Anthony Bourdain Dead/Suicide By Hanging

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jun 8, 2018.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Humans are walking, talking judging machines. People always say "don't judge" but it's a line of bullshit. We're all judging everyone around us, on the tv, radio, internet ... everywhere - all the time. I wish people would stop pretending like they're above it. "Only God can judge" ... pfffffffffffffffffffft - LML!

joe likes this.
  2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Yep, damn straight. But at least I know the thing I'm judging them about.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ur a dumbass. All you are doing is disagreeing with us. It's fine to disagree but you aren't anymore credible on the subject.you don't even know what kind of education or experiences I even have here, so piss off

These days people don't ever disagree they just try to discredit counter opinion. It's pretty stupid. I think it's selfish to commit suicide in general, but especially selfish when you have a young child. That's my opinion. Disagree that's fine but neither of us are authorities on the subject so piss off with that don't know what we're talking about shit

JetBlue likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ Yep, e.g. a babe's walking down the street - invariably the "would you do her?" question comes to mind.

And forget the "don't judge a man unless you've walked a mile in his shoes" argument when it comes to suicide. : )

I'm sorry that Bourdain (whose irreverance I liked) felt that desparate, but no man (i.e. with family) is an island

#64 joe, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

OK, something I can totally agree with you on in this thread. I'm not above judging anyone or anything, are you kidding me? I don't believe that was directed at me at all, but crap like "Only God can judge" is just another reason why I'm an affirmed skeptic/borderline atheist. It is actually in my Will that I do not want a Christian burial. I won't know it, I'm getting cremated, but in a cruel twist of fate, it will probably happen to me, anyway.

That being said, pretty much the only people I personally judge are rapists, pedos, those who beat and rob the elderly, nursing home abuse, Hitler, the RCC, cults and the idiots who belong to them. I'm sure I left something out. I'm not making a wah excuse over depression. I have no clue why your Grandmother killed herself, and it's fine if you hate her for it. So it's really not the judging part. It's the lack of understanding that is insoluble because the entire monster of it is insoluble. Again, sorry for your loss.

6. jetophile

So my long posts make you want to commit suicide! I absolve you! I bet you never even made it through 'War and Peace!' Because you're lazy! Reading long things is like pulling teeth! Aren't you a dentist! I hope you made it through dentist school, where you had to read things about nerves! Guess what one of my favorite books is, Prince Myshkin! 'The Idiot' by Dostoevsky! Suicide! It's always about YOU!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

#66 jetophile, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. jetophile

I'm probably the only one who got that because yes, I speak joe. It's like Esperanto.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

and more people actually thought you were funnier than me. I weep for my people.

jetophile, Brook! and FJF like this.
  9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

My grandmother killed herself when my father was a teenager. I never knew her, so no need to "sorry for your loss" to me. I probably should refer to her as my fathers mother since his father remarried and I always knew another woman as my grandmother anyway.

I am 100% atheist. The instructions for my funeral includes a full bar, midgets marching around singing "we all live in a yellow submarine" with intermittent breaks of them doing the "J-E-T-S" chant. No bullshit, my wife has specific instructions.

10. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Apparently you can be an inconsiderate fuck even if you're not depressed.

Mental illness is no joke. May you never have to suffer with it. You think people who are depressed are weak? You think depression is just something people could choose not to be if only they were strong enough? If so, then you're just ignorant of what mental illness is like and people with your ignorance are a big part of the problem as to why it doesn't get treated more quickly and effectively.

I haven't had to experience it firsthand, but I've dealt with plenty of it secondhand from friends and family members. People suffering from depression... people who are suicidal... they aren't weak. They aren't being inconsiderate. They are hurting to a degree that most people will never know.

Think of it this way... try to imagine how bad you would have to feel to even consider suicide a possibility. Hard, isn't it? Maybe your imagination or empathy isn't even well developed enough to get there. So maybe the response should be, "Wow. That person must be in really really rough shape to even get to that point." Just saying he's selfish for leaving behind an eleven-year-old daughter misses the other side of it, which is how bad must things have been for him to not have that matter to him.

