2017-2018 NBA discussion thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

exactly. and its a damn shame that people always gotta judge him like that. If you just watch the man play instead of making everything some silly ESPN-type debate about his status in the history of the game, the cliche "MJ" debate, you actually enjoy watching him more anyway.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I will call him the GOAT when he comes to the Knicks and wins a title. That would be the greatest accomplishment of all time, even if he only wins 1 and retires. If you can win with that assclown Dolan lurking around, you can do anything... except curse at the staff, of course.

Chances are he goes to the Rockets, though. He had almost no help this year and still made the finals. The Rockets would have been in the finals if CP3 played that last game. Add Lebron and it changes everything.

#442 Sam Hammer, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Agreed, the game has changed for more offense and less defense over the years, same as in the NFL. That's because casual fans love watching great offense but don't appreciate great defense nearly as much. It is what it is.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

By the way, I had to look up Jordan's best season PPG wise. He averaged 37.1 points per game in 86-87. I don't know what you would equate that to in today's game but it would be pretty insane wouldn't it? The game in the mid 80s was so rough I would have to imagine a player of Jordan's skill in today's game could very well average 50 points per game.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't think Lebron can do this.

The Dark Knight and Antoni like this.
  6. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Nope, he hasn't yet. That doesn't mean he never will but the biggest shots in LeBron's Finals career were made by Ray Allen and Kyrie Irving.

LeBron loses both Finals if Allen and Irving don't make those 3s.

Jordan was a cold blooded killer and you would absolutely bet your life on him winning one game especially the deciding one.

JetBlue likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great video. Thanks for posting. Jordan was amazing and will always be #1 to me. Those last 3 titles were against really good teams too. I was a big Sonics fan in 96 and thought they had a chance but Jordan was too good. 97 and 98 the Jazz were great, but could't get past Michael. Those were some great Finals. I am too young to remember MJ's first 3 title wins in my memory, but have watched the highlights and they were also impressive.

JetBlue likes this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What I didn't mention in that video clip is:

1. The entire Bulls offense was completely anemic in the 4th quarter, except Jordan.
    2. Consequently, Jordan kept the Bulls in game. He scored all 8 Bulls points after the fateful 3 minute mark.
    3. At that time he was battling flu.
    4. So when Costas commented "Michael Jordan, running on fumes!" he wasn't kidding; he literally described how exhausted Jordan was at that moment. Jordan missed a handful of shots in this clip, and you will notice they are not off target. They are all short by an inch. If Jordan wasn't battling flu, he would have nailed the shots.
    5. So what was happening? Michael Jordan, while not even at 100% physically, took over the game and carried the team.

I just don't see Lebron doing this.

P.S. On the other hand, I know Durant cannot do this all by himself either. [He never did with Russ and Harden at the back court while at OKC.] Or... Curry or Thompson for that matter.

#448 Zach, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Antoni, The Dark Knight and JetBlue like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

Yep. That was awesome to re-watch. Jordan was one of a kind. And again, those Jazz teams were good and fully deserving of an NBA Title, but Jordan was better.

One thing I will say about Lebron is why pass up opportunities to take important shots? I have never seen a more important or Top player pass up chances to other players more than Lebron and it is a knock on him career-wise. You'd think he would realize that sooner and attempt these big shots because missing them is less upsetting to fans than never taking them. At least to me. I think he has gotten better with that the last few seasons though but it is a memory fans will have about him.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's the difference between Jordan and Lebron, maybe.

I believe this came from Grant in one of his interviews; in the crunch time, with the clocking winding down, Jordan almost always went "Pass me the damn ball and get the hell out of the way." And you know, they won.

That was the kind of leadership needed in the past, maybe. Maybe that's old-school leadership that doesn't fit in today's basketball world. Who knows?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Because he's not alpha. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kobe, god I can go on forever, were all alphas and would have cut your throat to take the last shot for the winner. Hell even Sidekick Scottie was a pseudo-alpha when Jordan retired. Remember when he threw a hissy fit when Phil didn't give him the last shot?

