Jets trade Hackenberg to Oakland

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Just a reply to the bolded comment.
    Hack actually did work with Palmer last offseasoff and pre draft in 16 and with Christensen this off season so he has been working on his craft. I think Hacks issue is more mental though. He has PTSD from the last 2 years at Penn State. Year 1 the team fed off his calm leadership but that was lost due to the beating he took the next two years.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Hack has worked with QB coaches in the off-season since he's been here. First Palmer then Christensen.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

On the odd chance that Oakland wins awards for their lemonade you'll have to rethink that sentiment.

It will never happen but I'd still like the coaching staff to answer your earlier question "What the fuck has he been doing all this time?"

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

What was my favorite moment of the Hackenberg era?

When I read he had been traded to the Raiders.

5. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

At this point I think it is fair to say that the Jets should just trade away all their 2nd round picks for whatever talent they can find. Anything is better than the perennial NFL dropouts and bench warmers that this franchise drafts with what is supposed to be our second highest selection. Maybe we can stock up on 3rd rounders? The Jets have better luck with those.

Let's not count our chickens. This is a conditional 7th round pick. We get squat is Hack doesn't actually make their roster for some amount of time. IOW, he has to actually perform now. So far all he has done is this.....

[​IMG]

#125 Aewhistory, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How dare they have to work hard and put effort into earning millions, fuck me.

FJF likes this.
  7. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

So they say if you have two QBs, you have no QBs...wtf does it mean if you have three? No Oline either?

8. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

On a positive note, hopefully Mac leared lessons from the scouting and drafting of Hack which he used in the assessment of Darnold. If so, Hack could have done us a massive favour (sort of).

Cman68 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was gonna say the same thing.. Macc hopefully learned several lessons here the least of which is not be afraid to correct a high profile mistake. Now we look at Devin Smith and his production and see if Macc pulls the trigger again. If he could get a cond. 7th for a Qb that never played, what can he get for a Wr who's always hurt thru no fault of his own?

donkey likes this.
  10. I dont think Bowles was ever enamored w Hack. If you go back to the post draft presser when he first got selected Bowles doesnt exactly seemed thrilled. But this was clearly a player who was going to need time to develop & by all accounts was a reach,if youre going to reach on a QB in NY for this team their better be a plan & their better be consensus synergy for the player..there clearly wasnt. Outside of a brief 3 week period last TC..its never seemed like Bowles had any intent on ever playing Hack..

Was this a Mac power move?Was Bowles disinterested bc it was an offensive pick? Theres a disconnect somewhere.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This was the best move for everyone. With the signing of Bridgewater and the drafting of Darnold the Jets had to cut ties with Hackenberg and I think Hackenberg needed a fresh start. The Jets potentially get a draft pick for a guy they were going to cut and Gruden and the Raiders get a guy they believe could be a good qb. Hackenberg gets to start over and everyone is happy. Every team misses on draft picks. This was a big miss for Mac and the Jets. That being said the experiement is over and we need to move on and focus on what we got now. I saw someone else say it. McCown, Bridgewater and Darnold make for a good qb room and a fun one to watch to see who starts the beginning of the year and what happens in October and November.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  13. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I liked Hack coming out of Penn State. I knew he'd be a work in progress and I never led myself to believe that he'd one day be our franchise QB, but I liked the potential in him. Unfortunately, it just never came to the surface and his game/talent was worse than I thought it was while watching him at Penn State. I think I, like others, got caught up in what he did under Bill O'Brien as a Freshman, ignoring his Sophomore and Junior seasons because of the Head Coach, who actually has really turned the Penn State program around and probably took too much flack in his early years because of Hackenberg's decline.

I wish him the best in Oakland. The kid showed no ill-will towards the franchise/coaches up until yesterday, when he probably knew something was up. It's fine though. I would be frustrated too if I were him. Maybe he'll turn into a viable back-up in Oakland/Las Vegas. Stranger things have happened.

MoWilkBeast and K'OB like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I not sure what you mean by not be afraid to correct a mistake. Hack was here for 2 years, the first was a planned red shirt year where he was never going to see the field the 2nd he couldn’t play his way into the lineup and now he is gone. That’s moving about as fast as you can to correct the mistake.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

to me, this signals Teddy's knee is looking good. Which is great news.

I'm very happy to move forward with Darnold/McCown/Teddy this season.

As for my favorite Hack moment, it had to be when he got absolutely smoked on a blitz against the Lions in preseason last year. LOL

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'd say Bowles is probably the last person you'd blame for this one. Hell, I blame Hack before I blame Bowles. Mac took a gamble and he got burned for it. Bowles HANDED him an opportunity to take the job and he fell flat on his face. Don't you think Mac wasn't out there every practice, watching the Jets coaching staff just pour a ridiculous amount of reps into him? You can't expect a coaching staff to take a player that is severely broken and turn him into a well oiled machine, that's not how the league works. They red-shirted him and gave him a plan that rookie year. Hack lost his job to Petty, when that happened ... I think Bowles was ready to move on.

Coaches obligation to this game is to give the players the tools to play at the next level. It is not their obligation to re-tool their throwing motion 3 years in. Besides ask yourself this question, is Hacks throwing motion, the true reason why he sucks? I don't think so, he has shitty pocket presence and is a complete statue in the pocket. Slow when it comes to making reads. I think the Jets tried to fix that no doubt. End of the day, Hack did not put in enough work and lacks the drive to be a starter in this league. I think the bold is a complete contradiction to what we saw as fans last year.

I will praise Mac's effort for moving up in the draft and grabbing Darnold (however, we don't know how this will work; I hope it does and we don't regret just standing pat at 6). However his best picks to me were starring him right in the face.

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  17. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

In most cases it's if he makes the roster the Jets get a 7th if not they get nothing.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He will end up on Oakland's practice squad. I doubt he makes that team. Does that mean we dont get that 7th round pick?

Also, there is nothing to feel sorry for Hack about. He was given every opportunity. Last year they practically were begging for him to win the job in preseason and he sucked. He couldn't hack it. The NFL is not supposed to be easy.

He bristled a little on his way out about the staff not helping him with basic fundamentals but I'm sorry the staff's job is to try and win football games. Holding a kid's hand, teaching him to do basic dropbacks and basic throws, that's not the NFL. Especially in this day and age when they aren't allowed to practice as much in the offseason.

Acad23, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

It’s not about believing me, it’s in the CBA.

Why? The same reason there are no more 2-a-days and less hitting in practice and a whole bunch of things that have pussified the league.

Because the players demanded it when they negotiated the current CBA.

NY Jets68 and Since1969 like this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

To be fair, Mac already did let go of Devin Smith. He waived/injured him last year but since no one else claimed him he reverted back to our IR. Really no reason to cut him now that we’re allowed to have massive offseason rosters, but I’d imagine he cuts him again in training camp.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.