2018 World Cup (Russia)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Jun 15, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don’t know who felt less sure about Messi scoring on that penalty kick, Messi or me?

Brook! likes this.
  2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Currently enjoying watching the best kit in the World Cup. Stay classy, Peru.

And Maradona the best ever for me. Won the '86 WC on his own. Broke my 12 year old heart in the quarters though, the cheating bastard. I'm over it now...just...

MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

God's hand eh? Man that was an epic time. The Falkland Island problems and God's hand. I am surprised you are over it donkey. You are a good man. :)

donkey likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Peru-Denmark game was great. Denmark's goalie made some great plays, as did their overall defense. Tough loss for Peru, who played well.

Brook! likes this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I’m still pissed at Baggio for missing that shootout kick.

southsidejet likes this.
  6. Brook!

1990 World Cup

Napoli

Napoli legend Maradona

1990 World Cup Semi Final game Italy against Argentina.

Game being played in Naples. Maradona the legend of Naples for the championship he brought to Napoli. The stadium filled with Italians chanting for Argentina and Maradona after Argentina knocks Italy out and advance to final. Can something like this happen again? I don't think so.

Forget the sorry ass Baggio miss in 1994. Go back 4 years and embrace the rare moment in sports history in 1990.

Oh. Salvatore Schillachi. Another 1990 legend for Azzurri. Ah, I am getting old.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

#1 among Russian Soccer Fans everywhere.

[​IMG]

#27 joe, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  8. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Beautiful free kick from the Serbs.

9. Lifelong team Germany fan..they were straight up embarassing today.

Brook! likes this.
  10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

They played like it was a game too far at the end of a long season. The body wasn't willing, they laboured throughout to no great effect. A real surprise.

Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good job Mexico

Brook! likes this.
  12. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Dog piss in a bottle basically. Tastes like piss and you need to drink about 30 of them to feel a buzz.

That vodka and the dill tomatoes are something else though.

13. Brook!

A very interesting start so far. Much entertanining than 2010 and 2014 I would say. Germany lost, Argentina, Spain, Brazil all tied. Italy and Netherlands aren't even here. If somebody told me before the tournament none of Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Spain wouldn't be able to win their first game I wouldn't believe it at all. But it happened. Among the favorites only France won so far. On to England tomorrow. I am rooting for England. Let's see if they will get the job done tomorrow.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Was referring to the Russian Ultras: dog shit in battle basically.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#34 joe, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  15. Brook!

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not a fan at all, but I have to say I'd be on board with the good time they seem to be having in Mexico City.

17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

They didn't play well but were straight up out coached really. It will be interesting to see if other teams try to copy the Mexican game plan - man mark Kroos and use the gaps left by the attacking full backs to exploit the lack of pace in defence - and if they can do it successfully if they try. Tournament is completely wide open at this point.

Sweden just beat SK so that makes it harder for Germany. They likely have to beat Sweden now.

18. Theyll get the defensive stuff fixed.Although Kroos is part of the issue hes not the catalyst.Hes never been a great defender anyway but is an unreal passer...his defensive woes were always offset by Khedira but he looks old stiff & slow. Theyll replace Khedira w Groetzka which will settle things down & will even provide alittle more creativity to the middle of pack.Additionally the full backs will need to scale back their charges up the pitch esp against effective counter attacks.

I worry more about scoring.Werner,Mueller,Reus,Drexler & even Gomez just seem to be in bad form.W the fullbacks having to scale back how is this team creating chances?Groetzka is a heckuva talent which could be the answer but hes still awfully young to carry that type of burden.

I think theyll beat sweden & SK bc theyre simply better than both those squads..but the knockout stage is where this likely ends.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Think you've hit the issue there. How will they score goals if the full backs can't provide the chances? I'm not sure that Germany will scale back their attacking too much. It's essential to the way they play and they require those wide runs to open up space for the likes of Kroos who can pass the ball through the eye of a needle but isn't going to worry too many running at them.

They will probably get through the group and beat SK, but Sweden are strong and organised and will be no pushovers. Sweden/Mexico draw, Sweden/Germany draw and Mexico beat SK then Germany can't progress. It's not likely but neither was Mexico winning and I think Sweden are better than Mexico.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

there's going to be a record number of penalties in this world cup. There has been one in almost every game so far.