Chris Herndon arrested for DWI

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Darnold's dad is taking him out for his first legal beer? I did that with my sons, and I called it the Irish Bar Mitzvah.

#41 Since1969, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and egelband like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

"Nothing in life is worse than a wasted talent".

-A Bronx Tale.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:D Well done, @Big Cat!

Big Cat and Royal Tee like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was just sports, but athletes - the good ones - get so coddled that they merit special mention. Yes, movie stars and politicians - anyone famous - all get this treatment, but this is a forum about sports, so I focused on that.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Surely you mean why can't these supposedly intelligent young athletes not do fucking drugs and get pissed up and go for a drive.

They have a 10 year career if they are lucky and can earn an astronomical amount of cash in that time, enough cash to get fucked on what ever their pleasure is when they retire.

Are they actually retarded or something, it amazes me they can pass any exams at all tbh

#45 K'OB, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Bellows1 likes this.
  6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I don't believe they drug test during the season. Here's the deal

NFL players are tested for recreational drugs once a year, during a window mandated by the collectively bargained substance-abuse policy. That window opens in the spring (this year, coincidentally, it’s on 4/20) and ends early in the preseason. But largely because of the cost of dispatching drug testers, the vast majority of players are tested during training camp, when they’re all in one place. All a player usually needs to do is make sure he pisses clean by the time he reports to camp, and once he’s tested, he can smoke as much as he wants for the next year.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I believe most of them smoke weed for pain. I do, it works. Are you a red neck, you sound angry

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Aren't they subjected to random tests throughout the season? Here's a link:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...-grannys-house-nfl-drug-testers-will-find-you

A player was tested in December.

I doubt the NFL cares about the cost of the drug tests

9. K'OB

Erm, not a red neck, you don't get many of those in the UK, yeah you smoke it for pain, as good as excuse as any I guess.

I also guess the part that smoking weed is banned for pro athletes has alluded your pot addled brain.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The sad thing is the players have limo service available to them 24/7 365.
    The Jets have an anonymous service called Player Protect and the NFLPA offers PTL (players transportation link) to every player , current or former , also anonymous. Players can request a stretch limo, Hummer, Escalade when a party bus. There really is no excuse.

11. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I don’t smoke weed. I take a liquid drop that does not have much cannabis but works for pain. I would rather them smoke then drink and drive. Whatever we can agree these guys r stupid and should just stop while they athletes because it goes fast and they can wait till they retire. Weed will not be tested for next bargaining contract. Owners r just using it for next negotiation. It’s all bull shit n they all know it

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I feel your pain.

13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Next year I want us to get Darnold a big, strong aggressive receiving target.....the kid needs a safety valve.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We already have enunwa

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We have bigger holes than WR that need to be addressed next offseason.

16. K'OB

That is all my point was to begin with, when they retire they can get stoned/pissed as much as they desire, it just seems silly to me to fuck your career before it has even got going ie Herndon

17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Uber was invented for Jets tight ends.

18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

From Cimini...
    Sounds like the plot of Death Wish 3.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  19. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

This guy is lucky to be alive.

The State Police should be able to tell from the damage etc. whether Herndon's version of the accident is accurate. I wonder if the State Police took this accident seriously enough to bring out one of their accident-reconstruction guys? The estimated speed (100 mph) is possible but it sounds high. Be careful of speed estimates by laypersons based only on visual observation. I wonder what Herndon blew on the breath tests?.In the end, that's the most important question.

20. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Another article here:

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/06/jets_chris_herndon_dwi_arrest_here_are_details_of.html

Details of Jets rookie tight end Chris Herndon's DWI arrest from earlier this month have emerged.

Herndon, a fourth-round pick out of Miami, addressed the incident during OTAs, saying "this is not who I am" about his arrest, though he declined to provide any details of what occurred.

After a records request, the New Jersey State Police Department released the incident report to NJ Advance Media.

Here are all the important details.

When, where it occurred
    Date: June 2
    Time of arrest: 4:45 AM
    Where: I-80 Westbound in Rockaway Township

The incident
    Herndon was arrested after he allegedly crashed his SUV — a 2018 Nissan Armada — into another SUV, a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, per the police report. The driver in the Toyota was a 76-year-old man.

Important facts (All according to the official police report)
    • Herndon failed field sobriety tests and at the police station blew a 0.14 percent BAC on a breathalyzer. In New Jersey, a person is guilty of drunk driving if they operate a vehicle with the Blood Alcohol Concentration level of 0.08 percent or greater
    • Upon striking the second vehicle, Herndon's car flipped and slid about 700 feet. One of his wheels was stuck in the side of the second vehicle.
    • A witness claimed he saw Herndon driving at greater than 100 miles per hour. Herndon told the police officer he was driving 58 miles per hour.
    Herndon's details
    Per the police report, Herndon told the police officer on the scene that he was coming from New York City and heading to Florham Park. He said that as he turned into the lane to take the exit, what he thought was a Nissan — the aforementioned Toyota — hit him and then sped off. The hit, Herndon told the officer, caused his car to flip.

The police officer questioned how one of Herndon's tires could've ended up stuck in the other car if the other car caused the accident. Herndon couldn't explain that.

When asked how fast he was going, Herndon said 58 miles per hour.

The officer asked Herndon if he had anything to drink, and Herndon said "not a lot" and admitted to drinking two half-full cups of wine. The officer "observed a strong odor of alcohol emanating from his breath" and "watery, bloodshot eyes."

After conducting multiple tests to determine his sobriety, officer determined Herndon to be under the influence and unfit to operate a vehicle. He was placed under arrest and hand cuffed.

Victim's details
    The second driver, Albert Elliott of Manalapan, was traveling while hauling a small 1995 black flatbed trailer and towing a yellow rail motor car.

Elliott told the officer that he was going to an excursion and Philadelphia when Herndon hit his car in the side. He told the officer "I thought I did something wrong, but the whole side of my car is caved in."

Witness details
    A witness said that Herndon's vehicle passed him going "at least 100 mph or more" and then a mile ahead he noticed a vehicle (Herndon's) flipped on its side. The witness pulled over to help Herndon when he saw a second vehicle behind him on fire.

Investigation
    After investigating the scene, the officer determined that as Herndon attempted to change lanes in order to take the exit, he struck the rear of the trailer and rail motor car. The impact caused the motor car to be pushed into the vehicle, and Herndon’s car proceeded to continue forward and struck the side of the second car.

Herndon’s front tire and rim detached and remained stuck in second vehicle.

Punishment?
    Herndon faces potential NFL-imposed discipline, including a possible suspension. The NFL usually waits until a player's legal case has concluded before it hands down discipline.