The Official 2017-18 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

When Cedric Paquette scores, it's bad news for the opposition.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You got that right! Tampa Bay is a great team, but the Capitals have shot themselves in the foot far too much over the last 3 games. Now they have dug themselves into a 3-2 hole. No room for any errors on Monday or it's lights out on a great season and a huge opportunity lost.

Red Menace, matt robinson 17 and CBG like this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

TDK , unreal how once you guys were down you dominated,,,I also could not believe how the Lightning sat back played defense and allowed your guys to come at them,,,,,,your guys are in a hole but they still have to win a 4th game its not over yet. I think there here will be a game 7.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Caps started off sluggish, it’s almost like they hit a wall and Tampa is catching their second wind.

It’s not over, Caps in 7.

JetBlue and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

Yep. Terrible start. Few bad bounces, and it is instantly 3-0. Not a recipe for success in the playoffs. They need the opposite start tomorrow.
    Yeah, that is exactly how it felt Game 3 and last night. Not sure why, but I do give credit to Tampa for coming out flying. The Caps need to do that Game 6, then that could give them an opportunity for a Game 7. That is my hope! :)

Red Menace likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Full credit to McPhee, but the league obviously botched the expansion draft, forcing teams to leave far too many good players unprotected. You can be sure that will never happen again.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You don’t think the salary cap had something to do with it? Teams knew they were not going to be able to pay all their star players as it is so they were forced to leave them unprotected.

Serious question, What do you think they could have done differently with the players that were unprotected?

8. The Dark Knight

Congrats to the Golden Knights. What a magical season so far. No doubt it my mind the Jets were the hottest of the 4 teams headed into the Conference Finals. Shows you how hockey goes. You just never know. Bad luck for @JetBlue not getting to see a Game 6 in town, but you should be able to experience all of the Stanley Cup Final hype around the town. Should be a crazy energy.

I thought the expansion draft was fair. I didn't think the Golden Knights roster was anything special. They just bonded together and have had a great run. Pittsburgh letting Fleury go seems crazy now, but at the time they had a young goalie in Matt Murray who was coming off of back to back Cup runs as a rookie. It made sense to let him go cap wise.

Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Maybe some sort of dispersal draft, involving the teams that didn't make the playoffs? Maybe the Knights would have had to put players on waivers after choosing a certain number so other teams would have a shot at them? I have no objection to the feel good story of the Knights, but they basically got the opportunity to "cut the line" in front of a couple of dozen other teams just because the league wanted the team in Vegas to start off on a good foot, and IMO they went too far doing it.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Expansion all Star team, not a true expansion team, imo, Islanders were a true expansion team and had to start from scratch

11. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Can anyone name another defenseman on Vegas besides Nate Schmidt? These guys played solid hockey. Wild Bill was nothing before he was taken by Vegas. The only players you could say that were gonna contribute for them were Neal, Marchessault(nice work panthers), Haula, and maybe Reilly Smith. Fleury was an absolute stud in net but Pens weren’t going to keep him AND Murray for yet another year. Minnesota and Florida completely fucked up this expansion draft. Credit to Vegas and especially to Gallant for keeping this group hungry and sound

12. The Dark Knight

I've watched the Golden Knights entire playoff run, and here is who I can name off the top of my head: Fleury, Schmidt, Neal, Karlsson, Engellend, and I think another former Cap: Cody Eakin. You mentioned Marchessault and Haula too. They might not have the names, but they are a great team. I am still amazed.

I am in a tough spot with the Capitals tonight. I really want to go and support my team. This could be their last game til October, but as I have documented on this thread, I am (0-3) attending games this playoffs. "I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious." - Michael Scott

#212 The Dark Knight, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    JetBlue likes this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Sorry if I wasn't clear. He painted it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

Game 7 for a trip to the Stanley Cup Final? Count me in! :cool:

15. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Leafs management team getting thin! First Lou goes to the Islanders, and today, AGM
    Mark Hunter is hittin' the bricks.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Had dinner by the stadium in Vegas last night — a great area and unfortunate there wasn’t a game to hang out and watch outside the stadium. I’m definitely going to catch a game here on my next trip.

But I will be home in time to watch the end of the Caps game. Caps were my pick for the Cup when the playoffs started; they let momentum get away from them after game 2 but all they needed was to get that win in game 6 to regain confidence.

Capitals win 4-2.

Red Menace and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

All the marbles tonight. Lightning win it 3-2.

18. The Dark Knight

I can't make a prediction. Excited though.

-The Capitals are (7-2) on the road this playoffs, including 2 wins in Tampa Bay.
    -The Lightning are (3-0) All-Time at home in Game 7's.
    -The Caps dominated Game 6 vs. the Penguins last year, then laid an egg in Game 7 to be eliminated. (Round 2)
    -In 2016, the Bolts had a 3-2 lead in the ECF, then lost Game 6 and Game 7 to be eliminated by the Penguins.

None of that stuff really plays any factor tonight. Just shows either team could win and either team could lose. The Caps dominated Game 6, but they had their whole season on the line. Now both teams do. Honestly both teams have reasons to feel good and reasons to worry. Should be fun for the NHL community tonight, but not so much for Caps and Bolts fans. Intense!

19. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is the best possible finals for the NHL — will Ovechkin get his cup or will the first year Knights complete the most improbable season, in perhaps, sports history.

Vegas’ D, other than game 1 vs Winnipeg, has been stellar. If Holtby is on his game, I think the Caps can outscore them. But if Vegas gets leads it could be difficult for the Caps to come back. Vegas can win this series but I picked the Caps when it started so I don’t see any reason to go back on it now. Caps finally win a series at home. Caps in 6.