Jets trade Hackenberg to Oakland

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He obviously was horrendous in practices and behind the scenes. So much so, the coaching staff would not let him see the light of day on the field. You don't draft a QB that high and hold him out for any other reason besides the fact he is terrible. I loved the pick when the Jets made it. I was dead wrong, as was Mac. That is life. Accuracy can't be taught, so I am not sure Hack will ever have a successful career now, but at 23 I don't think he should give up. The Jets just don't have time to wait.

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He gets a fresh start and good for him. I don't hate him. He's a good kid that worked hard but never progressed. Maybe he will one day but I'm not optimistic. He may need still another year on the bench before he's worthy of an NFL snap. It's just not happening here with Darnold, Bridgewater, and McCown. Happy trails.

3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The only thing that somewhat concerns me at this point is McCown is hardly a guy that can be counted on for his health and with Teddy, who knows whether he can even play. Personally, I would've rather they kept Petty as the #2 behind McCown, released Hack and never signed Teddy. Keeping Petty as a serviceable backup to Darnold long-term. Not really a big deal, it is what it is...

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I blame Bowles for not seeing that he did everything possible to try and get Hack at least competent enough to play mop up or emergency starts. It's beyond conceivable that a 2nd round pick could be THAT bad. I accept that he wasn't nearly worth a 2nd round pick, but Macc IS a professional, and he must have seen something in Hack to make his gamble worthwhile, and it's that "something" that I wonder where it went. I just think Bowles had no idea how to develop a rookie QB, especially one that needed the help that Hack did.

I blame Macc for either being fooled about Hack's ability, for not insisting that Bowles and his CS devote more time to developing Hack, and finally for not recognizing that Hack was a lost cause LAST year and not taking a QB in the 2017 draft. We'll likely never hear, but I would love to have Macc explain exactly what he was thinking when he used that 2nd rounder on Hackenberg.

Finally I blame Hack for not being more aggressive in seeking out his own QB coach much sooner, like after the 1st year.

I just pray that Darnold erase all this like a bad dream.

NYJetsO12, twown, CotcheryFan and 2 others like this.
  5. Over a 3 year span this has never happened w a 2nd round pick;ever excluding injuries.Thats alot of horrible busts to consider that all saw time justified or not. NFL is a business too.Part of a HCs job is to recognize whats good for a franchise from a wider lense..especially one thats been perpetually out of contention in December for going on the 3 years in question.locker rooms know its a business too.When week 16 & 17 of losing seasons roll around young players & high draft picks are gonna get a look-see.

I can understand your argument under A.1 year premise B. A winning team C.A solid QB situation D.At the very least still in contention in December. But not one of those conditions were even close to holding true in this scenario

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I don’t blame Bowles for anything.

Hack was an incredibly inaccurate QB but more importantly couldn’t handle an NFL pass rush or learn to read defenses adequately enough to deserve to step on an NFL field.

Bowles basically tolerated Hack being on the roster.

I don’t blame Hack for sucking or for becoming shell shocked by a pass rush. Turtling was a natural progression for him.

I blame Mac for taking him thinking he could fix him. He saw how awful he was at Penn State. He never should have drafted him.

But thankfully it is over.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

FJF likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. He already has. Petty and Hackenberg are now history. A couple minor-risk project picks that did not work out. It all comes down to Darnold now. Some posters have said why not keep Petty or Hack in case Teddy's knee is not good, McCown gets his annual injury, and Darnold gets hurt? The answer is: The Jets would be screwed anyway then. Season Over. So I agree with moving on from both now. Truthfully, Bridgewater and McCown don't even matter. It really is Sam Darnold's team. For 2018, 2019, and hopefully the next 15+ years.

8. Rollo Tomassi

It’s not that he didn’t deserve it.

It’s that he was so bad Bowles couldn’t in good conscience put him out there.

He was a deer in the headlights and Bowles didn’t want to embarrass Hack or the Jets.

Hack would have been LOLworthy out there.

Walt White and FJF like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I both agree and disagree. I'm afraid if a guy can't consistently hit the bullseye then a coach can't help him unless he finds something to fix in the mechanics that repeats each time the throw goes awry. Assuming that was not the case I do have a problem with the part about reading defenses and handling the pass rush - that is what coaches are for and it's reasonable to expect a kid coming into the NFL would need help there. He didn't get it. My concern is who's there now to help Darnold.

94Abraham likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

For the Love of God, Amen.

Lol at having to blame Bowles.

FJF likes this.
  11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Gruden loved Hack back when he was drafted. Remember this?

12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

We probably don't have a top 20 QB on the roster right now. But we might be the only team in the league with three top 40 QB's. Can't imagine the Jets have ever had that before.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Disagree.

Some kids are physically superior than everyone else as kids and teens and high schoolers and even into college but they don’t have the mental capacity to continue to dominate when everyone else physically catches up to them. No amount of coaching can change that. Not if the capacity is not there.

Hack was a HS phenom that was overmatched once he got to PSU (don’t believe the hype about his freshman year, he was extremely underwhelming) and he got worse and worse as time went on (don’t believe the hype about Franklin changing what foot he dropped back with or changing the offense not to suit him, he was just awful).

But the pass rush at PSU DID destroy any confidence he had and no amount of coaching can change that. We all saw him in preseason games, he was constantly looking at the rush and pressure made him turtle.

He’s toast.

It’s not a failure of coaching, it’s a lack of mental makeup both to learn and to disregard a fierce pass rush.

14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Or... the CS didn't want the truth to be exposed by Hack. 2 years and no development, that reflects as much on the CS as it does on Hack and more so on Mac for wasting a 2nd round pick when he could have picked him at least 2 rounds later. I get dumping a guy who bad mouths the team but I think it was just honesty on Hack's part.

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Good post CC, but this part seems unfair. As a rookie, when you break into the freakin' NFL, naturally you assume you're getting the best instruction possible. Expecting him to realize that he needs extra help outside the organization at age 22 is asking a lot.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Hackenphlegm got picked up by the Raiders. Yes, I heard. It was time. I don't mean time to go to the Raiders, just that it was time. If the Raiders are on the schedule in 2019, bet your bottom dollar he will manage to pick the Jets apart and shred them along with the rest of my dignity. Did he actually talk shit, though? Lol.

17. Rollo Tomassi

I don’t think so. I think many of these kids, even at 19 and 20 years old are living with professional QB coaches in the offseason and all of them go to multiple QB camps.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Sounds right. But isn't your NFL team helping you out with that stuff? Just seems like once you're in the league, all of your off-season shit is going through headquarters at some level.

I find it hard to believe that the Jets just cut Hack loose last off-season with no guidance.

19. Rollo Tomassi

CBA severely restricts contacts with coaching staff and I’m not sure NFL teams are invested in QB schools. I think the fraternity of QBs looks out for QBs.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is a part of me that feels nothing but sorry for the way things turned out for Hack. You guys can blame it all on Hack but I believe there is a lot more to the issue than his so called inability to hit targets. I would love it if the Raiders turn this kid around, make him successful, and cast a giant shadow on the ability of our CS to develop raw talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.