I think Teddy starts all 16 games...(Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, May 4, 2018.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What are we really asking for on this thread? Who will start the season? Or who will finish the season? Or who do we want to be our starting QB?
    Three very distinct questions.
    The QB that shows the most in preseason is the one that starts the season, that to me is pretty obvious. Will he play the full season, well that is a totally different dilemma that will be dependent on his performance. Chances are McCown has the edge but Teddy could step right in and start if he is fully recovered. They will not, or they better not, start Darnold unless he is able to master the details of the offense in very short notice. No way they will rush him into a failure situation. He will not be exposed before he has had a chance to get up to speed. We can use this year to form him into our future FQB if that is what it takes.
    Who we want to be our starting QB is again a different challenge. Many want Darnold right out of the gate, or at least Teddy if healthy. I think McCown can hold the fort properly for a few games as well.
    At the end of the day, either Teddy or McCown, whoever starts, will be under the gun to perform or the bring in Sam chant will start sooner than later.
    What I really don't want is for Sam to start too soon, because once he does......there is no going back. Period.
    Hope Teddy really shines...the more options the better for us.

#241 LAJet, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Its been a long time since we had a QB who played all 16 games. I'll be shocked if any of them do. Best case scenario Bridgewater and Darnold are both great and we have trouble deciding who to play.

NY Jets68, egelband and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's only been 2 seasons since we had a QB play all 16 games. Fitz started all 16 games in 15.

LF911SC likes this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

You want to compare the Chiefs, who have been in the playoffs with Smith & were a playoff team a year ago with Smith? Or Rodgers, who dropped like a brick in the draft and was backing up a HOF, MVP, SB winning QB who was at the top of his game and a legend in GB to McCown and the playoffs deprived Jets? They really seem like similar situations?

5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sorry but you learn by playing. If Darnold is even with mccown or teddy you play him. He has the even keeled temperament to fight through the inevitable growing pains (look at Wentz. If the Eagles don't play him two years ago they don't win the super bowl this year bc he's going through those growing pains last year.) The whole ruining a qb by playing him too early is false as well. If he isn't good enough to fight through mistakes in year 1 he most likely isn't going to be good enough period.

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s 14 dog years

Peebag, TonyFtLaud and stinkyB like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Interesting theory. I feel like it’s been proven wrong a ridiculous amount of times.

sec314 likes this.
  8. LF911SC

If they're both healthy and Teddy isn't a percentage of his old self youre right. It's too early to know what he is after the injury. Hopefully he has most of his game, he'll be an asset if he is.

egelband likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In the clips I saw of the QBs in OTAs, Teddy looks by far the smoothest, and the ball comes out of his hand quicker than either Darnold or McCown. Of course, we don't know the routes their receivers were running, but every single time Teddy was paired up with one of the other QBs the ball always was out of his hand first.

The other thing I noticed looking at the video was that not only how skinny Teddy's legs are, but also McCown's and Darnold's. They all have skinny looking legs to me.

egelband likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you're wrong on all accounts. Not everything a QB learns has to be learned by playing or can be learned by playing. When one plays in games, one cannot focus on fundamentals. One is focused on executing the game plan, completing passes, moving the team, scoring and winning the game. One can't be thinking about one's footwork, release, throwing motions, etc. while dropping back to pass.

As far as Darnold's temperament, what you cite is only one possibility. Another equally valid possibility is because he is so young and is an introvert, that he could lose confidence if he starts immediately and struggles out of the gate or if the OL isn't doing their job and he's taking a pounding and running for his life.

No, the whole "ruining a QB by playing him too early" is NOT false. David Carr was good enough to succeed in the NFL, but he stood no chance playing behind that OL and with that team as a rookie. They ruined him. Sanchez could quite likely have been a better QB, and maybe even a solid starter had he not started day one and had a HC who had any inkling about offense, how to handle a QB, about discipline, and was mature himself. There have been quite a few QBs who were forced onto the field too early and failed. Perhaps some of them would have ultimately failed anyway, but I believe that a number of them would have been better and had decent careers if they had had time to get acclimated, learn pressure-free, and were groomed/truly prepared to play.

egelband and LAJet like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Even is the operative word. If he is as good as either of them then he is ready to start. Nothing here is different than what I said on my post. Darnold, however, has a much longer road to get ready that the two aforementioned QBs. Each QB is different and they mature (develop or fail) at a different rate. To say that ruining a QB by playing him too early is always false, is as false as assuming that what worked for Wentz will work for all QBs. Apparently sitting behind the bench like Aaron and Brady for that matter did nothing but good.

#251 LAJet, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    egelband and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. Teddy's Elbow

Teddy's Elbow Member

I could clearly envision drama this season, with Teddy playing his butt off, and management wanting to justify their Sam Darnold pick and politicking Teddy out at some point during the year and a lot of second guessing all around. Maybe one of those "mystery injuries"? This sign Teddy, draft a QB at #3 scenario is a ticking time bomb. Assuming the knee is fine obviously, the problems that will arise with this are the same as if the Jets drafted Sam Darnold AND Josh Rosen this year.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Hey Teddy's Elbow, can you let us know what his knee really thinks about all this?

NYJetsO12 and Greenstar like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Teddy is on a one year deal. This is very far from a ticking timebomb.

Literally everything has to go well for this to even be a conversation and that's just not realistic. I'm certainly hoping for it because it will be a great problem to have, but I'm definitely not counting on it. What is even the worst case scenario? Teddy plays well and they ditch him for a pick? Oh darn... Teddy plays well and they start playing Darnold just for shits? Odds are it would be because we're out of the race and there's no point in playing a 1-year rental over your potential franchise QB.

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hopefully Teddy's elbow gets back to you. Teddy's knee was banned from TGG. He had a screw loose, I'm telling ya. He appealed the ban but he didn't have a leg to stand on.

ok ill stop

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That explains why the practice field is covered in shit......:rolleyes:

FJF likes this.
  17. LF911SC

Have to disagree. No one is every going to blame anyone for picking s Darnold in the 1st. Here's a blue Chip, top QB prospect. No one is ever going to ask why was he drafted with Teddy under contract. Teddy who hasn't shown that he could stand on the field. Or who at his best wasnt anywhere near the prospect Darnold is. Terddy was brought in as a backup plan if the Jets couldn't draft a QB @ the 6 spot who had a chance of starting. Darnold is the Jets future, Bridgewater has no future here. I doubt anyone, outside of a handful of Teddy/Vikes fans thinks he does.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Todd Bowles is not going to get caught in a qb controversy. He will stick with whoever he names as qb until that qb shows he does not deserve to be playing anymore. Much to the chagrin of the tank crew of 2017

19. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Fitz may have started all 16 games in 2015 but old Rexy ultimately finished him, Fitz turned into Feetz and Rex devoured him.

20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

exactamondo!