his last two seasons.

I get that Weeb won the Super Bowl so that makes him the automatic # 1 but he did have a losing record overall. Parcells didn't but of course he only coached three years.....

Coslet was an idiot. I would place him even lower not sure how far as I don't know much about Baugh or the bulldog...but I remember Coslet as a chest pumping loudmouth who got frazzled kind of easy and who didn't have the stats to back his self proclaimed offensive genius......remember all those huge leads those early 90s Jets blew? Bad coaching. Coslet's persona kind of reminds me of another guy on the defensive side. :) But at least he won some playoff games.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

From what I can tell this is basically a list based on this: championships, then playoff wins, then playoff appearances, then number of winning seasons. Hardly very difficult or very interesting. It's exactly questions that aren't related to those obvious measures that are interesting. So, for example, I think Herm was a worse coach than his record and Michaels was a better coach than his record, so Michaels is definitely above Herm in my rankings. In fact, I'd put Walton above Herm too. Also don't see how Coslet can possibly be above Bowles - making the playoffs with an 8-8 record is no accomplishment at all, just dumb luck. Doesn't really matter, though, because I don't think either was/is any good.

RPOZ51 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Herm doesn't deserve to be 4, I'd drop him to around 8. It seems that this ranking is almost just a sorted list on win percentage without any context.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

HELLO! :mad: Regular Season Wins and Playoff Wins are solid devices to measure how good a coach was during his tenure with a team. In my opinion Herm is a top 5 coach with the Jets. He was a profound motivational speaker (like his mentor Dick Vermeil) during his 5 seasons with the Jets. Herm Edwards left an indelible imprint on the Jets franchise for the better. Goodbye! :)

FJF likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd go with Parcells, Weeb, Michaels, Ryan, Herm.

I know people don't like Herm but he did more with Parcells players than Parcells did right up until the point they all aged out and his team collapsed. Parcells is clearly the best coach in Jet history with 9-7/12-4/8-8 with O'Donnell, Vinny and Ray Lucas.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks to management it's all downhill after Parcells

Because of the Johnsons ..who were anathema for good Coaches beginning with Belichek bolting for that smarter owner Kraft..we doth suck at attracting the Coaching Talent right up to shoddy Toddy today

This is our dilemma ...but after Bowles moves on you can only hope Darnold is that Diamond in the Rough for getting better free agents and Coaches

#7 NYJetsO12, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    boozer32 likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't see Coslet as an idiot. Wouldn't characterize him as a great coach either but he was more unlucky than bad. 1993 season especially. But he took over just a dumpster fire after 1989 and they steadily improved in 1990 and snuck into the playoffs at 8-8 in 1991.

We had so many bad bounces, bad luck, bad calls in the Coslet years. Granted we had our share of inexplicable Jets no show performances too. And of course we had to deal with the dominant Bills in our division at that time who were light years ahead of us.

Plus our owner was Hess at the time and he was an atrocious owner. I would take Woody any day over Hess. Leon definitely had a Fred Wilpon feel too him

KurtTheJetsFan and boozer32 like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like how Todd Bowles is in the Top 10. Does that mean the Jets are that bad or they just haven't had that many coaches? :)

Top 2 are obviously Weeb and Parcells. The rest is a toss-up for me.

Sam Hammer, Royal Tee and boozer32 like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How bad is that list when Bowles is top 10. Herm needs to move down a few slots too. He coached scared. Talked a great game but X&O's were lost on him. Mangini in hindsight get's a bad rap. He drafted great for the Jets probably, better than at any time since the late 70's. That was when we had studs like Klecko, Gastineau, Powell, Shuler, Mehl and Walker.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. Keep going back to those 80s teams.There were def low points & things fell apart by 88 but from 79-87 this team had a true prototype & played “like jets”. Great athletes on both sides of the ball that were cohesive & fit for cold weather. If they couldve just made a few better personnel decisions along the way namely taking Marino & properly fixing the OL after 86 who knows..we might not still be searching for an identity esp on offense.

Ewbank & Parcells stand above the rest

boozer32 likes this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

Did you sweep the corners? Herm was entertaining, I'll give him that. A poster on another board used to call him Kansas City Kotite, haha. I flat out didn't understand this board when he left. People were calling for his head and wanted him gone, and although he vowed to stay on as HC (which everyone complained about) and then bolted to KC like a thief in the night, he got reamed for his dishonesty and hanging the Jets out to dry. Most of the fan-base got what they wanted with his departure, yet they carried on relentlessly about what a traitor he was. "Come back, you backstabbing hypocrite! I hate you!" It was completely off the rails bizarre. Jets fans, get want you want, still manage to complain, lol. The only thing that explains this phenomena is schizophrenia.

13. jetophile

Well, I'm Bruce Coslet's daughter, so . . .

This is probably before your time, but a bunch of lifers definitely get the reference. Coslet brought his daughter, Amy, to the games several times. She was on the Jets side-line, headphones on, in Jets gear. Kinda like a bring your kid to work day type thing. He would explain plays to her or whatever, sometimes she would carry a clipboard. Well, typical, the Jets fan crazies with our twisted sense of humor, you guessed it, it wasn't long before raucous calls of, "WE WANT AMY! WE WANT AMY! WE WANT AMY!" and "SIGN HER!" started up. Meaning, fire her father and hire her in his place. Every time he would bring her, it would start up like clockwork. And thus the legend of Bruce Coslet's daughter was born.

EDIT & P.S.: It was even better when they showed her on the Jumbotron, which I think the film crew actually began doing on purpose. Cheers like the Jets just scored a TD even if they were blowing pineapple chunks. LMAO.

#13 jetophile, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    RPOZ51 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Herm inherited a great young roster..... left the team a turd.
    Walked into a Playoff team in KC.....left the team a turd.

16. jetophile

Not being contentious because I agree with much of what you say, but I still don't completely buy it that the Jets would've made it to and won another SB with Marino. There were other systemic problems on the Jets as you mentioned, and Marino never got a ring, anyway. It's pure speculation, but I do concede our chances would've have better. Marino made it the SB in his second year and never sniffed it again, mostly because of the team around him. See Jets. Yes, Marino deserves to be in the HOF, credit where credit is due, but F Miami. I'm glad he never got a ring and more so by extension because of the Mud Bowl. Haha, there used to be a poster here with the handle F Miami, come to think of it. Well, that was some ramble. I'm not even sure what I just said. Good Day, Sir.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well......maybe calling him an idiot was a little rough and you are right he was hindered by piss poor drafting and bad luck. However I don't think he was head coaching material.....he was always getting frazzled, getting into it with the other team's players/coaches, blowing huge leads etc. I don't have pleasant memories thinking of the Jets and the early 90s ....

19. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Joe Walton and Herm Edwards should both be below Al Groh ... both wasted an absurd amount of talent. Nobody did less with so much. The rest of the list isn't bad.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Jets brass and I think owner asked the great Bill Walsh for advice on their next coach. He recommended 2 assistants, Bruce Coslet and Mike Holmgren. Holmgren didn't want to move his family to the east coast. How different would things have been? We'll never know. Fast forward and they did the same thing with Ron Wolf and Casserly. No way would anybody choose a moron like Bowles. This guy makes paint drying exciting. Woody should get his hired consultant money back.