It's the offseason , not much to talk about. stumbled upon this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

It’s pretty clear from everything that’s been leaked over the years that this is basically exactly what happened.

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

It’s hard to give Parcells a lot of credit with 4 first round pics.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We can review the list of 1st rd picks since then ;)

Plus don't forget Coles in that draft too

FJF likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he did not walk following an 8-8 season. he walked away from the franchise after a 9-7 season. When you are using 7th round "busts" like Chuck friggin Clements to bash the guy you know you are being a little ridiculous. I'm not even the biggest Tuna fan but shit bro we were a punchline before he came here and he brought in hall of famers like Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, John Abraham and we were less of a joke. some would say, successful, considering the division titles those players brought us. (and still the only ones since the merger)

but go on bashing him for Peyton Manning being an entitled bitch. I would blame Manning myself but maybe we should all kiss manning's ass

LogeSection2RowJ, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Now that's a quality rant.

6. BrowningNagle

in that 2000 draft there was a lot of talk that the Jets were willing to give 3 of the first rounders to Cleveland because they and everyone wanted Courtney Brown. the Browns wanted all 4 1st rounders and the Jets mercifully declined. What a shit show that woulda been

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He was 9-7 in 97. 8-8 in 99 his last season !
    His draft picks:
    Busts..

RickTerry
    TerryDay
    Lamont Burns
    RayAustin
    TimScharf
    ChuckClements
    SteveRosga
    Dorian Boose
    Scott Frost
    Kevin Williams
    Casey Dailey
    Doug Karczewski
    Blake Spence
    Eric Bateman
    Chris Brazel
    Dustin Johnson
    Lawrence Hart
    Jason Wiltz
    Jermaine Jones
    Marc Megna
    JJ Syvrud
    Windrell Hayes
    Tony Scott
    Richard Seals
    Ryan Young

Played well on other teams:
    James Farrior
    Dedric Ward
    Leon Johnson
    Eric Ogbugu
    David Loverne
    JP Machado
    Anthony Becht

Hits
    Jason Fergerson
    Jason Fabini
    Randy Thomas
    Shuan Ellis
    John Abraham
    Laverneus Coles
    Pennington (derailed by injury) can't bame the GM for that .....
    I will continue to blame him for Manning. He passed on him and having Manning would have been the difference in the future of the franchise at that time and for years after. No need to kiss Manning's ass , and unlike you, I don't see a reason to kiss Parcels ass.

101GangGreen101 and LF911SC like this.
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That's he's had a whole lot less talent at his disposal so a comparison is a waste of time? Fact is if Bowles made these mistakes along with trying to score with a half back option @ Detroit costing us a playoff spot, completely screwing up the QB spot that whole season beyond the Tupa screw-up and a number of clock managent issues hed be called out as an idiot all day.

#28 LF911SC, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Not really. What he said was that he couldn't promise if someone made a ridiculous offer, like the Ricky Williams trade, he wouldn't take it considering how much help the Jets needed. Plus he knew Hess was dying, he was on the clock to win now. And Peyton wasnt a guaranteed FQB.

I agree, BP was a horrible grocery clerk. And that's part, a big part of his legacy with the Jets.

#29 LF911SC, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    stinkyB likes this.
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the bad feelings for Parcells is due to the Belichick fiasco that ensued. Otherwise draft picks or no draft picks, he lifted us to a place we hadn't been. Shame that our "golden era" moments have been so fleeting. Nothing sticks. I never really felt it with Herm, but I thought were heading towards good things with Mangenius, and I mistakenly thought Rex was going to change everything for us. In Sam we trust.

johnny, FJF and NYJalltheway like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

8-8 in his last season as coach. He stayed on as GM the next season and went 9-7 with Al Groh as coach.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yup, 2008-2010 was our last real Super Bowl contending era, but we collapsed in '08 and lost 2 AFC Championship games. The 1-4 finish in '08 made me realize why "Same Old Jets" is a thing. I was not old enough to experience the pain of the AFC Championship loss in Denver.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Al Groh was 0 for, hrrrmph, I'm too cranky! :mad:

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

But he gave us the "Green Lantern" Chrebet T Shirts (Still have one) and that great win over Keyshawn in TB on that Curtis Martin TD pass to Chrebet. My wife and I were visiting my parents that day, and the shout I let out when they scored that TD scared the sh*t out of them :D

FJF likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree Tony, Parcells handled the Peyton situation terribly. I give Parcells credit for getting us out of the Fake Spike era, but he could have really cemented his legacy much more if he wasn't so close-minded.

Amazing how Parcells, a man that has incredible football IQ, would reject a QB that has a great feel for the game. One of the smartest QBs to play the game. That was the book on Manning even before he got in the NFL.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

please explain how parcells cost the jets peyton manning.

parcells was playing the numbers game that everyone plays. hoping against hope that you dont lose your qb. his bigger issue was sticking with mirer who really let everyone down too long before going with ray lucas. and not having a better backup qb on the rroster.

herms success came because of what parcells left him which was a very solid if not aging team.

17. 101GangGreen101

He played the numbers game and got severly burned. All Parcells had to do was look at the film and say Peyton if you come out, we will take you at the top of the draft, why play the numbers game ... Peyton was a great collegiate QB. Sticking with Rick Mirer was a huge mistake. On a smaller scale, we did the same thing in 2014 sticking with Geno when we could've had Derek Carr.

18. BrowningNagle

Parcells couldn't talk to the amateur Peyton Manning. That would be illegal tampering. For some reason that never gets considered in this narrative...

19. 101GangGreen101

I really should have said his father. Not Peyton.

20. BrowningNagle

exactly. the only thing that entire narrative is based on is Archie Manning's word. The same Archie Manning who stabbed the Chargers in the back with Eli with backroom deals and is proven liar to spin the PR machine for his kids.

Peyton was coming back to Tennessee regardless if Parcells kissed his ass or told him to kick rocks. It just sounds better to say he didn't get commitment that Parcells wouldn't trade it vs. the alternative......