I think the ONLY, and this is a fucken joke, big playoff shot LeBron has is that buzzer-beater against the Magic in like 2008-2009. You know what the kicker is? LeBron lost that series to Dwight Coward as the #1 seed.

Why does ESPN keep replying this garbage? He lost the damn series, who cares really.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

LeBron's biggest issue compared to Jordan is that he doesn't have the PR spin that Jordan had. This thread is the classic example. Grown men talking about how Jordan battled the flu once and fought through the adversity, carrying his team.

Give me a fuckin break, LeBron carries shitty Cleveland on his back every season. He's out there beaten and battered and maybe.......gasp! he even played sick once. [he just didnt have his PR team tell us all about that like jordan]

ya'll eatin up the soap opera bullshit. LeBron needs a better publicist to write a cute story too, maybe model some underwear for you guys like Jordan did. '

Btw- - Michael Jordan was/is a selfish dick, just bein real.. LeBron James is a family man, very philanthropic. even if LeBron wasn't the better basketball player, and he is, I would laugh at the Jordan buttkissing

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Yes, those Jazz vs Bulls series were some of my favorite finals games of all time. Jordan was just too good.

Lebron is a bit more versatile than Jordan, however. Jordan was a great scorer, near unstoppable, and had top level defense, but Lebron racks up lots of assists on top of that and does more distributing. His size allows him to play any position on the court. He's not near Jordan level in talent, but he could get close to his accomplishments when his career is said and done.

As many people already said, the game has changed so much since then. It is near impossible to compare. Today, it is all about the super teams, which means it's not just usually one player carrying the team and taking all the big shots.

#453 Sam Hammer, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It was Steve Kerr and NOT MJ that hit the game winner against the Jazz to propel the bulls to another championship.

It was John Paxson and NOT MJ that hit the game winning 3 pointer that won the series against the Suns.

So in both comparisons, Lebrons and Jordan’s teammates made big shots to help team win.

This is getting silly!!

15. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Been listening to LA radio all day. Lots of pipe about Kawhi, LeBron, and George all teaming up in LA. I think the Lakers can get Kawhi and George but not LeBron. It's interesting though, what hypothetical Big 3 is stronger? Paul+Harden+James or Leonard+George+James?

I do hope the Lakers at least get Kawhi Leonard though. I would like to keep Brandon Ingram but Lonzo Ball and his annoying ass dad can go.

16. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Not silly at all. LeBron has no game winning shots in the Finals yet. Jordan has though. And Jordan played in less Finals.

17. The Dark Knight

It's still a team sport. You can't do it all alone, even Lebron or Jordan. Jordan couldn't win 1 title, let alone 6, without help from teammates and he had some great ones. That is why Lebron is being praised this year, cause his Cavs team around him was literally terrible. As for taking the big shots, Jordan wanting them and Lebron not wanting them are just what my eyes have shown me.
    I'd like that. The Lakers would be fun again. Yeah, Ball and his Dad can go no matter what, if it were up to me. :D

Side Note: This Jordan/Lebron talk is on page 23 of the thread! :)

Antoni likes this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Popovich may trade Leonard but I think there’s no chance he trades him to any team he requests to go to.

19. The Dark Knight

What was with him this year? Wasn't he cleared to play and decided not to or something? Odd situation.

20. Sam Hammer

Why do people think that game winning shots are all that matters? I understand clutch is important, but a game is the sum of all the scoring put together. These days you see more dishing from superstars, IMO, so setting up a quality shot on offense and getting that wide open look can often be better than your best scorer forcing up a poor quality shot even though he may hit them quite often.

I get that Kyrie hit a finals clinching 3 pointer, but what good is that shot without Lebron's 29.7 PPG or 8.8 APG or 11.3 RPG in the finals? I'm not saying clutch doesn't matter, but it's vastly over rated.

It kind of reminds me how a QB can suck for 3/4 of a football game, then light it up in the 4th and he is praised for it as having some mystical "clutch" ability. But the only reason he needed to be lights out in the 4th is because he sucked for the entire beginning of the game. Sanchez comes to mind. Everybody always talked about his comebacks, but they were only necessary because of all the turnovers and bad decisions earlier in the game.