ESPN makes up a new team rating/projection system. Decides the Jets are the worst in the league

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, May 29, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

More accurate headline:
    ESPN attempts to stay relevant, fails

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They could have ranked the Jets 1 and my opinion would still be that this is extremely stupid and ESPN is completely irrelevant.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I just hope we can get to -4.5 at the very least so we can pass the fish

it seems doable. -5.3 to -4.5, not too far away ( i think) :D:D

JetBlue and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Well, as a Mets fan, it’s just 39 more weeks until pitchers and catchers.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Three of the bottom six are in the AFC East, so obviously from a win-loss point of view it is pretty much impossible for things to actually turn out this way. At least one of the teams other than the Pats is going to win 7 games. Add that two of those teams have a completely blank QB situation in terms of any data, and you know this is beyond meaningless.

On the other hand, I could believe that all three are in the bottom third of the league in terms of proven talent.

Brook! likes this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If I gave a fuck, I'd pick this a part starting with how they define their scale and the grading criteria.

8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

We are going to shock the NFL world next season. All the experts at Bleacher Report...I mean ESPN are going to look silly when our J E T S. JETS! JETS! JETS! go to the playoffs with Captain Hammer as our starting qb. :D

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There's no accountability there for their accuracy.

They lead the throng of robots with fake news.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Maybe theyre trying to double down on last year's 0-16 prediction...... either way, what do you expect from a sports "news" source owned by Mickey Mouse? He probably lets Goofy make the predictions....

Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Based off that silly list, I think we are better than Miami, Cardinals, Colts & Bills on paper.

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

On paper we didn’t vastly improve over last year, but the assumption should be that our existing players should improve a lot because we are a young team. What I don’t get is that some writers have us being the worst team in the league. I really don’t see the case for regression this year.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mickey Mouse at his psychiatrist’s office. Dr says explain to me again why you think Minnie is crazy.
    Mickey says I didn’t say she is crazy, I said she is fucking goofy.

Cidusii likes this.
  14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Not that it means shit but I love the experts are under estimating us again. Once one site starts they all follow just like last year. 0-16 worst team ever. I love playing the under dog. Keep it up media. Thank you

FlaJet, JETS1116, donkey and 2 others like this.
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Huh. I feel the exact opposite. We have improved tremendously on paper. Still some areas we need to fix but if last years team can win 5 this team can win 8 easily. That’s how I feel but it’s may

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont quite understand how the patriots are first, they lost quite a few players and didnt replace them with anything phenomenal. i hate things like this they are silly wastes of time.

TwoHeadedMonster and NY Jets68 like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In the preseason, FPI uses a number of predictive factors to project future team strength. The main component of preseason FPI is Vegas expectations; the expected win totals and money lines for each team are an accurate representation of predicted team strength and provide a strong baseline for teams entering the season.

But relying solely on Vegas has its flaws, and more information is needed to determine what percentage of a team's projected win total can be attributed to its offense, defense and special teams units -- the components that make up FPI.

Translation: Vegas odds are the only real predictor of success. But we added other variables because overfitting is fun amirite?

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

LOL Wow. We lost like one decent player and he didn't even play well last year. We've approved at multiple important positions. And now somehow we are the worst team despite not even being the worst last year?

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Details would be interesting. It appears that McCown would get the highest QB score as a returning veteran rather than either Bridgewater or Darnold - so who do you think they used? It also looks like continuity at head coach should bring a higher grade but who wants to reward continuity after two years at 5 - 11?

All things considered, I have no problem with the system - there is an ugliest baby in every nursery even if the parents don't want to believe it's theirs. ESPN didn't just come up with the system and the methodology is explained quite well in the article from August 2016 so this looks like the third season coming up. I wonder what the track record looks like?

#19 Ralebird, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I get so triggered when I watch ESPN or NFL Network these days.

It's either:
    A) Ex-players that don't know shit about what they're talking about and just try to give you the ol' razzle dazzle and hyperbole
    or
    B) Some Ooooooooooooooold way out of touch ex-frontofficesomething that refuses to say NFL, but instead has to say "National Football League" with emphasis just to remind you of the importance in case it was lost on you.

A lot of the freelance twitter scouts are more in touch than these dinosaurs that keep rehashing the same old material like clock work when asked to come up with analysis. They're lazy and it shows on screen when they are asked pointed questions and they divert with slight of hand techniques. See Herm Edwards, anytime he's ask something specific he'll give all sorts of animated expressions and exasperated sound effects but don't expect a concise studied explanation based of current facts.

#20 DarrelleRevis.Human?, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018