Official OTAs thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’ll be honest, you’re literally the only person I’ve seen think that what Bates said was stupid so I don’t think many people are seeing the negatives. And that’s the definition of being a SOJF, finding things to bitch about where there’s nothing to bitch about, then act like other people are wrong for not also bitching about it.

Also Bates said all three QBs have had the entire playbook thrown at them, so we DO know of what’s being asked of Darnold is the same was what’s being asked of the others.

#201 BroadwayAaron, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Mogriffjr, Noam, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whatever. I could care less if you think I'm being a SOJF. Just because the majority (if indeed it is a majority, as I haven't seen a ton of people agreeing with you or responding to my post) doesn't see the problem, doesn't mean the majority is right. I could be wrong, but at this point, I don't think so. Regardless, it's not that big a deal. You're the one that's making a big deal out of it. Chill. It's not the first time we've disagreed, and I'm certain that it won't be the last. :) Also, since you've also gone to the mat with someone else lately over a relatively small issue, methinks it's definitely you with the skewed perspective.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Please, do share...

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Except a 'good Teddy' will almost certainly get traded. Not enough room for a 'good McCown' (and his $10M contract), a 'good Teddy', and Sam.

Bridgewater was a panic signing when Macc lost out on Cousins and the draft was still a big ???. Ask yourself this: If we had McCown and Sam on the payroll, would Macc have gone out and signed Bridgewater?

Probably not, which is why I think he's gonna get the axe.

Macc's hope now is Teddy plays really good in TC and Macc can re-coup one of our 2nd round pics from another team that panics.

Or at least a 4th round.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Mac all ready had the trade in place with the Colt's when Bridgewater was signed so he knew he was drafting one of the top 3 QBs in the draft and McCown had also signed.
    Teddy was not a panic move, it was a very low risk signing that gives the team insurance and a very possible trade candidate to recoup one of the picks he gave up for Darnold.
    Cousins was definitely plan A, but Mac was definitely prepared in the event that Cousins signed elsewhere.

6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Bridgewater a panic signing? That was the plan all along if they couldn't get Cousins and he's literally only on the books for $500,000 at this point. Bridgewater exactly matched what the Jets were going for. A young guy with great character and leadership who has potential to be a starter and led a team to a winning record in the past.

He was low risk, high reward, which made perfect sense. McCown is there for the coaching and mentoring. It's not about money in the least, it's about finding your future QB and surrounding him with quality character people. Overpaying Cousins would have been more a panic move, IMO.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty damn happy that Plan A failed miserably. In fact, I'm so happy I could split my pants! Here we go! RIIIPPPPPP!

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Be careful, Winslow Jr may hear the sound of your pants ripping...

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

10. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

On paper this is deepest roster the Jets have had in a while(not saying much). Not a ton of star power, but the extra cap space allowed McCagnan to supplement the roster with some guys who profile a solid backups/role players.

That said in order for the Jets to be competitive into December a lot will have to go right.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Yet you know once the season starts, one of our 3 QBs will not be on the team. Bowles will not hold 3 roster spots for QBs. I KNOW!!!! Macc will send Darnold to the practice squad so he can keep Bridgewater active!!!! That's it! Just kidding, but it seems to me Teddy is the odd man out and will be traded. I could be wrong, Macc has held 3 spots for QBs in the past, but with so much young, really good compitition for other spots I can't see Macc keeping Teddy 'just because'.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You should always have 3 QBs on the roster.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Darnold continues to impress me off the field.

14. Footballgod214

thru TC yes,. But most teams keep 2. At most they'll stash a young 5th rounder on the PS. We'll see soon enough.

Go Jets!

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I do think it is possible that one of the vets, Mccown or Bridgewater, gets cut. Both the roster numbers and the financial numbers work against them. If they don't make the opening roster then you dont have to guarantee their salary for the whole season.

It would be a cut made on cut down day and they would tell the player to stay close to the phone. A week 1 injury or something and they could be back on the roster by week 2.

I think McCown is the prime candidate for this type of decision, especially if Bridgewater looks better than him in camp.

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

McCown’s contract is fully guaranteed so there is no savings incentive to cut him.

He has already received a $5 million signing bonus and his $5 million base salary is fully guaranteed.

Teddy’s contract is the only one that has a financial incentive connected to it but I think he’s the better QB and is the only one of the two who could bring back value in a trade.

#216 Rollo Tomassi, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow. WTF was Macc smoking giving that guy $10 mil guaranteed at signing?

18. Rollo Tomassi

He had to.

He was the only legitimate starting QB on the roster.

Mac missed out on Cousins and with his signing of Teddy he couldn’t be sure Teddy would even be ready.

And even though he knew he was getting one of the top 3 QBs in the draft he wasn’t about to anoint him the starter.

McCown was basically a $10 mill insurance policy.

Could he have found another JAG QB cheaper? Maybe but McCown knows the system (or had least worked with Bates), was a known entity in the building and didnt totally suck so it made logical sense.

Better than the $15 mill he signed Fitz for.

19. It also seemed t be important to provide a quality infrastructure from which a young QB can properly develop under.

The jets have been criticized to a pulp for not providing young QBs an snvironment they can grow in.. coaching,QB room & some space to grow on depth chart w.o being thrust into the fire. Mccown is highly regarded league wide & in QB circles as being the ultimate mentor.Bridgewater is another high character team first guy who can provide even further perspective.as well as competition on the field.

QBs are gonna get paid an inflated amount compared to other positions..yes including39 y.o Mccown.If it costs 10m to finally provide a foundation for Darnold and even QBs not yet beseeched it was worth every penny.

FJF likes this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Yeah folks complained that we paid $10 million for a QB coach or a tutor or a mentor.

No. We paid bottom dollar for an NFL starting QB not on a rookie contract. That he can help build a foundation for Darnold is just friends with benefits.

Wait, that last part didn’t sound right.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.