Todd Bowles Comments About His Coaching

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jun 18, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot about how Bowles gets guys ready to play every week but I do not agree with that at all. Here's why--

Watch, or watch highlights of, that Thursday night Buffalo win from last season. You saw a Jets team out there, fired up, aggressive, the defense was flying to the football. That was great.

But you are kidding yourself if you say they show up like that every week. They simply don't.... or didn't. Sometimes they played with the energy we saw in that Buffalo game, but more often than not, they are out there going through the motions. The biggest indicator is gang tackling. You saw that in this buffalo game but you rarely see that from Bowles' teams. That's a sign of wanting to be there and play hard. They also play on their heels for most of the season.

Having your team ready, fired up and prepared every week, means every week, not once in awhile so we can point it out. Where was this aggressiveness when they sleepwalked through Tampa the next week? or Denver a couple weeks later??? every week means every week

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A lot of folks here think this is a pivotal year for Mac. May be so. But while we can point out to a few misses in the draft, we can also point out to some real jewels that have made this team more cohesive, younger and better. I also think his free agency pick ups have been always well targeted, low risk high reward. This team is getting better.
    If we bolster the OL further and get a bonafide pass rusher we have pretty much taken away all the excuses for this CS not to get significantly better.
    So I think this year is far more pivotal for TB and his DC, with a secondary spot light on the development of our new offense and OC.
    On paper we should be very competitive on every game. Win or loose we should come prepared with a solid game plan that optimizes our talent pool. No major let downs. All the eyes will be on the development of Darnold and the potential start of Teddy on game one. This year Jets will be judged by who we play and when as much as how we play and why. And that is strictly on the coaching staff.
    Let Mac focus on making this team better personnel wise. His legacy will boil down to how good Darnold becomes and how well the supporting cast is maintained.
    TB will be judged by how we execute a winning strategy.
    I think we are moving in the right direction, this season will tell us how just how fast we are moving towards our goal to win a SB.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

" you are what your record says you are" the tuna...

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry Kurt I think you are totally degrading the HC position. To my way of thinking coaching is very, very important & because Belly has so upgraded the HC position we as the NYJs have to do the same or fall behind FQB or no FQB. Now I have seen almost 50 years of less then quality HC. Based on my almost 50 year experience Bowles is NOT the guy to get us to the promise land which is why I say that Chris did ALL us fans a super super disservice by extending TB

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'll agree with champ that chris johnson did a disservice by extending Bowles. The biggest thing is that Bowles is clearly not the answer. So he's probably going to be fired after this year or after next but either way you would be ensuring that rookie Darnold has to adjust to a new staff so early in his career.

Would've been far better to can Bowles and start with a young offensive mind to work on a 3 year plan with the new young QB, in this case Darnold. Build something right for a change instead of half-assing it like the Jets have done for decades.

phubbadaman likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I agree Bowles should have been gone by now but if Darnold is a quarter the player most here have already designated him a shift in management should not be a big setback. Nobody ever said "You can't teach a new dog new tricks"