Anything specific you need to see from Sam to know "he's the one"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, May 21, 2018.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Since this a slow period and we really don't have much- let's pose a hypothetical.

What few things would you like/need to see from Sam to know "he's the one"?

Does it need to be a comeback win? Does it need to be a crazy deep out threading the needle? How about audibles that turn the game? Does he need to say something clever after or before a game? Does he need to be knocked out of the game with injury, only to return to win a game? What if he beat the Pats in NewEngland?

Curious as to the mindset ... At what MOMENT will you know?

Don't say "after we win the SB". Try to be granular.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

OP: Did you always know?

Me: Oh, no. No, I didn't. But I believed...I believed.

FJF likes this.
  3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm looking for one particular moment. They'll come. But I just want to see an obsessive commitment to all aspects of the game. Studying film, the playbook, staying in great shape, always being one step ahead of the defense, being a great communicator with teammates. After watching how idiot Geno and overwhelmed Sanchez just embarrassed themselves and never improve, I just want to see Sam be known for having a Rodgers/Brady/Manning like work ethic.

The physical tools are there, and he's already shown to be a savage on the field. I just want to see Sam continue to pursue perfection and never be content.

CotcheryFan and Sec124DieHard like this.
  4. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Great question. I’m looking forward to the feedback here.
    Personally, I just want to see him make some adjustments at the line, arrange a nice blocking scheme, and get a first down passing to a tightend or an H-back.

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

"Being The One is just like being in love. No one can tell you you're in love, you just know it. Through and through. Balls to bones."

He needs to be able to show what he showed at USC, like escapability, playmaking, accuracy, leadership etc. He needs to show improved ball security. Everything else will fall into place over time.

PS. Stopping bullets mid-flight and flying are nice to have but not necessary.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I came here to say I will know when the oracle tells me but you already took the matrix joke.
    Nice job

themorey likes this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If he could be any mythical creature in history, which would he choose.

And more importantly, why.

themorey likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I believe pre snap reads and recognition separate the good QB's from the great ones. Sam already shows good escape ability and great ability to throw on the run. If he can get reading defenses pre snap, line calls and audibling down he will be a very, very good QB for us.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  9. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

I think I want to see consistency. No dumb mistakes. I know the WOW moments will come.

themorey likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Haven't we already seen Bowles smiling?

Think that might be enough.

themorey, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just improvement day to day, week to week. I want to see him stop the snowball that will happen at some point.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its hard to comprehend this because we've had shitty QBs forever. But most teams debate whether their QB is "the one" even after years of success.

If Darnold played like Matt Stafford, for example, we would be thrilled. But in Detroit seemingly every year Stafford is questioned as to whether or not he's the "elite". Same with guys like Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo,Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Etc.

so my point is, this debate about when we're going to realize Darnold "is the one" is probably going to last years

themorey, FJF and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I want to Sam to become someone who his teammates would go to war on the field for. Sanchez had it his first few seasons. Geno never had it. Fitzy had it in 2015. He has got to command respect in that locker room and he will do that by being the first one there, and the last to leave. Work ethic separates the good from the greats. This is the NFL. Every single guy out there has immense talent. Its the ones who want it more than anything that go on to be great.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

When he runs face first into Brian Winters’ ass and fumbles away a touchdown.

Kidding aside, if the week 17 game in Foxborough means anything and he wins it, that’ll be a pretty strong indicator

themorey likes this.
  15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I want to see him command the offense and the players around him.

He needs to show improvement as time moves on, mostly in the form of getting more comfortable with the offense and as the leader of the unit.

One thing, today is the start of camp. This is the slow time? Lol

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  16. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Week 17 when the Pats are gunning for a bye week and he walks in to Foxborough calm, confident and he balls out. I'm not even sure i need to see him win that one. Just show that he's at home in that level of pressure playing essentially a playoff game on the road. If he can show that "he belongs here" during that game, it will go a long way to anointing him the franchise QB we've been praying for.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I think he needs to have a moment similar to what Carson Wentz did last year, when he was about to be sacked, somehow escapes, and throws a seed down the field for a completion. He has similar athleticism and scouts rave about his escapability and ability to make something out of nothing. I feel if he has that one play where he makes me go WOW, I'll be totally sold. Of course having command of the offense and actually playing well and making the right reads most of the time will help, but all of the great NFL QB's have that one unbelievable moment.

I'm all in on Darnold as the future, but just give me that moment that will have me replaying a play or game for years to come and finally screaming, "THE JETS HAVE A FRANCHISE QB!"

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I don't think there is much debate where Flacco is concerned. He's been the worst starting QB in the league the past 3 seasons and 5th worst over a decade. He rode a great run game and elite D to a Super Bowl win and some mistakenly label him elite. Or a FQB.
    Cam seems to be regressing , not improving. Romo always had that face plant moment in big games and never broke through. Alex Smith took years to develop and still is not elite. Rivers is unfortunately like the baby brother to Brady, Manning, Wilson and Rodgers . I'd definitely say he is elite but it seems every season he has a career year, one of the big brothers do something historic.

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I want to see Darnold learn to read a Defense, make proper pre snap audibles , and make plays from the pocket. Hopefully the turnovers (fumbles and interceptions ) prove to be correctable.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good luck, Maria.

a/k/a 'Shaun Ellis, the Musical'

Royal Tee likes this.