I think Teddy starts all 16 games...(Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, May 4, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure Tampas calling Macc on the availability of a QB who may or not be able to stand up after a game in pads. Because he survived OTAs in shorts.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

He absolutely is, because if the Bucs start 0-3 in the NFC South, they can kiss the season goodbye. And that coach could kiss his job goodbye. I am not saying anything is going to get done before Teddy plays some preseason games, but you best believe conversations are being had.

3. LF911SC

No they're not. Start with they're not trading anything for another QB to be a backup for 3 games. The chance is lessened by how difficult those 3 games are. I would bet against the Bucs with Jameis in those 3 games.

4. Teddy's Elbow

Teddy's Elbow Member

Everyone is so focused on the corporate plan of Sam Darnold, that it is the only perspective people are viewing this team with. Everyone patting themselves on the back that so much insurance is in place for Sam in his development, with Teddy B signed for a nickel as trade bait and/or cuttable w/out penalty, Josh McCown solidly in place to groom the man and bridge the team's present to the Darnold future. But there is one possibility that no one in this Jets bubble is acknowledging, which would completely annihilate all plans:

What if Teddy Bridgewater ends up being a better quarterback than Sam Darnold?

first off, I don't want to hear about the knee. Obviously if his knee can't hold up, the argument is moot as Teddy's career would likely be over, but while everyone is pleasuring each other over at the idea of getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Teddy from the Bucs or someone this summer, what happens if Teddy goes somewhere else and plays better than Darnold? Is everyone still hi-fiving each other at what a genius Maccagnan is? I'm amazed at reading Jets fans and Jets media discussing everything based around Sam Darnold is the best guy ever for the Jets period, end of discussion.

Let me qualify this, if the goals of the Jets org and fans is simply to be "good enough" or better than a bottom feeder than this is definitely a win-win. Darnold's floor is to be a solid QB. Not a playoff or championship guy, but certainly someone to get the Jets from 90's Bengals level to Andy Dalton-Bengals level. But beyond that folks, you might want to think down the road to playoff time and if Sam is really the guy who can get the Jets to a championship level.

And this isn't some random prediction, this is based on reality, primarily around intangibles. Teddy has big-game history and has been nothing but clutch in these scenarios. In subzero temps he had the Seahawks beat in the playoffs (back when SEA was still great), with a game winning drive which was lost when the K missed a 27-yd FG. Elite playoff performance is not a given in the NFL. (Vikings were dominant until Case Keenum got in the playoffs and choked, for recent example.) Many big-time regular season QB's who can't hang in January. Teddy has the intangibles to do this. Not only the magnetic leadership ability, but performing in clutch situations. Every big game I saw Sam Darnold in at USC, he was not nearly as impressive as regular season meaningless games.

Like I said, Sam will get you to a point, and if getting out of the gutter is the primary objective, than God bless ya, and good luck. But if you're serious about a championship run, people in the Jets bubble should not be so anxious to casually trade away Bridgewater for some mid-round pick thinking like u just won the lottery. Sam proved to be a strong stats guy in college, but he did not shine in high-pressure situations, like guys like Mayfield did. You should be a LOT more worried about Sam's ceiling, if you're concerned about the long-term.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. LF911SC

Nothing to talk about in Minny?

Dierking and Jets69 like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

1 playoff game tells you he's clutch in the playoffs? Not saying Teddy's bad, but that's way too small of a sample size.

tbruner12 and Jets69 like this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Mang, I wish there was a mega thread somewhere that we could all talk about Teddy.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

You watch the 2017 Rose Bowl or nah?

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You talk as if you're the only person in the world who's considered this scenario. It's been discussed at length on this board.

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Teddy, it's okay. We like you. You don't need a burner account.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Teddys career in shambles with this injury

All of sudden , he making such a comeback he is gonna be better than the Third Selection of the 2018 Draft?

Sure..

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yeah but has anyone said “I think Teddy starts all 16 games”?

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good point. Might be a good topic for a new thread. :)

FJF likes this.
  15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

The official Teddy-Bot

16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Some say what do the jets do if Teddy plays well will there be a Qb controversy in '19, I say no chance for qb controversy in '19. If teddy plays well a team in need will throw big bucks at him next year. The jets will not pay to resign teddy. Remember he is only signed for '18. Best case scenario teddy plays well enough in pre season to make a needy team trade for him. Much like what vikings did when teddy went down. I would love a #2 pick or dare I say #1 pick for teddy. Remember he is a proven starter at the age of 26 and would only cost a team .5 mil to 5 mil depending on playing time & he will be on a cheap 1 year tryout to test his knee ...thats a lot to like for a team that either doesn't have a good starter or a team that qb went down with an injury. Sam is the future for the jets. Can't get hung up on what if we trade teddy & he plays real well. Remember Sam is 21 & teddy is 26. I will bet on Sam is at least as good if not better than teddy in 2 years. In 5 years Sam will be 26 & playing on his rookie contract......teddy will be 31 and probably will have been playing on a big contract for past 5 years.

#376 BudJet, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  17. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

This

18. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Edited your post for clarity

Harpua, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

You mean someone who had a better college career while playing in a pro style system, and has already shown success in the NFL. Explain to me how your comment is anything but narrative, because the comment doesn't coincide with the logic.

Actually no. No one has said that. That stemmed from my original post titled "Teddy Starts All 16 Games in 2018", that post had about 15 pages and was the most active Teddy thread going before it was merged removing my OP and changing the original title. The interesting part is I was not informed nor asked, first case in over 8 years as a member I had someone Post Nazi my thread.