Have a Great Memorial Day weekend

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by CBG, May 26, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Get out there while the weather is allowing it and enjoy the time with friends and family ! Lets not forget what Monday is all about - All Gave Some , Some Gave All -Thank You !

#1 CBG, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Here here, c. Home of the free because of the brave

NYJFOREVER, CBG and jetophile like this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^Yeah, was just gonna say it's not just about white sales and furniture clearance. Thanks for saying that.

CBG likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

True, really nothing happy about Memorial Day.
    Just an hour ago said, "Thank you for your service", to an older gentleman wearing a Vietnam Vet hat and he just said thanks but then added, "Wish they would have said that when I came back 50 years ago."

6. Rollo Tomassi

It’s incredibly awful how those Viet Nam vets were treated when the got back.

Unwarranted Pariahs.

I was 13 when that war ended.

Geez.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure about this. My home town had a Viet Nam memorial dedicated in 1975. Only had a few names on it because it was a small town, but I believe the vast majority of everyday people bore no ill will at all to those that served in nam.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think where you lived may have played a big part. It could also be the negative stories as always gain the most press so those that were treated badly got in the news and the happy welcome home groups got none. Enough of that though.

To my father, uncles, cousins and all the others that served, thank you. Picture below is from my great uncles interment, went down in the mountainous jungles of New Guinea in WW II, remains were not found until 60 years later.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Wrote Borneo instead of New Guinea

#8 The Waterboy, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Brook!, jetophile, Dierking and 2 others like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Vets have been treated badly in this country...used by the Government for political causes rightly or wrongly..

They protect the US ..that alone should give them the best benefits and treatment...but truthfully the VA system is a mess. When you sign up you can get College and Prof school paid .BUT none really read the the terms..(small print>>>you could get killed)

On top of all that , we now are letting NFL players protest the Flag and Anthem ..which is exactly what these men and women sacrificed so much for SMH7xs

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Dierking, post: 3701092, member: 6014"I believe the vast majority of everyday people bore no ill will at all to those that served in nam.[/QUOTE]
    Dierking I was a kid but Im old enough to remember and it depends what someones interpretation of "ill will is" . I remember watching what was going on the news and also have a cousin who I am very close with who came home and it was a very tough go for him. . Those were sad times for far too many of those guys , sadly it was NOT just a story or incident here or there. In keeping with this thread Thank You !

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

VA should just get shuttered. Put all vets on Medicare and be done with it. We know that works well enough.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

They caught shit from many in the anti-war movement who used the term "baby killers" esp. after the unconscionable Mỹ Lai masacre.

13. jetophile

I remember the original post. It was very humbling. I said I wished I could like it again (meaning twice). So yeah, I got to like it again.

The Waterboy likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And this thread is certainly not the place for that argument to start up.

alleycat9, The Waterboy and FJF like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My Lai was just awful..we all protested back then to get the troops HOME

It really gave the Military a bad name ...the Vietnam War was a major mistake ..some say part of the military /
    industrial complex to getting the US involved in wars for short term economic profits with certain defense contractors

The Vet nam war ultimately hurt the US economy and produced thousands of vets with PTSD You can't compare today's Terrorists with guys in black pajamas who wanted to have a Communist Government .(so what) ...the Govmt led us to believe Communism "had to be stopped"

The real losers were the Soldiers who signed up but got shunned by the Public and given a bad VA system of care

God willing Peace will one day be profitable too

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. Rollo Tomassi

You know what? I think I may have overstated my post because I’ve been led to believe how awful Viet Nam vets have been treated.

It’s what I’ve heard, what I’ve read, it the narrative. I can’t say from personal experience how accurate that is.

I honestly can’t say. It’s probably pretty bad but I just don’t know.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

as always i remember those who have lost their lives in the good name of our country. 1.2 million or so from what i heard at the parade we marched in earlier this morning. There are alot of things we can argue about and have differing opinions about but honoring those who have died i dont think anyone can oppose.

Enjoy your memorial day. can we move this thread to the jets forum for the day?

CBG likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Amen, @CBG! Happy Memorial Day, everyone. Thank you.

CBG likes this.
  19. jetophile

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it's complicated. My natural father became a tactical photographer for the Navy and signed up voluntarily at 20 years old on the advice of my paternal natural grandfather. He didn't want him to be conscripted for mano a mano. So he went Navy. We met when I was 30, and we are very close.

Natural father made Laos look like a tropical paradise to stay sane. The body bag photographs (he destroyed most of the negatives), not so good. He pretty much stayed high on weed most of the time and made the best of it. The best story was when he was high as fukk on acid and there was a firefight some miles away and he said, "Fireworks are nice. Wake me up if the Vietcong is here."

After his tour, he was a transient in Hawaii for two years and took amazing nude photos that are just incredible art. I swear, he can use a manual camera without a light meter and still get it right. It's amazing. The best Hawaii story after his discharge was when his Samoan sized landlord was chasing him and his roommate down the street for rent and they jumped into a taxi. Taxi stops short, gets hit by another car, glass breaks, he rolls down the hill and stands up unscathed. Why isn't there a movie called 'Hawaii Man'?

Damn, did we ever have our contentions. He can be very difficult in so many ways, but we read each other like Braille. Nature vs. Nurture, the never-ending debate. He just always felt mildly and vaguely controlled because of the Vietnam War. He wouldn't go to the VA for shit no matter how much I kept pushing him because he was so resentful. He is in a relationship (going on 11 years now) with a self-made woman (seriously wealthy, no lie) who really loves him. Because his girlfriend said it and not me, he goes regularly and most of his health issues improved dramatically. He's also a finish carpenter and does beautiful work. We already had a talk about what's mine and and what photos I want because I'm the oldest of the Three Graces (two other half sisters whom I love dearly).

I'll give you a prime example of contention: "'Moby Dick' is one my favorite novels. I went to Arrowhead and was blown away. Hawthorne changed the course of history on that one, which I already knew. It was amazing to me to be in the room where it was penned. Frank Stella is also working on some pieces. It's basically a nerdy paradise, but if you're ever up that way, you should go. I loved it." "I was never interested in that novel." "What?' Two months later: "Did you ever read 'Moby Dick'? A friend gave me an old copy. It was so this this this and that, poetic, loved it, man vs. nature, etc." An empty Barolo wine bottle over the head was in order. He's also a borderline genius, so there's always that. He can be very frustrating, but I love him dearly. He forgets my birthday half the time, but the hilarious part is if I want to treat him to dinner. "For what?" "Father's Day, you idiot." "Oh, right."

[​IMG]

#19 jetophile, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Brook! likes this.
  20. jetophile

[​IMG]

Nicholas Petrocelli. My neighbor across the street growing up. He only lasted three months before he was killed. I was only four, but I remember it like there's no tomorrow (razor like memory). 19 years old. I've told this story here and other places at least three times. At least his body was recovered. It was a sad time for 189th Street in Flushing Queens. I'll never forget it. At the same time, no-one would talk about it openly, mostly because it was painful, and partly because there was a bunch of hippie chits roaming around and no-one wanted to be bothered with their nonsense.

Brook! likes this.