Nathan Shepherd Bold Comparison

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 21, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Most of you will probably tell me I'm crazy for even saying this, but after watching film and workouts of Nathan Shepherd, I can't help but draw comparisons to Fletcher Cox. Here are a lot of ways that they compare and why I think that Shepherd will be a very solid player for us, despite being from a smaller program:

-Both are incredible athletes for their size (hand speed, quick off the ball, agile)
    -Use their hands well, pack a punch and can drive back blockers
    -Both drew double teams at the college level
    -Both have extremely high motors and relentless in pursuit, good character guys
    -Both we're considered raw with their technique coming out of school, Cox still mainly uses strength and tenacity alone to get home. He is not known for an array of moves. Shepherd will be similar
    -Cox was only a 2 year starter

Cox is from a larger program and was younger coming out, but Shepherd is in amazing shape and has low mileage, he can play into his mid 30s.

Barring injury, I will stand behind this post and I think he can be an immediate contributor. The kid has the right mentality and will do anything to succeed, but also has raw ability.....which is where he differs from a guy like robot Mauldin.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll go with he wants it, he wants it bad for $400, Alex. DAILY DOUBLE! Who is Nathan Shepherd? I do believe I would've lost that round if I said 'what is' in this instance, so I stayed the course.

The more I keep reading about him, the more I'm down with this pick. He sounds very determined and grateful for his chance, and I can't see him sitting on his laurels if he does well and hits pay-dirt. I mean, I can't bench-press 20 lbs. no matter how hard I try, but there is something to be said for effort and work ethic. I think it's safe to say he has both. So, yeah, agreed as to your last sentence.

Noam and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  3. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Shepard is a great addition to our program. Me thinks he will be a starter by mid season.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I’m excited to see him play, but don’t have those types of visions of him for this year at least. I hate to over estimate for a kid coming from a small school. If he makes the rotation and gets Around 25 to 30 percent of the snaps it will be a good rookie season for him.

Noam and boozer32 like this.
  5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Hey, don't back off your claim just because you get hurt. Opine like a Jet.

But seriously, right or wrong, "bold" ideas that are well-considered and well-articulated are the lifeblood of the forum. Kudos. Funky ideas always welcome imo.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Look what they said about Emmitt Smith! He'll never succeed and everything else they said because he was small! Emmitt Smith talks like he has marbles in his mouth to this day! Still got into the HOF for being a compiler when he had zero chance of making it in the first place! Things can happen against all odds! Hopefully Nathan Shepherd speaks better English than Shannon Sharpe! Forget marbles! Shannon Sharpe talks like he has golf balls in his mouth! Hebbe Mebbe from Fat Albert! Oh, no! this has turned into a Bill Cosby rape thread!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Wrong! He is quite articulate IMO.

LF911SC and boozer32 like this.
  8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Whenever I think that I want to reply to one of your posts, I start to get the feeling that I would be interrupting an important conversation that you’re having with some of the voices in your head.

I love ‘em though!!

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!!!

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If you watch film of the senior bowl practices , I think you will be surprised how good Shepherds technique is. One on one , against the best o lineman in the draft, he was unstoppable. Even when double teamed , he won almost every time. I think he will be a starter at some point this season, likely by the middle of the season , and will be in rotation from week 1 .

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I admit it, I disliked this pick at first because we had bigger needs. I also felt that Macc was trying to be the smartest guy in the room picking a D2 player in the 3rd round. But after reading his story and realizing that he has talent, I'm rooting for this kid to succeed in the NFL.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He likely would have gone late round 2 if not for the broken hand at the senior bowl. The cowboys reportedly we're set to take him a few picks after we did. Wasn't really a reach at 72. Not a big name but was ranked a little higher than where Mac picked him.

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Looked good in those one on ones with the d1 guys too. One thing is for sure he's a man compared to Coples, Sheldon, and Mo. There was a real need on the defensive edge too

LF911SC and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Shepherd is not even that raw. His technique is better than people think. Love this pick.

15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Anderson/Williams/shepherd solid de rotation

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

17. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

The kid has the dive. If he can help generate pressure along with Anderson freeing up Big cat, then watch out.

18. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

He’s a great story and I get you’re trying to make a bold prediction, but we need to see him play in some actual games before we compare him to one of the best DL in the game.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Your crazy for even saying this

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Any relation to Pat Mahomes?