So again, may you never have to deal with it. But if you do, and it happens to someone close to you, you better drop that bullshit tough guy attitude right away, because you'll only make things worse.

Antoni likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

About the grandmother "father's mother" thing: .that reminds me (and stop me if you heard this one already): . : )

This kid walks into his parent's bedroom while they are going at it. . Enraged, his dad yells: . "what did I tell you about knocking before entering?!!....get the hell out of here!!!" .and fires a shoe at the terrified kid running out the door....

An hour later, . the father's walking down the hall and as he passes his son's bedroom he hears a woman passionately moaning non-stop. . He opens the door and is shocked to see his son banging his grandma like there's no tomorrow. .The horrified father shrieks: . "what the hell do you think you're doing??!!!" ....and the son without missing a beat sneers:

. "oh yeah...but it's ok for you to fuck MY mother!"

#71 joe, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  12. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Maybe, this man felt like he had nothing to offer his family anymore....depression has no rationale.

Too soon perhaps, but, I swear Tony said his last meal would be at Jiro’s. What a liar

Brook! likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

People in the food biz in NY are talking about the ex-wife constantly bitching on him and interfering with visitation with the kid and a big blowup with the current girlfriend. All of it shit that a lot of people have to deal without pulling the plug. The underlying stuff is what makes the difference in how well it gets dealt with I guess.

14. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

From what I understand it's a chemical imbalance in their brains just like most mental illnesses. They are certainly not pussies. Pussies are the internet tough guys who can't for a second imagine that a grown man sitting there crying about to end his life has some issues other than just mental toughness.

We don't call people who get the cold or the flu pussies, I think suicidal depression is not much different.

Cappy likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I call people with a cold pussies all the time at work. Not the best example but I get your point.

I understand that depression can be a serious illness depending on its severity, but my problem is with the notion that everyone who kills themselves was suffering from some horrible depression. Come on now, you expect me to believe that? Lots of people just check out, call it quits, I believe that is selfish. Aaron Hernandez hung his sorry ass for example. Poor guy, suicidal depression, horrible disease, right? Of course not...

Now I dunno about the condition of Anthony Bourdain. But neither do you! Maybe he suffered from some advanced mental illness with no way out or maybe he was just a selfish asshole who figured he'd rather off himself than deal with life's daily struggles. I do not know and neither do you.

But every fuckin time someone kills themselves we're bombarded with reminders of mental illness and how the person who chose to kill themself is some kind of victim. And I don't think that is good for society at all.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  16. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Actually, he was pretty open and honest about his past with addiction and mental illness.

I mean, sure, if you want to say that neither of us were privy to his thoughts in the moments leading up to his death, then sure. But in that case, why believe you can know anything about anyone, since all you have are your own thoughts?

But here's a thought for you: Consider the face you present to the world. Does that persona show more or less weakness than what is actually in your head? Do you project more confidence than you actually feel? Or less? Are you more likely to tell others you're fine (even if you're not) or do you tell people you're worse off than you actually are in your head?

I'll bet anything you present a happier image to the world and have plenty of doubts about your self-worth. Most people don't show those, but they're integral to being human. The only people who don't have those doubts are narcissists, sociopaths, and psychopaths. (That's not an exaggeration.)

17. BrowningNagle

Exactly everyone has challenges and inner issues. I'm not saying I don't. I'm not saying he didn't either. I don't understand what that has to do with this conversation.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

19. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I’m saying that you have two ways you can respond to this. With empathy. Or skepticism. I don’t get the people who lead with skepticism about something like this.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay, so I stand by my earlier statement that suicide is no joke.

On the other hand . . . .

I do love the classics:

“Guns are the best method for private suicide. Drugs are too chancy. You might miscalculate the dosage and just have a good time.”

-PJ O’Rourke

The Waterboy and FJF like this.