2017-2018 NBA discussion thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The bolded is fairly absurd.

For example, as I have mentioned elsewhere on this board, the Garnett-Pierce-Allen-Rondo Celtics that Lebron 's Heat finally beat in 2012 was probably more talented than any Knicks, Pacers, Heat, or washed up Pistons team that Jordan's Bulls beat en route to the finals during the 90s.

Red Menace and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It gets harder and harder to argue against every year. The dude is in his 15th year and has been legitimately dominating the league, in a manner never quite seen before, for over a decade. It's just crazy.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They should continue to play Jeff Green and sit Kevin Love. Best defensive effort they've had all year and their worst defender couldn't play due to injury. Not a coincidence

slimjasi and zace like this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Kobe was nothing without shaq

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Kevin love is hot garbage, he gets more credit than he deserves as a player

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is one in 8 years and during a stretch when Lebron was on a Superteam himself. The point is the road to the Finals in the East has been MUCH easier than the West during this stretch. Not even close. You still have to win the games, stay healthy, and be clutch in crucial moments. Lebron has done that and deserves the respect he is getting.

Is that an inside joke?

Antoni likes this.
  7. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

2nd best shooting guard of all time. Nice definition of nothing.

8. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

You forgot the 90s Orlando Magic with Penny and Shaq that Jordan swept in 96. That was a really good Magic team and they got destroyed.

That Celtics team you're talking about had 2 good years in their whole tenure. Year 1 they were unstoppable and beat the Lakers in the Finals. Year 2 KG was hurt and they lost to Orlando in the ECF(Orlando beat LeBron's #1 Cavs in the semi's that year). Year 3 they lost to the Lakers in 7 as the #4 seed.

So LeBron had basically one season where he was severely outmatched(2007-2008) but the others were very winnable. Jordan didn't stand a snowball's chance in hell with his Bulls team vs Bird Celtics and Bad Boy Pistons.

#268 Antoni, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

How much did he do without help? Nothing, he couldn't carry a team like LeBron. He needed Gasol.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Is a fact

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I know the West has been better, but the East is not as bad as we are advertising

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I love Gasol but he couldn't even make the playoffs by himself most of the time. Even when he did got in as the #8 seed and was one and done. He hasn't won anything on the Bulls or Spurs since leaving the Lakers.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Very true, but he helped kobe. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Kobe kids literally nothing. He was a very good player, but he could never carry a team like this.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

At this point, and I understand why people dislike LeBron, but shit man at this point if you are still one of the Jordan was better people, I mean you just aren't watching the games or you are letting your hatred of LeBron could your viewpoint.

I loved Jordan but he couldn't do what LeBron does, man to man.

LeBron woulda been even better in the 90s and especially on that Bulls team. He easily wins the same amount of championships Jordan won

15. The Dark Knight

Kobe won 2 NBA Finals and went to a 3rd without Shaq. Literally the opposite of Nothing.
    Could Jordan beat the 2018 Celtics without their 2 best players? I don't understand why fans feel the need to talk like that.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think the reason why Jordan remains in his status to many people is because Jordan not only did things we never saw before but created the current marketplace for player branding that every athlete enjoys today. He revolutionized all of sports; for all of LeBron’s talk of branding his shoes have Jordan’s name on them, and he wouldn’t sell anywhere near as many shows if they weren’t Jordan’s. James’ personal brand is RC Cola compared to Jordan’s brand. That means something.

Could Jordan beat LeBron one on one? Doubtful. LeBron resides in uncharted physical territory between Shaq and Jordan. He’s incredible and undoubtedly the “best” basketball player I’ve ever seen. But I think the term “greatest” player is undoubtedly being used to not only describe ability but impact on the game. Jordan undoubtedly had greater impact on basketball and that is why he remains at the top.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

LeBron has been to what 8 nba finals?

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Very solid post

19. The Dark Knight

9 right? Got swept in 07 too. It's impressive, but I don't get why you would put Kobe down or say that. Kinda ridiculous. He won 5 NBA Finals and went to 7. Those are just Finals stats. Obviously he was an amazing overall player too. Just not sure why Kobe was even brought up.
    Yep. All good points. Jordan is (6-0) in the NBA Finals, including winning 3 straight twice. Those are all factors. I just don't understand why people would want to compare them or take something away from Lebron. He has been great, but every time he does something his fans bring up Jordan, and it is unfortunate.

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You brought up kobe, and stated jordan was the best player youve ever seen. So youre comparing. Anytime kobe has ever been successful he had all stars. Thats not a knock against him, but he has never willed a team the way lebron has. He's Lebron got swept, but lets not ignore the fact that he brought a team that had no business being in the finals to the big dance by himself.

Kobe had a great career, when compated to lebron, hes nothing. Its not even close imo. The way lebron plays is nothing short of amazing.

You are correct tho, Jordan and LeBron are very different players in different times, so we will never truly know. [​IMG]

slimjasi likes this.