Forum Sourced 53 Cut Down Roster Prediction - QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Jun 23, 2018.

?

Which QBs will make the Jets cut down 53 man roster?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2018.
  1. McCown, Bridgewater & Darnold

95.3%
  2. McCown & Darnold

4.7%
  3. Bridgewater & Darnold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I'm bored so I decided to post some position group polls to crowd source our cut down day 53 man roster prediction. Why cut down day prediction? Because history has shown us that one man's trash in another man's treasure. Just because a player makes it through cut down day to the initial 53 roster does not mean he will be there for the opening game as Macc in particular loves to play the Waiver Wire. Its too hard to predict the opening game roster but we can at least take a reasonable stab at the cut down roster.

There will also be opportunities to determine how many of each position group to keep. I suggest a separate poll at the end to rank players by ST ability to be the discriminator between position depth. For a starting point I believe there should be position minimums for each position as follows:

QB: 2
    RB: 4 (includes FB)
    WR: 5
    TE: 2
    OL: 8
    DL: 6
    ILB: 3
    OLB: 4
    CB: 5
    S: 4
    K: 1
    P: 1
    LS: 1
    PR/KR: 1

This is 47 spots with 6 more TBD (or 48 spots with 5 TBD if we agree to roster all 3 QBs).

First group is the most exciting and with more promise than I can remember....the QBs!

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

with the jets o line, they should have 3 qbs active during games.
    #3 charts plays, holds for fg or fake fg plays, serves as backup in case first two are injured during games.
    based on recent games, not exactly an unrealistic senario.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Considering the injury history of both McCown and Bridgewater , the Jets Should go with 3 QBs. Regardless of how the o line performs, odds are neither last the season.

blackssmagic, LF911SC, Peebag and 3 others like this.
  4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

an excellent point! plus, with mccown either gone or coaching next season, why would you not keep bridgewater,
    as long as his knee is sound?

where would the eagles be last year without foles?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

McCown and Bridgewater. Assuming Darnold is just camp fodder.

NYJalltheway, Big Cat, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Only difference is foles knows he is #2 Qb on the team.
    Teddy wants to be a #1. It would be great to have teddy back up Sam in '19 but it ain't gonna happen
    Teddy will be long gone by '19, hopefully we can get something for him in a trade. Maybe a Draft pick or Fowler for Teddy.

#6 BudJet, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  7. still holding out hope that Sage Rosenfels will come out of retirement & straighten shit out at 1 jets drive..

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

We might be able to drop your K-P returner as one of our backs are fast enough to do that job.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 100

We may not get near the SB this season but if he not out of his back Teddy will have proven himself worthy and why trade a valuable commodity???

11. Theres just one small detail..hes only here on a 1 yr deal & should he have a good season why in the world would he re-sign his deal w Darnold waiting in the wings?

From a long term perspective unless hes starting,or this team is drastically closer to contention than any of us assume it’d be irresponsible if not detrimental to not at least listen to trade offers

An interesting variable is what kind of compensatory pick the jets could attain if Bridgwater stays the whole season & commmands a decent deal elsewhere next March

#11 KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is a good problem then Kurt...

Trade for picks and get a great OL would be nice

However, we are out of a good backup QB if we don't keep Teddy since McGown is aging out

Trade Teddy,play Sam the wonderkid, and who is a backup? It would be nice if McGown showed some life...we paid him a pretty penny didn't we?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

There will be no compensatory pick for Teddy. With over $100 million in cap space, we are sure to sign more free agents then we lose. If that weren't the case, he'd likely bring a third round pick.

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We should cut Darnold.

jetophile likes this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Exactly. People need to understand that short of franchising him (which is incredibly unlikely with Darnold on the team) there is virtually no way that Bridgewater can even be only decent in 2018 and still be on the team in 2019, and pretty much no way that they get anything for him unless they trade him before or during the 2018 season. That's just the way it is. I personally think that signing Bridgewater was a great decision, and if he was unwilling to sign anything other than a one-year contract with no team option then he deserves credit for being willing to bet on himself to such an extent. If the Jets could have guaranteed him a little more money and gotten a team option for a second year, however, then IMO Macc screwed up big time by not doing that.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wha???? no way. He's only 540 TD passes away from breaking the all time record and you want to cut him. Good call bro

Brook! and FJF like this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

100%. We are not getting a comp pick for him.

If we DO get a pick, that means Mac hasn't spent the money to improve the team and THEN I'll call for his head.

18. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I only think Teddy is a Jet wk1 if he wins the starting job or McCown or Darnold get injured.

Sam Darnold is getting the backup reps IMO. They wont keep him in bubble wrap like Hackenberg.

19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Bridgewater is a gonner by '19 . Trade him & get what we can for him. He'll never be a backup to Sam after this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Josh back on a team friendly deal in '19. Solely as a backup/ mentor.

#19 BudJet, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the Jets could keep 2 QBs on the roster and use Pryor as the emergency 3rd QB. My initial reaction was WTF, but the more I think about it the more I'm warming up to it but still have trouble counting on an oft-injured WR as a 3rd string QB. Then again we had 3 QBs on the roster last year and only played 2. I'd rather use that roster spot elsewhere but only if we can get good trade value for TB (possible) or McCown (doubtful).