2017-2018 NBA discussion thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I didn’t forget them at all. I think the Celtics team I mentioned was a harder playoff out because they were much better defensively than that Magic team and had already won a title together.

Also, that 72-10 was an all-time great team (imo, better than any team Lebron has played on - of course, Jordan gets credit for that)

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha guess I did bring up Kobe earlier! I did not compare them. I stated all 3 are great. That is my point. I don't know what is in your head to put down Kobe or any others and say Lebron is the best. Not singling you out though, because you are not alone. Many fans do. I just don't get why. Kobe was clearly amazing. Lebron is clearly amazing. Jordan was amazing. Duncan was amazing. Curry has been amazing. Shawn Kemp was amazing. Okay, I went one too far, but fans should just enjoy these players for who they are. All-Time greats.

zace and NYJalltheway like this.
  3. slimjasi

No, I only bothered to mention the one team that was arguably as good or better than any Eastern conference team that Jordan ever got through to reach the Finals. But, here are two other "decent" (lol) teams that Lebron got through on his way to the finals:

The 2007 Pistons team whose core of Wallace/Hamilton/Prince/Billups had already won a title together and been to two NBA Finals (losing in game 7 to the Spurs in the second one)

The 62 win 2010 Chicago Bulls team that was led by MVP Derrick Rose (although, admittedly, I thought Lebron was the real MVP that year - as he is basically every year)

(Note: Both of these teams had home-court advantage against Lebron)

Again, the "decent" comment was pretty silly.

#283 slimjasi, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. slimjasi

All three were amazing, but Kobe doesn't really belong with the other two. Jordan and Lebron are legit GOAT candidates.

So, when you write that MJ is the best you've seen play, "followed by Kobe and Lebron," I have to wonder if you really think Kobe vs. Lebron is a legit debate.

5. slimjasi

Agreed.

Kobe is probably the second best shooting guard ever (Jerry West would have to be in the discussion, as well) and probably a top 10 NBA player of-all time, but I'm not sure how anyone who really watches and understands basketball could compare him to Lebron.

#285 slimjasi, May 28, 2018
  6. slimjasi

Yeah, Jordan definitely transcended what he did on the court, to a certain extent. He's a true icon/legend.

But, I like to limit these discussions to impact on the court. On the court, Jordan was a better pure scorer than Lebron is, but Lebron is better at everything else. No one has dominated every facet of the actual game (i.e. scoring, rebounding, passing,and defense) like Lebron has.

#286 slimjasi, May 28, 2018
  7. slimjasi

With Cleveland's current supporting cast? Maybe. I'm honestly not sure. Consider this: Jordan was 1-9 in the playoffs before Scottie joined his crew. Now, in those 10 initial playoff games, he was insane. He averaged 35.5 points per game in those postseasons. To be sure, he was easily the best player on the court. But, the point is that he never won big surrounded by mediocrity like Lebron has. Lebron has now gotten to two NBA finals with teams that would not even be in the playoffs without him.

8. The Dark Knight

Those are just the best 3 I have personally seen play. Not comparing. I put Jordan at #1 just based on Jordan. I don't compare him to anyone.

Yeah, that was not a real question. Just meaning fans keep throwing out all these hypotheticals that can never be truly answered. You guys all make good points and are knowledgeable on the game. I wasn't trying to upset anyone. I just think they are all good and should be treated as such. Fans are putting Jordan and Lebron in their own category now. That is fine, but all we can truly do is talk about it, so I don't think that matters.

slimjasi likes this.
  9. slimjasi

Haha, I hear ya, man. I'm definitely not upset. And, I certainly have no issue with anyone who says that Jordan is the best ever. Jordan was unbelievable.

But, I just think that what we are witnessing with Lebron is truly unprecedented. His ability to just do everything on the court as well or better than everyone else (and to get everyone on his team involved, in the process) is just remarkable to me.

Ultimately, you are right. This is all just fun chatter to pass the time.

#289 slimjasi, May 28, 2018
  10. The Dark Knight

Yep. And what impresses me the most with Lebron is that he is the Team. Leaves Cleveland, they become unwatchable, Miami goes to 4 straight Finals. Leaves Miami, they fall down to Earth, leads Cleveland to 4 straight Finals. I am positive in saying that won't happen again. If he leaves Cleveland after this run and takes a 3rd team to the Finals next year, that would be unreal, yet most people would not be surprised. That is how good he is. Plus you would assume he will join a team with a better supporting cast.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A third player belongs with Jordan and James but it is Kareem Abdul Jabar not Kobe.

Ultimately Kobe’s game is simply too similar to Jordan’s but one notch below. The moment you can identify a similar player who is above you, you unfortunately drop a tier. But Jordan, James and Jabar there simply is no other precedent.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much my point tho. Its really not to compare, its more to just point out how we are seeing one of the greatest athletes ever dominate a sport full of other professionals. Not to mention doing so in the greatest basketball league in the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im telling you dude, if that dropped SNL skit doesnt sum up Cleveland, i dont know what does

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have been reading this discussion amongst you guys with great interest. My basketball watching days go back to when Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Rambis, Mcadoo, played against Bird, Mchale, Parrish, Ainge, Dennis Johnson.

It’s a very difficult thing to determine GOAT when you have 9 HOF players on the court at the same time.

While there have been some great arguments made for Lebron, Jordan, Kobe, the question remains.

Who would you choose first to start your team?

Guys like Magic and Bird came through time after time not just against mediocre teams but against HOF teams.

Wilt, Shaq, Kareem and Bill Russel were indefensible.

It’s a very difficult argument to make, however I would put Lebron right up there with the top echelon of players that would have to be considered as a first choice to start a team with.

If he had HOF players on his team to help him win championships he probably would have 5 or 6 by now.

#294 Red Menace, May 28, 2018
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Great points there. I get that for sure, I don't disagree.

But the problem is that most of the Jordan people don't put it so eloquently. They legitimately want to say Jordan was better on the court. Basketball people know that's not true

slimjasi and Red Menace like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kobe was an all time great scorer in terms of volume and I personally loved his on court attitude but he doesn't belong anywhere near the Jordan - LeBron - Kareem even Magic Johnson hierarchy.

Scoring is only one part of the game

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Dr. J was already controlling the air before Jordan came along. Too many great players in the history of basketball that don’t get credit for things MJ did.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. slimjasi

[​IMG]

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

LeBron has had impressive feats, but the Eastern Conference for the majority of LeBrons career has had some low quality competition.

Pistons with Rip, Billups and Wallace
    Celtics with KG, Allen, and Pierce
    The new Celtics.

Then you had the Wizards with Arenas, not sure I put them as elite competition. Same with Indiana.

Toronto deserves no love.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

For a conference with supposedly great teams there has been an incredible amount of pathetically bad play in this series. I know losing Chris Paul hurts tremendously, but missing 29 out of 30 three-point shots is a joke, and even in a game they're going to win, the Warriors have looked like they have no clue to run plays for much of the fourth quarter.