More good news on darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

in the 15 takeaways form mini camp

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-takeaways-minicamp-mehta-20180614-story.html

1) Sam Darnold has STAR written all over him … and the Jets know it. It’s a matter of when it’ll happen, not if. The rookie flashed all the traits that made folks on One Jets drive downright giddy after he landed in their laps in April. Let’s get something clear: Darnold will experience growing pains, but his gifts are special. He was a surgeon in the red zone on the second day of minicamp, beating the defense with touch passes (dropping a beautiful TD to Jordan Leggett) and bullets (to ArDarius Stewart and Jermaine Kearse).

My favorite two plays actually came on incompletions. On Day 1 from about the 15-yard line, Darnold made a great read and fired a pass a little too high for Stewart in the end zone. But it revealed that this kid can sort through the clutter and chaos and make the right decision in a congested area. As Jeremy Bates said, there’s very little time between when he processes information, makes a decision and gets the ball out of his hands. He’s going to get burned at times with that gunslinger DNA, but experience through time will help him harness those powers. He made such a beautiful pass to the deep sideline on Day 2 before WR Tre McBride dropped it.

Darnold is terrific on the move. That was evident from his success on misdirection plays and designed rollouts. The guy is money when you move the pocket. He’s also improving on spitting back all the West Coast offense verbiage in the huddle.

Is he perfect? No way. There are still refinements in his transition from taking snaps in the shotgun to under center. Todd Bowles’ defense got the better of the rookie at the end of Day 2 during a two-minute drill that prompted the quarterback to chuck the ball off the field in frustration after a simulated sack. He still needs to better sync up his timing and anticipation on throws, but he’s getting there.

“He’s able to go watch himself on film and see what he did wrong and move forward,” Bates said. “That is the process of growing and that’s exciting.”

Perhaps most importantly, Darnold is also unafraid to let his supporting cast help out.

“I like him,” wide receiver Robby Anderson said. “I just like his game. I like his attitude. His arm. He knows how to throw the ball … and I like that. … A lot of quarterbacks sometimes are afraid to make throws if they don’t see space. He trusts you. He’s going to put the ball up and let you make a play. So, I like him a lot.”

Jets fans are conditioned to expect the worst when it comes to quarterbacks. But relax, folks. Sit back and enjoy the ride with Darnold. He’s got the goods.

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

That was an unusually positive article by womanish. It had very little snark and backhanded comments. I had to go back a couple times and make sure it was from him.

stinkyB, The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

champ positivity. . . Mehta positivity . . . I'm sensing a . . . a very strange pattern. It's like we received confirmed alien contact from deep space.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Or their accounts were hacked. Now they are spewing fake news.

Brook! likes this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

So far so good, although I'm taking this with a grain of salt. You have to love the kid's attitude and professionalism. It will be interesting to see how it goes when regular training camp begins. If he wins the starting job, that will be a very good sign because Teddy is no slouch and McCown is at least competent.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. jetophile

No offense to you but I am sick of hearing the word kid! It has become gratuitous pervasive overkill over-use and annoying! Did I fail to mention tiresome! It gives me headaches and makes me reach for my Bayer assburn more than usual these days! DefenseWinsChampionships is one of the biggest perpetrators! Kids calling kids a kid! At this point I wish people would call young players sluts and cunts to mix it up a little! The only time I want to hear the word kid again is if Brook! is on a hot date! I bet his street name is Billy the Kid, that sick pervert! I bet no-one got the Word Play! You're all idiots!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This was a horrible post saved by the brook/goat reference

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I am cautiously optimistic however, I was pretty happy about Chad too until he started getting injured thru no fault of his own. I will wait and see how they bring Sam along and what they do to both develop and protect him.

9. jetophile

Thanks, kid! :mad:

10. jetophile

Cautiously optimistic? It's getting weirder and weirder around here.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

God, this is just a bad post....kid you not.

FJF and jetophile like this.
  12. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Cut the guy som slack, I'm sure he was KIDding!

I'll show myself out now.....

13. jetophile

One of the biggest takeaways for me from the article to be honest was the ham-handedness of it. "He was a surgeon in the red zone . . . " All I kept thinking of was Ed Norton from 'The Honeymooners' when he faked being a Dr.

"He was a surgeon in the red zone . . . "

[​IMG]

Sam Darnold: "Don't touch me! I'm sterile!"

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member